Can a Cisco router act as a syslog *server*?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Goldrider, Dec 13, 2008.

  1. Goldrider

    Goldrider Guest

    Hi,

    I have a strange question:
    Is it possible to config a Cisco 800 series router a as a syslog
    server?

    I know it can log to a syslog server, but can I use it the other way
    around?

    I have non-cisco network device wich sometimes crashes, and I want to
    monitor it's logs, However I do not want to run a PC day an night for
    receiving syslog messages. (very low traffic too)

    Can the cisco 857 be configured to accept syslog messages from other
    hosts? (a.k.a. be a syslog server receiving on UDP port 514)

    Greetings,
    S.

    Goldrider, Dec 13, 2008

  2. Goldrider

    bod43 Guest

    Nor me, however -

    The following might assist

    1.
    If you set up an access list to match the syslog traffic
    with logging you could at least determine the times that
    syslogs were generated.

    2.
    If you set up a packet debug you might see more info
    but not much I wouldn't think.
    deb ip pac 199 det
    access-list 199 to match syslog

    3.
    If you were able to use the new packet capture facility
    such that the packets could be stored locally and then
    subsequently exported or viewed you might be able to
    simulate a syslog server. Depends just how desperate
    you are. Not sure if 857 supports this feature or not.
    877 with Advanced IP Services feature set does.
    Adv. IP serv. does not run on 857.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/ht_rawip.html#wp1051807
    Needs 12.4(11)T or later.

    1. does not affect system CPU significantly

    2 and 3 will I would imagine.

    bod43, Dec 13, 2008

  3. Goldrider

    Goldrider Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the answer. Will save your posting.

    Greetings,
    Steven.

    Goldrider, Dec 14, 2008