Camera Card Reader

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rodan, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Rodan

    ASAAR Guest

    They weren't complaints. Just a mention of well known Windows
    faults that for some reason you have need to not only deny, but have
    given what would have been a brief digression a much greater life
    than it deserved. I not only don't want your help, I don't need it,
    and it's not for you to tell anyone that they must follow your rules
    as to when they're allowed to say anything. For what it's worth,
    I've probably been not only using, but building computers (not from
    pre-assembled building block) and designing I/O boards and writing
    my own custom BIOSes for them going back before MS had DOS, let
    alone Windows. I also spent about a decade managing a corporate
    network and solving problems similar to what you've described, but
    as I've said before, and which you don't seem able to absorb, I'm no
    longer interested in wasting my time on such trivial pursuits. I
    have better things to do with my time. It matters not whether it
    wastes weeks, days or only a few hours. I'd rather take pictures,
    read good books, listen to good music, exercise, visit friends and
    relatives, watch interesting TV shows and films, become more
    proficient with my DSLRs, cook and eat, etc., than waste any more
    time fixing imperfect and inelegantly written apps and OSes, unless
    I'm fairly sure that the required time won't amount to much more
    than minutes. What you persist in suggesting can be simply answered
    in four words - been there, done that. I'm not suggesting that what
    you do amounts to wasting your own time. If you still get
    satisfaction from fixing your own equipment and wowing your friends
    with your self acknowledged wizardry, that's all to the good. But
    I've outgrown that, and again, have better things to do with my
    time. Some day you may also feel this way, or at least understand.

    Nope, not in the slightest. As one that apparently doesn't
    comprehend the distinction between a hint, which can be a very
    polite suggestion, and a decree, which is an impolite, and possibly
    confrontational demand, it would have made more sense had you ended
    your question with "????" instead of "? ;)" which implies knowledge
    not in evidence on your part, along with a supercilious smirk.

    ASAAR, Dec 27, 2008

  2. Rodan

    tony cooper Guest

    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence. There are too many reports,
    by too many people, that Symantic remnants are near-impossible to
    remove and may later cause conflict to deny that this is a problem.

    tony cooper, Dec 28, 2008

  3. Rodan

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Tony:

    I've been an online user and Usenet subscriber, since 1996. During all this
    time, I've kept a Franklin "Language Master LM4000" [electronic "pronouncing"
    dictionary/thesaurus (it speaks!)] next to my computer desk. The handy device
    employs "linguistic technology by Franklin/Merriam-Webster®" and contains 83,000
    entries.

    Right by it, lies a somewhat ratty paperback edition of "The American Heritage
    Dictionary" (1970). It has a relatively paltry 55,000 entries, but, features some
    other interesting items (e.g., photographs/illustrations, etymologies, "a unique
    appendix of Indo-European roots," etc.).

    Happy New Year,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 28, 2008
  4. Rodan

    John Turco Guest

    HEMI-Powered wrote:

    Hello, Jerry:

    Hmmm, "100 octane" gasoline, you say? Whew, that's what U.S. high
    performance aircraft (e.g., P-47 Thunderbolt) absolutely >required<,
    back in World War II!

    In fact, the "octane system" was a huge Allied advantage, over the
    Germans and Japanese.

    <edited>

    Our Whirlpool washer and Sears Kenmore dryer, each lasted quite a long
    time (18 and 40 years, respectively), before being replaced, in 2007.
    They were supplanted by a pair of brand-new Whirlpool appliances -- which,
    alas, don't appear to be as sturdily constructed, as the old machines.

    Oh, and the ol' Whirlpool refrigerator has been chugging along, since
    1988. Plus, our John Deere 112 lawn tractor (1967 model) survived, from
    1969-2005, until it was succeeded by a fresh JD L111 beauty.

    So, you see, Jerry, American-made hardware once existed, and was often
    of very high quality. ;-)

    Happy New Year,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 28, 2008
  5. Rodan

    tony cooper Guest

    With what, John? You disagree that there are reports of problems?

