Can an extra router help

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Don Phillipson, Jun 13, 2013.

  1. The WiFi router provided by the ISP died after 16 months.
    The replacement connected OK to the Internet via wireless
    (no cable to this address) and wirelessly to the PC one
    floor below, but could not connect the PC two floors below.
    Signal strength (as WinXP measures it) was 2 bars out of
    5. The earlier router had shown 4 bars out of 5.

    Unused hardware on hand includes other wireless routers,
    a Trendnet TEW 432BRP and a Realtech/Samtach WLAN
    v.1. Can I use either of these to amplify the ISP's signal
    well enough to reach the 3d PC? If so how should the
    extra WiFi router be connected. I first tried by connecting
    it to the NIC of the downstairs PC but failed ever to connect
    with the ISP's WiFi router upstairs.

    An anomaly is that the upstairs and downstairs PCs,
    though identical (IBM Lenovo M52) with the same OS (WinXP
    SP3) show different Network menus. The downstairs PC
    displays "Scan for Wireless Networks" in the expected
    places -- the upstairs PC never. Is this just because the
    upstairs PC is wired by NIC to the ISP's wireless router?
    (I went to the /Services page and turned on everything
    named either Network or Wireless, but this did not restore
    "Scan for Wireless Networks" to any upstairs menu.

    Don Phillipson, Jun 13, 2013

  2. Don Phillipson

    Char Jackson Guest

    Experiment a bit with the placement of the wireless router and the wireless
    PC, if possible. Sometimes relatively small differences in location and/or
    orientation can make a noticeable difference.
    AFAIK, just about any wireless router can be turned into an access point,
    but you'd have to run an Ethernet cable from there back to your wireless
    router. That's maybe not what you wanted to do. Some can be configured as a
    repeater, but that should be a last resort. Finally, some wireless routers
    can be configured as clients, in which case they need an Ethernet cable to
    your PC.
    If it's going to be an AP, it gets connected to your existing wireless
    router, LAN port to LAN port. If it's going to be a client, it gets
    connected to your PC.
    Yes, that sounds right.
    I don't encourage messing around in Services unless you know what you're
    doing. You should be able to get the wireless stuff to show up if you
    disconnect the network cable.

    Char Jackson, Jun 14, 2013