Can a join an adhoc network to a bridged network ?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Scott, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Background - I have a XP MCE pc with a dlink wireless PCI card that access my
    router. On this same pc I have a Playstation connected via cat5. I've bridged
    the wireless and LAN ports so that both PC and PS2 get online via the dlink.

    New problem - I wish to get my N95 to access the internet via MCE pc as it
    can't get a good connection to my router's WLAN.

    Question - Can I add a 2nd wireless device to my MCE pc , eg a USB wifi
    dongle, create an adhoc network between that and my N95 and then bridge that
    adhoc network to my current bridge mentioned at the start ?
    (this is assuming I can adhoc my N95 in the first place)

    In the diagram below, << and >> represents wifi link and ....... is the link
    internal to the MCE pc.
    N95>>>adhoc<<<USB wifi..........dlink pci wifi>>>><<<<router

    thanks very much
    Scott

    Scott, Jun 6, 2008

  2. Scott

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You really should get a wireless connection for the Playstation and
    not use a bridged connection. not sure why you don't want to connect
    your other device directly to your wireless router via wifi. you are
    slowing things down with your current configuration. you can buy
    wireless client bridges that plug into the Ethernet port of your
    Playstation if there isn't a decent wireless adapter for it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 6, 2008

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    My Nokia N95 doesn't have as good an antenna so it doesn't access my WLAN
    very well.
    Also, I don't notice any differences in ping times when my PS2 either goes
    via MCE PC or is directly LAN'ed to my router.

    Scott, Jun 6, 2008
  4. Scott

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jun 6, 2008