    parimalmuli Guest

    I am curious to know whether any digicam purchased in USA will work in
    India.I mean to say about it's charging process.Please help me.

    parimalmuli, Mar 31, 2007

  2. parimalmuli

    Nervous Nick Guest

    Should be no problem. Sounds like you are thinking of sending one
    there or having one sent.

    Inda is 220/240V. You might have a switch on the camera's charger to
    switch the thing from 120 to 220. It would most likely be a small
    slide switch. Then all you will have to do is get an adapter plug to
    adapt the US plug for use as wall plugs in India. India uses "E" and
    "B" plugs. I am not sure which is most common. The US uses "A"
    plugs. This might help:

    http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltageguide.htm

    If your charger's voltage is not switchable then you will have to get
    voltage converter (or a switchable charger?) but that should be no
    problem whatsoever online, and it will not cost much.

    HTH.

    Nervous Nick, Mar 31, 2007

  3. parimalmuli

    Bob Williams Guest

    Yes,
    Many battery chargers will work directly from either 120 or 220 VAC If
    India uses 220-240 VAC, you may only need an Adapter Plug to connect the
    charger to the Indian Wall Socket.
    If your charger uses ONLY 120 Volts then you will need a little
    transformer to convert Indian Voltage to 120 Volts.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Mar 31, 2007
  4. parimalmuli

    cgiorgio Guest

    Most chargers that are included with a camera (usually for Li-Ion battery)
    are switching type and support a large range of input voltages and
    frequencies, for example 100 - 250 V / 50-60 Hz. That range covers both
    American and Indian mains specifications (117V/60 Hz and 230V/50 Hz).

    It might however be difficult to find a suitable adapter to plug in a US
    mains plug in India. If it is a wall charger, be sure to purchase a US style
    extension cord or small power strip while in the USA - then you can easily
    fit any of the Indian mains plug models to it (or have it fitted by a local
    electrician). If it uses a mains cable to plug in, the Indian plug can be
    fitted instead of the US mains plug.

    For most cameras operated with AA cells NiMH batteries and chargers are
    usually an optional item. Such chargers and batteries are available (I think
    also manufactured) in India as well, at least in metropolitan areas like
    Mumbay.

    cgiorgio, Mar 31, 2007
  5. parimalmuli

    mianileng Guest

    Many electronic appliances, including battery chargers, have
    a "universal" input voltage rating. These devices can be
    powered from any standard mains outlet from 110V/60Hz to
    240V/50Hz without even a changeover switch.

    This is usually printed on the charger and probably mentioned
    in the manual too. The OP could check there or ask at a shop.
    But beware, some salesmen are quite ignorant about such things.

    The charger for my Panasonic FZ20 is rated for 110-240V at
    50/60Hz (India uses 230V at 50Hz), and comes with two
    detachable power cords, one with a flat-bladed plug, and
    another with round prongs.

    mianileng, Mar 31, 2007
  6. parimalmuli

    mianileng Guest

    Such adapters are easily available in most places in India and
    cost the equivalent of 10-20 cents US.

    mianileng, Mar 31, 2007
  7. parimalmuli

    editor Guest

    If it uses ordinary penlight flashlight batteries, charging won't
    even be an issue. AA batteries seem to abound everywhere.

    editor, Mar 31, 2007
  8. parimalmuli

    GMAN Guest

    Most newer Acadapters i have seen for the cameras i have bought have all been
    110 to 220 capable , no switches involved. All you have to do is get the
    adapter plugs for the type of outlets India uses.

    GMAN, Apr 6, 2007
  9. parimalmuli

    Sachin Garg Guest

    Others have already answered well, but I will add in just to assure
    you that its not a problem at all :)

    Most chargers take between 110-to-230 volts, so they won't need any
    adapter. If needed, 220-to-110 adapters are very easy to find in India
    and are cheap enough to not worry about this while purchasing stuff
    from other countries.

    Same with wall-socket shape. All the newer wall-sockets take the US
    plugs and if you/your-contact havent changed wall fittings since many
    years than just the socket-shape adapters are also easily available.
    These will be a good idea even if your home has newer fittings because
    camera is something you travel with and some hotels might still be
    having older wall fittings (I once got stuck without being able to
    charge my laptop due to this).

    Sachin Garg [India]
    www.sachingarg.com | www.c10n.info

    Sachin Garg, Apr 7, 2007
  10. parimalmuli

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : On Mar 31, 11:53 pm, wrote:
[...]

    The familiar US two-prong and three-prong plugs assume they're going to see
    110 to 125 volts. If India uses outlets compatible with those plugs but
    carrying 220 to 240 volts (which an earlier poster said is their standard),
    you'd have to make sure that the device you're plugging in in won't get fried.

    US 220-240V outlets (for air conditioners, stoves, etc.) use various prong
    configurations, depending on the rated amperage of the line, all of them
    incompatible with each other and with the 110-125V plugs. If India actually
    uses those outlets (which would surprise me), then at least you shouldn't be
    able to put your 110V equipment at risk.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 8, 2007
  11. parimalmuli

    Fred Soenkes Guest

    It is a few years that I have last been to India, but the Indian wall
    sockets I know are all various 3 - prong types, similar to the ones used in
    the UK but with round pins (like the antique 8 Amp UK variety). A US - plug
    will definitely not fit in it, but adaptors or suitable cables should be
    easily obtainable in India.

    Fred Soenkes, Apr 8, 2007
  12. parimalmuli

    Sachin Garg Guest

    The newer wall sockets allow flat pins along with the round ones. Yes,
    there is a risk of frying the equipment if one is not careful but its
    getting easier as most chargers/adapters are now 100-230 volt capable.

    Sachin Garg, Apr 8, 2007