Camera cell phones, what the heck is the point?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CaptainKrunch, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. As far as airtime goes there is usually just a charge to utilize the picture
    sharing service as opposed to being charged for air time. Cell phone plans
    are different than they used to be and the web service/camera service
    doesn't generally subtract minutes from your regular plan.

    The phone companies know that parents are stupid enough to buy a cellphone
    for their kids and pay for this ridiculous service. In addition to the
    service the other little add-ons are different ring tones that cost a buck
    on up. Games and screensavers that cost up to three or four dollars and
    many times expire after a month or two or three. That is where the phone
    companies are making their money.

    As far as the picture quality goes my Sanyo8100 sucks but even the entry
    level phones these days have cameras in them. I bought it because it is a
    nice phone. I utilized my free two months of service but cancelled it before
    they charged me. The only use I can see for sending pics is perhaps if you
    are at a store and you see something you might want to buy so you send a pic
    to your wife or whoever and let them see the furniture or picture or
    whatever before you buy it. Otherwise sending pics is for teenagers and
    Japanese people. They love that shit.

    CaptainKrunch

    CaptainKrunch, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Picture this (no pun intended):

    A television commercial.
    The setting, a mountain resort. Friends in a nice cozy cabin at a party,
    drinks being served, pretty girls having a good time with pretty boys, and
    an anonymous photographer is snapping photos, getting all these amazing
    shots from every angle to capture the great time they are having.

    And then you realize you are watching a commercial for a cell phone
    camera/phone combo.

    So what would be the freaking POINT of bringing a cell phone camera up in
    the first place. What is the point of the cell phone camera, other than to
    sell more useless gadgetry to sixteen year olds who don't know any better
    (most of the time anyways), and who will just think its "cool" to have.

    I just don't get it. 2mp is quite low, and that is still considered "high"
    res for these types of devices (like the sony clie that has a 2mp image
    sensor, but terrible plastic lens).

    Perhaps in five years it would be feasible to have a camera phone and
    actually you know... use it for anything. period.
    But for now? just more junk we don't need I guess.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Feb 8, 2004

  3. Selling more air time is the point.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 8, 2004
  4. CaptainKrunch

    Charlie Self Guest

    Steven C asks:
    Same point there is in those Nextel walkie-talkie commericals. None.

    Charlie Self
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold." Mark Twain

    Charlie Self, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Actually the Motorola walk-walkie type phones are great.
    You can talk on a 2 way radio anywhere in north America with the right sort
    of account. Someone in Alaska can talk to someone in Tampa Florida, and the
    rates are better than cellular if you are big enough to warrant it.

    But I see what you are saying.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Feb 8, 2004
  6. Bad example, since Nextel has no coverage at all in Alaska. Alaska has no
    iDEN network at all, and virtually no GSM aside from a very small area (not
    the cities). If you want to make any calls at all in Alaska you need a TDMA
    or CDMA phone, and if you want good coverage throughout Alaska then you need
    a phone that still supports the analog AMPS network. While there is PTT
    available on Sprint PCS and Verizon, it won't work in Alaska, because you'll
    be roaming on other carriers that don't support PTT.

    When I was on vacation in Alaska last year, I ran into a very upset Nextel
    user at the Anchorage airport!

    Nextel's system does have a point, if you're a business that needs to
    communicate with a bunch of your people at once; it's a good two way radio
    replacement. But it's a lousy substitute for a cell phone if you ever go
    outside of urban areas. I can't imagine any non-business user paying extra
    money for PTT on a real cellular or PCS carrier.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 8, 2004
  7. CaptainKrunch

    LLutton Guest

    So what would be the freaking POINT of bringing a cell phone camera up in
    My daughter and her husband have cell phones with cameras and they get a lot of
    use out of them. She might be in a store and calls her husband and a picture
    of a product she is looking at appears on his phone. He can tell her if that
    is what he needs. She was across the country visiting her son in the military
    and sent us pictures she took of him at our email address using only her cell
    phone. I thought it was great. I'm more into high resolution pictures and
    probably won't go that route myself.
    Lynn

    LLutton, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Cool, cool.
    thanks for pointing that out.

    www.telus.com has partnered with Nextel just last year to provide the 2 way
    radio service in pretty much every major urban center in Canada and the
    lower 48 states.
    Its a keen technology, although a little dated.

    If they offered this on an affordable consumer level package, people would
    eat it up. Pay for only small amounts of airtime? Works almost anywhere in
    almost any large city?

    But they don't make money like that, do they ;-)

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Feb 8, 2004
  9. I have a Canadian colleague at work that kept his Nextel service from his
    last job (where I also worked with him) solely because of the Telus
    partnership. But his wife has a non-Nextel phone for when they go outside
    Nextel coverage.
    Verizon now offers unlimited mobile to mobile calling between Verizon users.

    I don't know where you are in the U.S., but in the SF Bay Area, Verizon is
    the dominant carrier by far. Nearly every person I work with or am friends
    with, or related to, in the area, has Verizon. With mobile to mobile being
    free, I essentially pay for only small amounts of air time now. I have never
    gone over my 300 peak minutes, even though I use more than 300 minutes
    during peak time. With nights and weekends free no matter who you're calling
    (and 8:01 p.m. nights), I can't imagine paying more for Nextel service.

