Camera juggling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, May 6, 2014.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Blog:
    <http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Kamerajonglering?lang=en>

    In my camera "arsenal" I have a Nikon D4, a Nikon D800E and a Sony
    RX1R. All three are fantastic cameras in every way, but it can always
    be better, right?

    Nikon DF
    The Nikon DF is pretty much the same camera as the Nikon D4, same
    resolution, same sensor, same ISO sensitivity (slightly better
    according to some tests). It lacks the possibility to record video,
    but is on the other hand a lot smaller than its big brother, and thus
    lighter. It is also a lot cheaper, so I'm thinking about selling the
    D4 and get a DF instead. The D800E is an awesome camera that I have no
    plans of getting rid of, but it packs a 36MP sensor and most of the
    time the 16MP sensor of the D4 and DF is more than adequate, where
    36MP can be quite unruly.

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208606.png>

    The size difference is actually really big, even though I would have
    preferred if the DF was even smaller. Vertical grips are really handy
    at times, but in most cases they're not that critical. No news about a
    battery grip for the DF as of yet.

    Sony A7
    I bought a Sony RX1R a while back, and I'm very pleased with it,
    especially as a travel camera. Still the world's smallest full format
    camera. Soon after the release of the RX1, the Sony A7 was released.
    Being pretty much the same camera, but with interchangeable lenses,
    that was a huge "D'oh!"

    <http://jonaseklundh.se/aimg208605.png>
    Sony RX1R to the left, A7 to the right

    Size wise, it's not a huge difference between the cameras, especially
    when the EVF is mounted to the RX1, which I always have. Another good
    thing about the A7 is that it has a much better and faster AF system
    than the RX1, along with thumb wheels on the front and back, something
    I've been missing on the RX1. So I'm also thinking about letting the
    RX1 go in favor of getting a A7.

    Sandman, May 6, 2014

  2. Sandman

    -hh Guest

    Indeed; one invariably seeks ways to optimize/tailor/refine.

    I'm glad to see the MegaPixel 'race' start to calm down,
    especially with interest growth in having 'quality' pixels.
    But none the less, I have been finding that my interest in
    moving images (video) has grown, since the capability is
    'baked in' to my current dSLR...its IMO a "have it with you"
    aspect from having one more tool in the toolbox.

    Agreed, particularly from a hobbyist perspective.

    Yeah, I'm still watching/waiting for these smaller form
    factors to sort themselves out in the marketplace; I like
    their size, but don't really want to start yet another set
    of lenses, to only find them become abandonware. I expect
    that I'll be looking for a nice P&S as a bridge for awhile,
    although I can't say if I'll go for a $100 cheapie, or try
    something like the Canon G series.

    -hh

    -hh, May 6, 2014

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Well, if I sell my RX1R, I think I could get about $2,600 for it (extra
    battery, external charger, EVF), and then get a Sony A7 + 35mm/2.8 for
    $2,200.

    Then I would probably also get the 55mm/1.8 which has been getting rave
    reviews all over, and then a F-mount adapter for $184 so I can use all my
    wonderful Nikon glass on it (albeit in manual focus mode). The adapter has
    a built in aperture ring, so all G, F and E-lenses works with it.

    Sony RX1R: + $2,612 (17,000 SEK)
    Sony A7: - $1,536
    35mm/2.8: - $922
    55mm/1.8 - $1,191
    Adapter: - $184

    Sum: - $1,222

    And you can save a buck by getting the A7 + 35mm as a kit as well.

    Sandman, May 6, 2014
  4. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Yup! Video doesn't interest me that much. It's nice to have, but I don't
    use it that much, and the A7 is good enough for me in that respect :)

    Sandman, May 7, 2014
  5. Sandman

    Nick Fotis Guest

    Personally, the a7S is more interesting to me than the a7
    (the a7r with the 36 is a big overkill, my laptop just manages to
    process the 12.3 Mpixel files of my Canon 5D, first generation).

    Since often I shoot at 1600 and 3200 ISO (yes, my old 5D suffers often
    being pushed at its limits), the low light capability of the a7S is very
    interesting.
    And, if the EOS adaptor is good enough, I might be able to re-use my
    Canon L glass, too.
    Or I may see a good update from Canon, with big, fat pixels and very
    good focus in low light in the meantime.

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, May 8, 2014