    same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.

    I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so, but that
    is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

    reply, Feb 20, 2005

  2. reply

    Mark Guest

    Mark, Feb 20, 2005

  3. reply

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    You can do it provided you configure the Router to work as an Access Point
    with a switch.

    You need to switch off the DHCP and configure the Router’s IP to match your
    Network IP range.

    More instructions here, the page was written for another purpose but you can
    extract the principles: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 20, 2005
  4. reply

    reply Guest

    How about some search hints? Nice site, but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

    reply, Feb 20, 2005
  5. reply

    Mark Guest

    Search the forums for apllicable terms.

    Mark, Feb 20, 2005
  6. reply

    reply Guest

    Configuring requires that it first be installed. It is that first install
    that's the problem, for the installation from the CD will not proceed without
    finding an internet connection.

    reply, Feb 20, 2005
  7. reply

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    None of the Entry Level Routers need an Internet connection for general
    configuration.

    Beside the Setup CD (which I deem as an evil solution to prevent/save people
    from simple 10min. learning process), each Router has an HTTP access menu.

    While the Router is connected to a computer and the computer is set to Auto
    Obtain IP you start I.E. (aka the browser) and you type in the address bar
    of the Router's Menu IP address (The IP number is in the User Guide and the
    Manual).

    Example of my Router: http://192.168.0.1 I type it to I.E. Bingo I get the
    Router's Menu.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 20, 2005
  8. reply

    reply Guest

    Thank you very much for responding to the installation problem and teaching me
    something quite useful. Exactly the information I needed.

    Found the manual in PDF form on the CD, and found the password to start with
    so am sure I'm on my way and can configure it off site. The installation CD
    can join my other installation CDs which I try to avoid using also.

    reply, Feb 20, 2005