    help me in my purchase decision or another camera (digital) that would fit
    the bill.

    Thanks.

    MoParMaN, Mar 26, 2005

  2. What you want to do is going to take some mighty heavy glass. Are you
    prepared to spend maybe $5,000 - $20,000 for the lens? Add a couple
    thousand more for a good dSLR body. It is just a very equipment heavy
    assignment. An alternative is the old duck blind method. That means many
    long boring hours.

    Joseph Meehan, Mar 26, 2005

  3. MoParMaN

    Tom Guest

    MoParMaN wrote in part:
    "Hi all...

    I'm a hunter and like to take wildlife pictures. Usually
    deer/turkey/hogs/eagles/hawks/­snakes and other things of interest to
    me. My
    deer photos are usually around 100 to 400 yards. I have an Olympus D460

    camera that takes good pictures, but its not very good in the zoom
    department. Most of my pictures will be of low light game and moving
    targets. "

    You are asking for a lot. You need a very fast, long lens. I'm not up
    on all the latest offerings but Canon makes an f2.8 300 mm lens (should
    be spelled "len$"). I think a canon EOS would be required to use that
    lens. Perhaps Nikon, Minolta or Olympus has an equivelent lens or
    maybe there is an aftermarket lens that will do the job, but it's going
    to be pricy.

    Choose the lens that will do what you want before you choose the
    camera.

    Better yet, become a bow hunter, you usually need to be within 50 yards
    of your prey.

    Tom Gibb

    Tom, Mar 26, 2005
  4. MoParMaN

    MoParMaN Guest

    MoParMaN wrote in part:
[...]

    I am a bow hunter, I also use spears if I have to.

    MoParMaN, Mar 26, 2005
  5. MoParMaN

    MoParMaN Guest

    I've already got the blind. A 5 foot by 8 foot x 6 foot fiber glass
    insulated camo blind that sits about 10 feet off the ground. It's got a 150K
    BTU propane heater, 12 VDC with solar panels, a 12vdc coffee maker, a 12vdc
    TV/Radio combo, 2 Lazyboy recliner/rockers and a small 12vdv Refrigerator.
    I can sit for days to get the shot I want. I also have game cameras set out
    at various places to take pictures at night or when they get within 25 feet
    of the cameras.

    I plan on hooking up some of these via a wireless network to connect back to
    my house so I can post live pictures on the World Wide Internet thingy.

    I found the above (Olympus E300) camera with a 14-54mm Zuiko Digital Lens on
    sale for $469.00. Their 40-150mm lens sells for above 4 grand. Since these
    lens are made for true digital cameras and they do have circuitry in them,
    you can just about double their actual zoom capability.

    I'm guessing this noosegroop is for the low end camera buffs, is there a
    group for professionals that you know of?

    MoParMaN, Mar 26, 2005
  6. MoParMaN

    Drifter Guest

    You might want to do some searches on "digiscoping". Some funky
    setups but some cool stuff too.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Mar 26, 2005
  7. MoParMaN

    MoParMaN Guest

    Thanks.

    MoParMaN, Mar 26, 2005
  8. MoParMaN

    Jack Rosier Guest

    Panasonic has several cameras with 10-12x zoom in the $500-$600 price range.
    They mostly seem to have image stabilization also.
    I don't use these so you will want to do some further research.
    Dpreviews.com and several similar websites will come in handy.
    Check out resellerratings.com for camera and dealer reviews.

    Jack Rosier, Mar 26, 2005
  9. MoParMaN

    clutch Guest

    I'd look at the minolta DiMage Z3 or Z5 if on a budget.

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 26, 2005
  10. MoParMaN

    MoParMaN Guest

    Thanks,

    MoParMaN, Mar 26, 2005
  11. MoParMaN

    Jim Guest

    Neither will do the job. You need something more like a 300 to 400 lens. I
    usually use a 300 f4 to photograph elk; this lens is a mite short for 35mm
    photos.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 27, 2005
  12. MoParMaN

    Boch Guest

    Your looking at a very large investment...My choice for long range is my
    Pentax K-1000...Facts are...You may be dealing with nasty weather....And
    your shooting will be very time laps...Yes digital is great....But don't
    give up on film...I'd want the no battery worry....And lens availability.

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH

    Boch, Apr 5, 2005
  13. MoParMaN

    stormwatcher Guest

    The Olympus E300 has received good reviews and an appropriate lense for
    it could be the Olympus 50-200MM 2.8/3.5 E lense which sells around
    $1200.
    However, the Olympus system is a new one with a quite limited choice of
    lenses and accessories.

    The Canon EOS 20D is a better choice in my opinion. Better quality,
    huge choice of lenses. The Canon EF 75-300MM/4-5.6 IS lense is about
    $550 and has image stabilization for better hand held and low light
    shots. Wireless remote control option is available.

    The Nikon D70, another dSLR, is about equal with the Canon. Lenses tend
    to be more expensive; sometimes much more expensive.

    If a compact digital with a stronger zoom is more appropriate, the
    Nikon 8800 with a 10x zoom (35mm-350mm) is a nifty unit. It also has
    anti-shake technology. It's about $950.

    stormwatcher, Apr 5, 2005
  14. MoParMaN

    Boch Guest

    Do you ever use a telescope with a camera adapter?....Just wondered...I use
    a MEAD ETX-70...With a 80X magna./Nikon-4500....Remote/and power pack....

    --
    BOCH

    Boch, Apr 6, 2005