    Manhattan?

    Thanks

    Matti

    Matti Savolainen, May 18, 2004

  2. B&H Photo
    420 Ninth Avenue
    New York, NY 10001

    Richard Kaszeta, May 18, 2004

  3. Matti Savolainen

    ArtKramr Guest

    Subject: Camera shops in Manhattan, NY
    B&H Photo

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 18, 2004
  4. Matti Savolainen

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    B & H Photo on 9th ave at 34th street
    Adorama - 42 West 18th

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, May 18, 2004
  5. Matti Savolainen

    Bob Stewart Guest

    I echo B&H and Adorama, but would add Willoughby's.

    Bob Stewart, May 18, 2004
  6. I have had satisfactory business with three, in no particular order:
    Calumet, Adorama, and B&H. I have gone back repeatedly to all of them.

    Adorama is on 18th St between 5th and 6th.

    Calumet is on 19th between 5th and 6th

    B&H is on 9th ave at 34th St.

    B&H is the biggest and most imposing-looking store, but all of them
    have people who can answer questions. Calumet is a nationwide chain.
    The other two I think are single locations.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Ask not with whom the buck stops . . .

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, May 18, 2004
  7. B&H is the largest photo retailer in the World.

    Any Moose Poster, May 18, 2004
  8. Calumet also has stores in Europe (England, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium).
    From the web site it looks like the headquarters is in Illinois.

    Michael Meissner, May 19, 2004
  9. Matti Savolainen

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Main store. Parent company is in the UK.

    Bob Salomon, May 19, 2004
  10. what do you people have against J&R on brdway across from city hall?

    however, do stay away from PC Richards, The Zone, any
    pakistani/indian/israeli/russian run places.

    Adorama is jewish owned, dont go on sat.

    Developwebsites, May 19, 2004
  11. Matti Savolainen

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Nothing. Their prices are often good. If you know *exactly*
    what you want, they may have lower prices than anybody.

    However, if you need some help, their sales staff is, in my
    experience, not knowledgeable. They won't try to steer you
    wrong but that's what is apt to happen anyway.

    Further, their stock is spotty. They'll have lots of one
    item and be out of another.

    However, as I say, I do go there and buy some computer parts
    from them as well.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, May 19, 2004
  12. Yeah, I thought it started out as an English company. I wasn't sure if just
    the American headquarters was in IL. or the whole thing.

    Michael Meissner, May 19, 2004
  13. Nothing. I often get computer stuff there. Never got photo stuff
    there, so no experience to comment on.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes, May 19, 2004
  14. Matti Savolainen

    Bob Salomon Guest

    The original company began in the Chicago area (that is where the
    Calumet river is). They opened a 2nd store in NY City in the Empire
    State building.

    That company was liquidated and the current company opened in the
    Chicago area and then began to buy stores, first in NYC, and then around
    the country. That company was purchased by the current owners who are
    English.

    Bob Salomon, May 19, 2004
  15. Matti Savolainen

    nixjunk Guest

    The original company began in the Chicago area (that is where the
    That's not what the site says.

    "With the uniting of Calumet Photographic in the U.S.A. and KJP in the U.K.,
    Netherlands, Belgium and Germany in 1994, the company developed a global focus.
    This global focus expanded further in 1998, when Calumet launched its Web site
    and moved the company into the digital age. The site gave customers access to
    our products from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    After more than 60 years in the business, Calumet continues to grow, adding
    products and services to our stores and warehouses every day. We built our
    business on our willingness to give our customers the tools they need to create
    their images, and will continue to do so in the future."

    It doesn't say anything about it being English owned or that their headquarters
    are in the UK. In fact it shows headquarters in the US and the UK.

    nixjunk, May 20, 2004
  16. Matti Savolainen

    stan Guest

    A great place, but B&H is closed on Saturdays. If the OP has to shop
    on a Saturday (or even if he doesn't), another good retailer is J&R's
    which is on Park Row almost directly across from New York City Hall.

    stan, May 21, 2004