Can an ATA Access the net from a laptop with a wireless internet connection? TIA.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by Lisa, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Can an ATA access the net from a laptop ( HP, WinXP, P4, 1Gig) with a
    wireless internet connection? TIA.

    What I need to do is to connect my ATA (analogue telephone adapter) to my
    notebook's Ethernet connector and grant access to the ATA through the
    notebook's wireless internet. Is it possible?

    I'll explain further, I am on the road most of the time and I have an ATA
    that I use as my business phone. For the last year or so I used to go into
    my hotel and plug the ATA into the wall network connection and use it with
    no problem. Recently more and more facilities are switching to wireless
    access and wifi and there is no way for me to use the ATA because it only
    has a wired Ethernet connector (input). Now, I have my laptop as well and I
    can get on the net with no problem at these places using my wireless
    adapter. Can I plug my ATA into the laptop Ethernet connector and somehow
    gain access to the net through the laptop? I hope my question is clear
    enough and I further hope that some kind soul would be able to help.

    I want to try this route first to try to steer away from having to buy a
    wireless router and lug it around with me on the road! TIA.

    Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Lisa

    Rock Guest

    I don't know anything about ATA's but have you contacted the tech support
    for the device to find out?

    Rock, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Thanks Rock,

    here is a definition for "ATA" from the net;

    =====================================
    What is an ATA?
    An ATA is a device which acts as a hardware interface between a PSTN analog
    phone system and a digital network or VoIP service. Using an ATA, you can
    merge your PSTN phone system and VoIP service, or connect a LAN to your
    phone network

    My question, basically, can I connect the ATA "standard RJ-45 jack to the
    laptop RJ-45 jack and share the internet that is the laptop gets "already"
    from the wireless connection? Thanks again.

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Lisa

    GHalleck Guest

    I think I know what you are writing about. What is the name
    and model of the actual ATA device? But if the laptop already
    has a RJ-45 connector, then why not get a simple router or
    hub? There seems to be no reason for the ATA interface.

    GHalleck, Jan 21, 2007
  5. Lisa

    GHalleck Guest

    One additional question: Is the purpose of the ATA for voice
    communication only? That is, you want to connect a telephone
    set to the wireless LAN?

    GHalleck, Jan 21, 2007
  6. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Uncle Grumpy, The manufacturer has nothing to do with it? The ATA works fine
    as long As I can plug its Ethernet cable into a working internet connection.
    It is working fine At home plugged into the router of course. I am looking
    for a work around here and I think someone with networking knowledge can
    help. Thanks again.

    Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  7. Lisa

    David Hettel Guest

    What you could try is going into Control Panel | Network Connections | Find
    the wireless icon, right click on it, and then click bridge connections. See
    if that works for you. If asked what to bridge to, pick your wired LAN port.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 21, 2007
  8. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    GHalleck, I think you are talking about something else? You missed me here!?
    I am talking about a VOIP adapter. What I am looking for is a way to share
    the internet on the LAPTOP so my VOIP can work. Heard something about "cross
    over" cable but have no clue where to go from here.

    BTW, the ATA I have is a Sipura!

    Thanks, Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  9. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Correct!! The laptop gets on the wireless LAN at the Hotel through the
    wireless adapter. The Laptop has an Ethernet Jack as well, I want to know if
    the VOIP ATA can access the net through the Laptop's Ethernet jack? If I can
    do that, and I think I can, then I don't have to lug my router with me on
    the road as well!!!

    Lisa

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  10. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    Thanks Dave, I tried that but it did not work! Do I have to use a crossover
    cable between the labtop and the ATA?

    I think we are getting somewhere! I think you are the only one who knows
    what I am trying to do! Thanks again.

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  11. Lisa

    GHalleck Guest

    Lisa,

    The answer on how to set up the connection is buried somewhere
    here:

    http://www.voiplink.com/Linksys_Analog_Telephone_Adapters_s/51.htm

    This is a technology that we we not use due to the way we have
    purchased our cellphone agreement. IOW, I have no need for VoIP
    at the moment.

    HTH and GL.

    GHalleck, Jan 21, 2007
  12. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    can someone, plese, help me out with this...

    Lisa, Jan 21, 2007
  13. Lisa

    Mistoffolees Guest

    There has been a lot if information put into this thread at
    finding a solution. But the best ones seem to be those that
    recommend that you contact Linksys or whomever made the ATA
    adapter. If I were going to use VOIP, I would do it the same
    way as I would in the office by connecting a telephone headset
    (i.e., with mike and headphones) into the computer and having
    the application take care of the internet connection, be it
    wireless or hard-wired. But most of the time, the voice part
    is done over cell phones.

    Mistoffolees, Jan 21, 2007
  14. Lisa

    Mistoffolees Guest

    One addendum...we are reviewing BlueTooth as an option in
    future laptops. It might do everything that you described.

    Mistoffolees, Jan 21, 2007