    If so, Google "Uninstall Symantec problems" or "Uninstall Norton
    problems".

    tony cooper, Dec 28, 2008
  6. Rodan

    ASAAR Guest

    Ok, you've crossed well into troll territory. I offered no proof
    of anything. If you want to turn conversations into point scoring
    debates you'll have to find someone else, and I see that you've been
    doing that as well. You're another of the newsgroups trolls that
    will look for loopholes to extend any argument beyond reason.

    Wrong. You've done that more than once. In fact, when you
    returned to this newsgroup earlier this month you were actively
    playing Net Cop, telling others what they should and shouldn't do.
    Here are some examples showing your tendency to tell others what
    they should or shouldn't do or say.

    So what? Here's what. I generally try to convince others by
    providing examples, saying what I hope is logical and correct. I
    try to avoid winning arguments by flaunting credentials as you've
    repeatedly done, one example of which was telling us "I'm a
    long-time beta tester for Norton and Symantec, and have a great deal
    of experience with uninstall issues."

    I only provided my brief bit of bio to show that your repeated
    telling us how skilled you are in your job administering many
    computers and easily solving every problem you've ever seen means
    little to me. For all we know you may be just a windbag that thinks
    it's beneficial to pump up your image. Anything said on the
    internet is suspect, so you'd have more credibility if you provided
    concrete examples of problems and their solutions instead of
    unverifiable empty boasts.

    I explained in detail several times why I prefer wasting far less
    time by taking only a couple of minutes to reboot my computer once
    every week or two than dealing with the problems which oddly bother
    you much more than they do me, and which you at first mistakenly
    assumed were simple to fix, garden variety, typical problems. If
    you want to pretend that you didn't see my responses, OK, but I
    wouldn't believe it. The way you've been responding indicates that
    you value winning arguments much more highly that having honest,
    interesting discussions.

    Easy to say, but every time you come up with a response such as
    this you've failed to even attempt to show what the response is
    based on, and if I may quote you, "Thus far it's been pretty vague."
    No offense, but offense probably was intended.

    If you find it insulting and don't want to hear it again, just
    grow up. It's *you* that's been modeling childish behavior, and
    it's amazing how often you've told others to grow up or imply that
    they're being childish. Kinda like the thief that thinks everyone
    is trying to steal from him, or the moralizing, "family values"
    politicians that get caught in sex scandals with prostitutes,
    "johns" of same or different sex or youths.

    From now on the more you make "childish" accusations, the more
    scrutiny you'll undergo and the more you'll show who it is that
    really needs to grow up. When you ignore hints that your advice is
    neither welcome nor respected, and when you're explicity told that
    you've missed the hints and you still persist, that goes well beyond
    childish behavior and into pathological territory. You might well
    consider heeding the advice you gave to Jerry earlier today :

    ASAAR, Dec 28, 2008
  7. Rodan

    -hh Guest

    The reference to a fixed-income retiree was obvious, which clearly
    alludes to a lower TCO which the "buy it and drive it forever" is the
    general approach. (maybe lease a smarter brain next time? ;)

    In any event, its only a matter of time until the current irrational
    exuberance for hybrids wanes, and their residual values correct (drop)
    to a residual market value that more faithfully incorporates currently
    overlooked expenses such as the cost of battery pack "wearout". These
    are just basic market forces in action that illustrate supply-demand
    imbalance that invariably must come to an end.

    And as the product's residual market value declines, the accompanying
    lease rate for that period has to generally correspondingly increase
    to compensate.

    -hh

    -hh, Dec 28, 2008
  8. Rodan

    tony cooper Guest

    How did you check?

    tony cooper, Dec 28, 2008
  9. Rodan

    -hh Guest

    You apparently don't know many senior citizens ... folks that still
    want to own a car, but don't actually drive it much. The fallacy of
    your claim is that the cost of gas only becomes significant when the
    car gets driven. For example, I have a 90+ year old neighbor who
    drives <4,000 miles/year. At 30mpg on $2 gas, that's an expense of
    $400/year ... and if the car got 60mpg instead, she would only spend
    $200/year on fuel, for just a $200/year savings.
    But is it enough to offset the hybrid's higher purchase price?