    Interestingly enough, Verizon has what appear to be highest base rates
    (other than Nextel), but the lowest average revenue per user of any of the
    six national carriers. So you're right--they don't make money like that! But
    Verizon goes for the the volume, and the low churn.

    Verizon is not the best carrier in all areas, though it was number one in
    every area surveyed by Consumer Reports.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 8, 2004
  10. CaptainKrunch

    Marty Guest

    Don't even try to take one into a courthouse, turned off or not. Your
    phone will not be allowed in the building. Lawyers and detectives
    should be aware that they will not be able to use their phones, even
    in vibrate mode, in such locales.

    Marty, Feb 8, 2004
  11. CaptainKrunch

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Convenience - the cell phone will always be with you and you are able to
    send a picture to somebody, just in case. But it's also true that some
    companies are banning these phones from their sites for fear of
    industrial espionage.

    Alfred Molon, Feb 8, 2004
  12. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ahhh, another camera snob. So if it doesn't have 14 mp, it's useless?

    While a phone/camera combination may not be the appropriate tool for a
    professional photographer, it IS quite useful for many people who want
    to capture the moment. First, because it is small, light, and ON HAND.
    Second, because it is set up to send the photo to someone else easily,
    and third, because it is always available.

    Not everyone is Ansel Adams. Many of us use a camera for purpose more
    mundane than studio photography. I heard of a teen who had just been
    accosted by a person who tried to drag him into a van, and who got a
    picture of the person, and the van (with license plate visible) on his
    phone. You may not find that useful, but HE did.

    Do I have such a phone/camera? Nope, it's not what I need, but I can
    see why people want them.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  13. On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:11:00 GMT, "Steven C \(Doktersteve\)"

    [snip]
    Hi,

    These camera-phones are for fun for everyday folks...and generating
    more revenue for the phone industry! And if people believe that's
    what they want then so be it. Phones with MP3s, cameras, PDAs,
    etc...progress.

    In terms of marketing, camera-phones are being snapped up (I'm in the
    UK), and more camera-phone models are being introduced all the time.

    A few days ago, there was a car accident...a significant proportion
    of passerbys got their camera-phones out and took photos.

    I have a digital SLR, but I don't carry that around with me all day.
    My camera-phone is with me always and so is fun to send pictures to
    someone, or sometimes could be useful record something. I actually
    bought the phone for its PDA functionality and the camera-phone
    didn't figure in the purchase but it has turned out to be a fun thing
    to use.

    Different strokes, as they say. Don't sweat it.

    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu
    Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm

    "It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Feb 8, 2004
  14. CaptainKrunch

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ron Hunter notes:
    Fair enough. But I've always wondered if those who are so engrossed in
    capturing the moment activity they miss the main point of the "moment" being
    captured.

    Charlie Self, Feb 8, 2004
  15. CaptainKrunch

    Azzz1588 Guest

    That is exactly the point !!

    Each little picture snapped and sent with that phone carries a
    charge with it (verizion wanted over $1.00 per pic before)
    and thats what they are hpoing for. Lots of idiots snapping pic's
    and sending over the phone. They make money that way :)

    Azzz1588, Feb 8, 2004
  16. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    There are a lot of 'camera snobs' here who think if equipment isn't
    studio quality, it's 'useless', because they don't have need for a
    camera for 'mundane' uses. We can't all be Ansel Adams, but most us
    fine uses for our cameras, and enjoy them, and capture the moment, and
    that's what photography really is.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  17. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Only if they have to spend several minutes per picture setting exposure,
    focusing, and resetting the tripod. See, shoot, enjoy, and share.
    One can certainly go TOO far trying to capture ALL the moments.
    Some of them can only be recorded in the 'wetware'.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  18. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And there is something wrong with making a profit, right?
    Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  19. CaptainKrunch

    Chris Guest

    Well, seems like these days they want to put cameras in everything, or
    phones in everything else, so it's logical to assume someone would come up
    with it, even if for no other reason to have built it.

    I guess for convenience's sake. Micro-technology is alot more than a
    lifestyle for some people, they literally "HAVE" to have every little gadget
    they can cram into a purse or pocket. Pens with flashlights on them, swiss
    tool-knives with pens AND flashlights AND clocks on them, pagers that shoot
    pepper spray...

    It's not about what's "needed", it's become about how much stuff they can
    cram into a 2 or 3 inch casing. I remember when I thought my Nokia 2120 was
    "smallish", and now they make full-function zoom lens digicams smaller than
    my tv remote.

    Chris, Feb 8, 2004
  20. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The point is that all those devices are things people find USEFUL. If
    not, then they would have little interest in paying extra for them. I
    really wish my phone had a flashlight function and a weather radio built
    in, rather than games... NOW THOSE don't do anything for me, but others
    do seem to find them useful, so do you hear me complaining? HOW can
    people so 'self centered' that anything not useful to THEM is 'silly',
    'useless', or 'a fad'?

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004