Can a URL be too long for Netscape to handle?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I'm trying to riddle this one....

    Someone sent me a tinyurl link to show me a stapler they liked on
    Staples website:

    http://tinyurl.com/p3ms5

    When I pasted that into Netscape 7.2's browser bar it didn't get me to
    the correct page on Staple's website, but when I tried it on IE it did.

    the "expanded" tinyurl is:

    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&langId=-1&productId=101344&cmArea=SEARCH

    And, it reads the same on EITHER browser's URL bar.

    My inquiring mind want's to learn why that happened...

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    Subject: Can a URL be too long for Netscape to handle?

    The example is surely not too long.
    You left off some important information. You failed to describe the
    result you experienced with -1- using the tinyurl with that Netscape72
    and -2- using the full link with that netscape

    Netscape 7.2 was the last Mozilla version of 1.7.2 released in Aug 2004
    and is still available as an archived version.
    ... why *what* /exactly/ happened? I don't happen to have a netscape 7.2
    sitting right here.

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    It failed to get me to the right page in Netscape 7.2 EITHER way. The
    tinyury "expanded" to the full link I listed in my OP in BOTH browsers,
    and I even tried copying the full URL from the IE browser bar and
    pasting it into the Netscape browser bar with the same results, it took
    me to a DIFFERENT Staple's website page.

    Why I didn't get to the "right" Staples website page when I used that
    tinyurl in Netscape 7.2, but I DID get to the "right" Staples' website
    page when I used the same tinyurl in IE.

    Capice?

    Jeff

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:22:07 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    Would have to say yes.

    But what does the length have to do with the search parameters on the
    URL, cookies or entering the site via www.staples.com ?

    It will be this bit,

    webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=0&storeId=10001

    You haven't done any of the previous steps required to browse product /
    enter store.
    One of the problems, with all those parameters and cookies, most likely
    the sire knows you don't have a browser cookie so it's looking for the
    zip code, other options that may have been clicked on to get to the
    product.

    Back to the URL length issue, can lookup from www.google.com , using -

    maximum length of url

    http://www.google.com/search?q=maximum+length+of+url

    Maximum URL length is 2083 characters in Internet ExplorerMicrosoft
    Internet Explorer has a maximum uniform resource locator (URL) length of
    2083 characters. Internet Explorer also has a maximum path length of
    2048 ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q208427 -
    Similar pages

    Guru: What is the maximum length of a URL, including GET...Maximum
    length depends on browsers. For example maximum length of URL for ... So
    the maximum length of an URL depends on the server (and browsers...).
    www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=310779 - 39k - Cached - Similar pages
    Me

    why?, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    Where/what page/ did you get to? Do it again. Post the [wrong place]
    link.
    Moving forward.

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    Here's what I see with IE6 SP1

    http://www.badongo.com/pic/268260

    I don't see a stapler, I see a form to enter a zip code

    That's what I see whether I use the tiny or the long url.

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    Here's the stapler view which I can see after staples worked on me with
    a cookie, or at least that's what I think made the difference.

    http://www.badongo.com/pic/268267

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    You spoiled that one, I was waiting for the OP to put the obvious , the
    2 pages I see are -

    URL1 and URL2, maybe the OP doesn't need that level of detail?

    BTW I get the same zip code page. Guessing the OP has visited /
    registered at staples using IE in the past.

    The rest of it is a pain due to getting kicked back to the zip code page
    / scripting.

    Me

    why?, Aug 24, 2006
  9. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Yep, that's the right product. I got to it through slightly different
    route. I asked my friend for the Staples item number (555352) and stuck
    that into the "search" box on the page asking me for my ZIP code, after
    giving them my ZIP code.

    Live and learn....

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 24, 2006
  10. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    After I made the request for the 'bad' link, I realized that might not
    be the way to open the channels of communication.

    The page needed the javascript to work so it was cookie and script and
    there didn't appear to be a way to display the stapler view section
    'result' of the script as a 'scriptless link' -- which is the way I
    usually try to transmit something like that to someone else. Else I
    check to see if I can get the result I want with a product number and
    front page link.

    I have a friend who sends me links to things that I won't even degrade
    my browser's security to [try to] see.

    Mike Easter, Aug 24, 2006
  11. Jeff Wisnia

    Whiskers Guest

    snip

    Does this link work without any kerfuffle?
    <http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/cat/std/s0066708_std.jpg>. That's the URL
    of the image itself, isolated from the page Staples want to display it in,
    and by-passing all their cookie nonsense or needing to permit javasvript.

    The original link dumped me too at a page demanding a US zip code, so I
    entered 90210 (the only US zip code I know) and was taken to the correct
    page. I was fed seven cookies on the way. The fact that I am not in the
    USA didn't seem to be noticed by the marvellous and pointless scripts so
    laboriously constructed for Staples, doubtless at great expense.

    If the rich kids in fictional Beverley Hills are suddenly inundated with
    stationery supplies, blame me. <WEG>

    In my browser (Opera) I can right-click on an image and get a little menu
    which includes the option to 'Copy image address'.

    Whiskers, Aug 25, 2006
  12. Jeff Wisnia

    Mike Easter Guest

    Yes that's a little picture of the stapler, but the target 'display' has
    a lot of other useful stuff about the stapler which marketing
    information would be appropriate for one person to try to convey to
    another. I wasn't able to get a simple display of that page in
    'isolation' without kerfuffle. That target page also had access to an
    animated presentation for the stapler. More and more kerfuffle.

    When I initially accessed the page, I had javascript enabled, which is
    not my default configuration, but apparently I had configured previously
    for the staples site to have some scripting, probably because I had
    ordered something or had priced something and needed the scripting to
    get full functionality.

    I experimentally disabled the scripting and I was still able to see
    everything 'useful' with just the cookies working, except that with
    scripting off the animated presentation wouldn't come up, which was
    engaged by the javascript. That is, to get the full marketing impact,
    you need to access the page with cookies and some scripting enabled.
    That's a useful function. I had/have opera9 installed on something
    around here to do that acidtest business, but I forgot where I put it.

    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2006
  13. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    Yes it will, I use that method from Google images all the time to
    reference pictures.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 25, 2006