    For example, the Insight you cite (below) has a $17K MSRP, whereas the
    ~30mpg EPA Toyota Yaris is a shade over $12K. That $5K difference at
    4% "interest" (to simplistically model present value) is equal to $200/
    year, precisely all of the potential "savings" the above Senior could
    be expected to achieve.
    But the 'average car' doesn't incur that extra 3 cents/mile lifecycle
    cost of the hybrid's battery.

    For example, assume Gasoline at $2.00/gal

    Your "60 MPG" is thus: $2.00 / 60 miles = 3.3 cents per mile (direct
    fuel cost).

    3.3 cents/mile + 3 cents/mile hybrid higher costs = 6.3 cents/mile
    (incremental hybrid cost)

    Converting 6.3 cents/mile back into MPG: ($2.00/0.063) = 31.7 MPG

    Now let's compare this to the 29/36 EPA rating for a Toyota Yaris
    again: instead of costing $400 to go 4K miles, the Insight uses
    roughly $200 worth of gas and $120 worth of its battery life, so
    there's only a $80 cost savings. So long as the present value of
    money is higher than 1.6%, the $5K cheaper non-hybrid Yaris comes out
    financially ahead.

    And if you double the mileage to 8K/year, then the cost differential
    is a whopping $160, and the present value of money break-even point
    moves up to 3.2%.

    Of course, this is the simplest of models: I'm knowingly ignoring the
    higher maintenance costs incurred in hybrids from its addition of
    additional unique-to-hybrids components, such an electric prime mover
    motor and high voltage systems. I'm also ignoring alternatives such
    as the VW Jetta diesel, which IIRC gets around 50mpg EPA.

    The bottom line is that you're focusing on just one ... potentially
    very small ... input into the total lifecycle cost (namely, the EPA
    rating) and ignoring other inputs, since this lets you jump headlong
    to the conclusion that you want, rather than the holistically correct
    conclusion: a classical example of Confirmation Bias in action.

    If you want to drive a hybrid because it makes you feel better, that's
    fine - - but claiming that its lifecycle costs are always lower when
    you've done the math wrong by being grossly incomplete is simply being
    dishonest.

    -hh

    -hh, Dec 28, 2008
  10. Rodan

    SMS Guest

    I don't think that there's a requirement that the batteries ever be
    replaced on a Prius or similar hybrid. They'll lose capacity, and
    eventually the time the vehicle can run on battery power alone will
    approach zero minutes (rather than the five minutes or so it'll run on
    batteries when fully charged now).

    The problem of battery "wearout" will be more apparent on vehicles like
    the Chevy Volt which actually runs on batteries for a significant number
    of miles and has an ICE for back-up charging when the plug-in charging
    isn't sufficient.

    The new breed of diesels coming to the U.S. (after being available in
    Europe for a long time) should effectively kill the non-plug-in hybrid.
    These vehicles get equally good (or better) mileage without the expense
    and complexity of a hybrid.

    Ideally we'd see a plug-in hybrid with a diesel engine. A lot of people
    could get by during the week solely on plug-in charging and only need
    the longer range occasionally.

    SMS, Dec 28, 2008
  11. Rodan

    -hh Guest

    Yet if the battery has zero capacity, it obviates its reason to
    exist. As such, it becomes a maintenance item, not unlike the battery
    that we all have under the hood to start the car, or the clutch in a
    manual transmission: all too easy to ignore until there's a
    problem.

    Heavier reliance simply accentuates and accelerates the "wear". As
    purveyors of rec.photo.digital, we use batteries in our cameras and
    over the years have experienced the characteristics of various
    rechargeable technologies. For early adopters of NiMH, we've already
    probably been through one "useful life" cycle, even if the
    manufacturer didn't necessarily advise us of this.
    Agreed "should", but probably won't: too many Navas's :)

    There has been some work in Europe with diesel-electric hybrids over
    the years. I recall that _Mechanical Engineering_ magazine had an
    article on a VW prototype several years ago that had a coaxial engine
    that was super-insulated to minimize cold start emissions and which
    had a nice side benefit of providing instant heat for cabin heat/
    defrost for winter operation if the vehicle had been run up to
    operating temperature within the past 48 hours.

