    Does either the water or dryer heat ruin the battery?
    It was in a non water proof plastic bag, so it is still damp despite going
    through the dryer.

    John Smith, Mar 8, 2005

  2. John Smith

    wilburt99 Guest

    Batteries are 'leakproof' and that should work in both directions.
    The temperature in a dryer will hardly harm a battery.
    Let your battery rest in a warm, not hot, place for a couple of days,
    reload it and try it in your camera.

    wilburt

    wilburt99, Mar 8, 2005

  3. John Smith

    BG250 Guest

    Electrolytic corrosion may have ruined the contacts (well, one of them). You
    may be able to restore it with a light sanding with fine grit sandpaper if
    it is easy to reach on this battery.
    bg

    BG250, Mar 8, 2005
  4. John Smith

    Andy Turner Guest

    If your battery charger is external, I'd be tempted to try it in there
    first. I'd much rather be looking for a new charger than a new camera
    if the battery happens to go bang.

    andyt

    Andy Turner, Mar 8, 2005
  5. John Smith

    clutch Guest

    I wonder how close to a closed up car in summer time, your dryer
    approximates. I'm thinking equivalence. Lay it in sun to dry out and
    try it in camera. I bet it works just fine.

    Electronics tend to tolerate water if not swiched on during the wet
    period. I've hosed down radar systems that recieved salt water
    damage, laid the modules out in the sun on the flight line and put the
    system back into the bird when dry and life went on.

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 8, 2005
  6. John Smith

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The battery is probably ok, but is likely to have discharged. Try it in
    the charger. If it is damaged, the charger will probably warn you.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 8, 2005
  7. John Smith

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I agree. The battery is almost certainly sealed and should
    be ok from that standpoint.

    The heat *might* be a problem. It gets HOT in some driers.
    However, in the end there is only one way to tell. But it in
    the recharger and see if it charges.

    If it doesn't blow up or seem dead, try it in the camera.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 8, 2005
  8. : If your battery charger is external, I'd be tempted to try it in there
    : first. I'd much rather be looking for a new charger than a new camera
    : if the battery happens to go bang.

    One suggestion. If this is your choice of test, be safe. Put the battery
    in the charger but keep the charger unplugged. Take the charger to a
    non-flamable surfaced area (like a concrete floored garage). Stand as far
    away from the charger as possible and THEN plug it in. In all probablility
    no problem will occur. But if the battery does burst, or smoke, you don't
    want it to do so in your face. And if there is an overheat, sparking or
    explosive problem you do not want flamable materials too close.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Mar 10, 2005