Can a DVD-ROM disc be damaged by static electricity?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Alpha, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Think about your question and why the answer is no.
     
    Alpha, Feb 26, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Alpha

    curious Guest

    While placing a DVD-ROM disc into my laptop's DVD drive, my finger touched
    the part of the drive that holds onto the disc. That part of the drive has
    some metal, and I felt a static electricity shock. Is it possible for that
    to damage the disc in any way? I'm asking about the disc, not the
    drive/laptop. Thanks.
     
    curious, Feb 26, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. And what happens when you put a DVD or CD in a microwave? You get all
    sorts of arcing that damages the reflective coating. It is possible,
    admiittedly remote, that a static spark could do similar. Most likely,
    it may be small enough that error correction will cover it.
     
    Andrew Rossmann, Feb 26, 2006
    #3
  4. Alpha

    Silicon Sam Guest

    Oh, come on... There is so much plastic surrounding the inner core
    of metal in a pressed CD or DVD you'd have to have a buttload of static
    to even reach the insides of the disc. Of course microwaves tear it
    up, it doesn't need to touch the core directly like static would.
     
    Silicon Sam, Feb 26, 2006
    #4
  5. Alpha

    Dragon Guest

    has the disc becoming unplayable since you done this if not the answer is no
    simple really, yes i suppose electricity could damage disks but a very high
    voltage of it, i honestly think yours is ok m8
     
    Dragon, Feb 26, 2006
    #5
  6. Alpha

    Stan Brown Guest

    I haven't seen scientific studies, but I think it's unlikely. Looking
    at it another way, it's more likely that the static spark would
    damage a chip in your drive.

    Someone wrote that you can fry a disk in a microwave. That's true but
    not relevant to this query because (a) it's alternating current, not
    a static spark and (2) the intensity is a _lot_ greater. Remember the
    warnings about even standing _near_ a microwave if you're wearing a
    pacemaker?
     
    Stan Brown, Feb 26, 2006
    #6
  7. Static electricity can act very weird. Just because there is a lot of
    plastic covering it doesn't mean anything. Depending on the humidty, air
    has a higher resistance than plastics. A spark can still jump THROUGH
    the plastic, through the reflective coating, and to a surface
    underneath. Also, remember that the reflective coating on a CD is up at
    the top surface and very vulnerable.
     
    Andrew Rossmann, Feb 27, 2006
    #7
  8. Alpha

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    A microwave generates the energy directly from the foil layer. It
    doesn't get sparked from the outside in. It gets sparked from the
    inside out, so yes, it DOES "touch" the "core" directly. The
    microwave oven generates a powerful beam of energy. By contrast, your
    cell phone is at a similar frequency, but it does not damage discs.
    The reason is the power difference.

    A static spark will not in any way shape or form harm either a press
    factory optical disc OR a recordable version. Ever. The only
    exception being a lightning strike.
     
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 1, 2006
    #8
  9. Alpha

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Such a spark that could breech the dielectric strength of the
    plastic would be a very high voltage spark. Not likely with normal
    static charges carried around by folks.
    Disc damage on the print side of a CD is very easy to do as well.
    It is easier to screw up a disc by scratching it on the top than it is
    on the read side (bottom).
     
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 1, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.