    The broader generalized question of marketplace acceptance will remain
    dependent upon the cost of energy (including grid electricity) and the
    life-cycle costs that are incurred by more complex machines -versus-
    said cost of energy and the traditional elements of "good enough"
    being in competition with the "best".

    The current European diesel technology (not the new 'BlueTek', which
    is required in the USA because IMO of protectionist EPA regulations)
    is an example of "good enough", as it has achieved a broad
    adoption ... over 50% of new car sales in Europe for several years
    now ... for the basic reason that its economics numbers actually
    "work", although there was arguably also some prodding done through
    their substantially higher fuel tax rates, which IIRC help support
    their wonderful (in comparison to the USA) mass transit
    infrastructure.

    -hh

    -hh, Dec 28, 2008
  12. Rodan

    J. Clarke Guest

    The thing is, gas mileage is not the problem that the hybrids are
    intended to solve. They are counted against the Zero Emissions
    Vehicle quota for automobile manufacturers that the State of
    California has in force as a condition of doing business. Being
    allowed to do business in California is the problem they solve.
    Diesels, no matter how efficient, do not count against that quota.

    J. Clarke, Dec 29, 2008
  13. Rodan

    Guest Guest

    public transportation for a road trip????? you've got to be kidding.
    that is the most absurd thing i've read in a long, long time.

    Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  14. Rodan

    Guest Guest

    maybe for you but don't claim that it's better for everyone.

    and what do you use once you get to los angeles?? public
    transportation there too?

    Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  15. Rodan

    Guest Guest

    actually, you did. what you said was:
    better for *you* maybe, not for everyone.
    101 is usually a much better alternative, but either way, driving is
    faster and cheaper than public transportation, not to mention being
    able to set ones own schedule, no restriction on destinations, no
    delays, opportunities for impromptu side trips (often the best part of
    a road trip) and no restrictions on luggage.
    why am i not surprised.

    Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  16. Rodan

    Guest Guest

    based on *your* numbers, it's not. round your 'a little more than 300
    miles' up to 350 miles and let's assume 35 miles per gallon for easy
    math. that's 10 gallons each way and at $2/gal, that's just $20 each
    way. if you go with one other person, it's $10 each way.

    where do you get a ticket from sf to la for that???
    it's a boring waste of time to wait for public transportation,
    especially if it's late.
    and how does that get you to the places that public transportation does
    not serve? rent a car? that's no longer public transportation.

    Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  17. Rodan

    Chris H Guest

    They have a hydrogen-electric car that fits the bill now. Will do
    around 300 miles fills up at "gas stations". Running costs are
    negligible (very few moving parts) in fact the ideal family car.

    It will certainly meet all the requirements for most European families.
    I expect the far east will like it too.

    The US may not have any form of alternative by Easter.

    Chris H, Dec 30, 2008
  18. Rodan

    Chris H Guest

    Between urban centres rail and bus is quite practical. Once you are
    out of the cities it is less so.

    Chris H, Dec 30, 2008
  19. Rodan

    -hh Guest

    The marketplace impediment to hydrogen is that its a gas, not a
    liquid, which incurs an infrastructure investment expense to be able
    to supply it to the broader marketplace. Its not that it can't be
    done, but that its expensive upfront cost that must be hammered out to
    make the change be marketplace-viable.

    One alternative that seeks to sidestep the majority of capital costs
    of radically changing the fuel delivery supply system has been fuel
    cell research into getting them able to run on a standard liquid
    fuel. IIRC, the target fuel was either diesel or JP-8.

    -hh

    -hh, Dec 30, 2008
  20. Rodan

    J. Clarke Guest

    The trouble with that approach is that it doesn't really provide much
    in the way of benefit. You have the same CO2 emissions and the same
    dependency on fossil fuels and the efficiency of conversion cells
    isn't a lot if any better than that of an internal combustion engine.

    J. Clarke, Dec 30, 2008