    the camera and be stuck with a card I don't need.

    I use Macintosh.

    Thank you.

    American Chick, Jul 18, 2005

  2. American Chick

    mike Guest

    You shore don't give much information to go on.
    I have an Olympus D-510 that uses smartmedia.
    My symptom was random failure to read the card,
    frequent demands to reformat then the format failed.
    Turned out that my problem was lack of solder on some
    of the pins of the smartmedia socket. took years for
    the pins to fatigue and corrode enough to quit working.

    If it's smartmedia, the first thing I'd try is cleaning.
    Use isopropyl alcohol to clean the card contacts.

    I took some heavy bond paper wrapped around a thin sheet of
    plastic and doused with alcohol to clean the socket. Measure the
    thickness of the cleaning assembly to be slightly less than
    the thickness of your card so you don't spring the contacts.

    I also cleaned my card reader. If one is contaminated, the other
    probably is too.

    I still have not figured out exactly what a camera does about
    bad blocks on a smartmedia card. My mp3 player can reformat
    a card and mark the bad blocks. But the camera may or may not undo
    that when you reformat in the camera. Maybe someone can chime in here
    with the true answer.

    If it's not smartmedia...never mind.
    Precise questions get better answers.
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Jul 18, 2005

  3. American Chick

    Marvin Guest

    Try cleaning the contacts on the card. Rubbing gently with a clean eraser should do the
    job. And blow out the card slot with canned air. A little dirt on low-voltage contacts
    can cause problems.

    Marvin, Jul 18, 2005