    buy these toys for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they have uses, and
    sometimes they just got talked into the purchase by watching a commercial,
    or listening to a sales pitch. It happens every day.

    Chris, Feb 8, 2004

  2. I am in canada actually. The big carriers here are Telus, Rogers, Fido, and
    Bell.
    I may find myself in San Diego though, relocating there. My uncle who is
    there now is on T Mobile, and says it is decent. He had an account with
    nextel, but that did NOT go well, trust me ;-)
    I was watching Tech TV (based in SF) and they were basically blasting
    verizon, and talking about moving to anyone but.
    *shrugs* It is all subjective, isn't it?

    Alot of good info, thank you very much.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Feb 9, 2004

  3. Nope
    If it is such a tiny resolution that 8x10 prints arent do-able though, you
    can count me out.
    I love my 2mp canon powershot a40, and my 5mp sony dsc-f717 equally.

    I cant afford a DSLR, but if i could i would just go with a canon 6mp model,
    because i understand the megapixel myth.
    The same reason sony can't woo me with their 8mp F828.

    You make some other relevant points, but I snipped them for bandwidth
    reasons.

    Thanks,
    Steve.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Feb 9, 2004
  4. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You have little respect for people, most of whom you don't know. Sure,
    some people buy things they don't need. DO you NEED a computer? Do you
    NEED a cell phone? Do you NEED food? If you don't need a computer or
    cell phone as much as you need to eat, then the truth is you WANT a
    computer, and you WANT a cell phone, and that is just FINE. For many
    people toys are what makes life worth their time.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 9, 2004
  5. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have made, maybe 3 8 x 10 prints in the past 10 years. So what do I
    care if a camera won't go that far? True, resolution on the current
    crop of camera-phones is more suited to the screen size of the phone
    display, and the speed of transmission. Perhaps larger sensors will
    make sense when faster transmission is possible, and better displays can
    show the pictures.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 9, 2004
  6. CaptainKrunch

    Azzz1588 Guest

    No not at all to me !!

    I just think it's a waste, but if someone is willing to pay for it, than
    by all means. If it takes off bigtime, we all benifit from it in the long run.

    Azzz1588, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Aparently Americans as a whole don't, as the photo phones are not
    doing at all well. Hence all the adds and push to sell them.

    There was an AP story within the last three weeks on how poorly they
    are being accepted in the USA compared to Japan and Europe. The
    Europe part really suprised me.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 9, 2004
  8. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    There are a lot of things I think are a waste, alcohol, tobacco, coffee,
    cheese, for instance, but many people would disagree, and all are very
    important to the world economy even though we would probably be better
    off without them all.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 9, 2004
  9. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The Japanese have embraced then with characteristic enthusiasm. In the
    US, there are a lot of competing technologies, and a vastly different
    landscape. I suspect that geography has much to do with the difference.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 9, 2004
  10. CaptainKrunch

    Canopus Guest

    I seem to remember that some of the first footage coming out of Iraq at the
    commencement of the war was being done so using a camera cell phone
    covertly. I'm sure there is a use for them, but, I wouldn't bother buying
    one, I'm still trying to figure out the functions of my simple one.

    Rob

    Canopus, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Hold on, not so fast. I also love my A40 but I liked the F828 reviews enough
    to consider it an alternative to the DRebel. What do you mean by your F828
    comment?

    Juan

    Juan R. Pollo, Feb 9, 2004
  12. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I find that my current cell phone has many features I don't use.
    Fortunately, they don't cost me anything if I don't USE them...
    For most, I suspect the picture feature is not used much. Others may
    find it useful for special purposes.
    I don't think I would pay extra to get a phone with the current level of
    digital camera function.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 9, 2004
  13. CaptainKrunch

    Larry Guest

    Probably all impressed by the noise being made about the noise in its
    pictures.

    For myself, I dont see the problem.

    They made a camera with 3 million more pixels and put them on the same
    size sensor as the 717...did anyone (even the engineers at Sony) expect
    it not to be noisier???

    I'll probably buy one as a companion for my 717 (not as a replacement)
    for those shots where I'de need to crop a little more, or I could get
    the picture without cropping with the increased zoom on the 828.

    If Im going to shoot in circumstances where I think the faults of the
    828 are going to cause degradation in my picture. I'll use film, or the
    717.

    I dont think the price of the 828 is justified, and I think if Sony
    wants to move a bunch of 'em they will lower the price. (Ive already
    seen 'em with a $100 (US) discount)

    If I can get a refurb, or get one for < 800 I'll go for it, its a good
    camera, and can do some stuff the 717 cant do. It just, for my money
    cant do a $1000 worth.

    Larry
    Mystic

    Larry, Feb 9, 2004
  14. CaptainKrunch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    I have purchased one as a replacement for my 717 and love it! And yes I
    have compared results between them and no, I have no complaints with
    image quality or noise and, no, I do not have a problem with purple
    colors at any focal length.

    And, when I am shooting medium format, large format or 35mm, I use the
    slowest films I can find. So I have not used either the 717 or the 828
    or my earlier 5700 at high ISO speeds.

    So for my purposes it suits me fine. Perhaps for yours you will find it
    does not. That doesn't bother me. But then if you haven't shot and
    compared results yourself then how would you really know?

    Bob Salomon, Feb 9, 2004
  15. CaptainKrunch

    Larry Guest

    Actually I have used my brother-in-laws 828, and I was quite pleased
    with it. As I said, it just isnt a $1000 worth of upgrade over the 717
    (for my purposes) If, on the other hand I didn't have the 717, I
    wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get the 828. If I need more than it
    can give me I can still (for now) use the film cameras that I have.

    Thats the issue with me. I only use film for 10% of my work and I
    probably could use the 828 for ALL of that 10%. So for now Im content to
    wait for a price break.

    Larry
    Mystic

    Larry, Feb 9, 2004
  16. CaptainKrunch

    Bob Salomon Guest

    I don't see it as a $1000.00 replacement. I sold my 717 for $400.00
    after seeinig what the 828 could do.

    Bob Salomon, Feb 9, 2004
  17. CaptainKrunch

    Larry Guest

    My resistance is partially sentimental I think.. The 717 has taken well
    over 3000 good usable shots for me, sometimes under unbelievably bad
    conditions.

    Larry
    Mystic

    IOW I dont really want to sell it (even if I wont use it much.

    Larry, Feb 9, 2004