    them?

    [It's for a 10D with the extra grip at the bottom and four lenses 20mm to
    300 plus a few other bits.]

    Simon Gardner, Feb 12, 2004

  2. I've got the second smallest size of the Lowe-pro backpacks, and they are
    really good. The straps are good for carrying and it has a chest and waist
    strap as well.

    The only problem is that it is right against my back, so it doesn't let the
    sweat evaporate. Some other backpacks I've seen have an open weave mesh
    that sits against the carrier's back, and an air gap between that and the
    backpack, but I've never seen such a thing in camera backpacks.

    Aaron.

    Aaron Queenan, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    I just bought the LowePro Dryzone 200. It seems to be a bag I will be happy
    with. It is big enough to allow storage of my fairly tall Nikon D1x, and a few
    lenses, some spare batteries, the charger, flash, etc. Don't know about
    getting it on a plane yet - the symbol at the LowePro sight says it should be
    good for under-seat storage, but I haven't actually put it on a plane yet. The
    best thing about it is the waterproof design - its a bag within a bag, and the
    outer bag is waterproof, using the same sort of zipper as used in scuba
    dry-suit construction. They say you can toss it in the lake fully loaded and
    it will float. May be good for canoeing, scuba diving boat, etc.

    I've had a LoewPro Photo-Trekker for about 20 years, and used it for my Nikon
    F3. Great way to transport a camera in my opinion. The backpack allows for
    hands-free travel, the its pretty simple to get off one's shoulders and onto
    something flat to open it up and retreive a camera, or different lenses, etc.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Simon Gardner

    KBob Guest

    Domke offers a backpack strap affair that allows you to carry their
    shoulder bags backpack-style. I find that being able to switch things
    around like this is the best solution to carrying heavy lenses &
    camera bodies.

    KBob, Feb 12, 2004
  5. I have a Lowe Pro backpack that I use for long trips where I'll be carrying
    it more than using the gear. I have a bad back, and the backpack works
    great for keeping me in balance and not in pain. Shoulder bags with the
    same gear keep me straining to stay upright, and I end up hurting.

    I've forgotten what model. It was advertised as carryon, and it is,
    although the lumbar support keeps it from squeezing nicely through those
    sheet metal templates (it does squeeze through, but not nicely), and it
    makes it tough getting it under seats, where it sticks out into the foot
    area a few inches. It's also a tight fit in some overheads.

    As with all backpacks, you really can't get into it while you're wearing it
    on your back. It does have a shoulderstrap, which I use for short carries,
    and a handgrip, which I use for even shorter carries. The pack is well
    padded, and I have no complaints about its construction and the safety of
    my gear in it.

    My general observation is that everything is a compromise of some kind. An
    over the shoulder bag is handier to use while you're carrying it. If you're
    used to working out of your bag on the run, you probably won't be able to
    do that with a back pack. If you lug your gear somewhere and set up a
    tripod and stay for lots of photos, access is probably not a problem.

    Give some thought to how you use your bag; if you can borrow one, or just a
    regular back pack with some home made padding, for awhile and use it, you
    can see if it fits your style of work.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Simon Gardner

    eawckyegcy Guest

    As semi-portable filing cabinets they work fine.

    As backpacks they suck.

    eawckyegcy, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Simon Gardner

    Me Guest

    I've glanced at this type of bag when I've been in camera stores but I
    have always been a bit dubious. Are they practical for someone who is
    travelling to use as a day pack (with space for all the other things
    needed to survive) or are they really only to be used for carrying
    camera gear around? Can I take one on a months journey through China or
    should I stick with my small case inside my existing day pack?

    Greg

    Me, Feb 12, 2004
  8. How much?

    Simon Gardner, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    Here's the line from my Credit Card on-line tabulation:

    2/3/2004 2/1/2004 CARMAN'S FOTO SOURCE STRATFORD ON $179.99

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 12, 2004
  10. Oh that doesn't seem too bad. Guess it would be only twice that in the
    UK...

    Simon Gardner, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    Well, why don't you just order it direct from this Canadian I got it from? Its
    11 lbs. Can't be that bad to ship over the Atlantic. Can it? Those are US
    dollars, tho, BTW.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 13, 2004
  12. Simon Gardner

    MJ Guest

    I've got a LowePro Trekker - or it might be a Mini Trekker - not sure.
    Anyway, it cost around £70. It's big enough to take overseas on
    holiday with a Canon 10D, 4 extra lenses, a Canon G5 and all the usual
    odds and ends, yet small enough to carry round town, shops etc without
    being too much of a burden.

    MJ

    MJ, Feb 13, 2004
  13. I'm afraid it can.

    Simon Gardner, Feb 13, 2004
  14. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    How much, exactly?

    Dave Head, Feb 13, 2004
  15. Well I'd have to check for this item, but I imported a box of camera gear
    last week and was charged <US$>282-40 just to get it to Heathrow. I was
    then ripped off a further <GBP>30 for "Airline handling" by the shipper -
    despite supposedly paying to ship to LHR. Normally for something like the
    above you'd get it delivered to the door which incurs a further "Customs
    clearance fee" for their trouble putting it through Customs. [There will of
    course be VAT to pay at 17.5 per cent and possibly duty.]

    It was worth it even so for the camera gear since I made a large net
    saving.

    Now I don't think this bag would be as much in charges but they would still
    be substantial and almost certainly not worth it.

    I got a UK price for the Dryzone 200 to compare - which seems to be
    <GBP>229-99 or about <US$>418 at today's rate of $1.8201 to the pound. So
    it's over twice the price in the UK.

    Simon Gardner, Feb 13, 2004
  16. Simon Gardner

    Mikey S. Guest

    I use a lowepro Mini trekkor, here is a link to it on B&H's site, but you
    can get one anyplace.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278343&is=REG

    This fits my Digital Rebel ( with lots of room around it, the 10D should
    fit), 70-200 F2.8 lens, 17-40 F4 Lens, and 4 or 5 other lenses, along with a
    550EX flash and a few assorted goodies. This bag is very well made, looks
    like it will last for years. I have a lot of stuff in it and it's heavy but
    I have carried it all day with no distress many times, it's MUCH easier to
    carry than a gadget bag, though not quite as convenient to get things out
    since you do have to take it off.

    Mikey S., Feb 13, 2004
  17. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    Woof, that's ugly. And the 17.5% tax? That's just too much. Between that and
    the famous gasoline taxes on that side of the Atlantic, its hard to see how you
    all have anything left over to live on.

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 13, 2004
  18. Simon Gardner

    leo Guest

    Thy don't have to become homeless to pay for medical bill though.

    leo, Feb 14, 2004
  19. Simon Gardner

    MJ Guest

    Now you've started it..............

    MJ

    MJ, Feb 14, 2004
  20. Simon Gardner

    Dave Head Guest

    Yeah, I guess. It would seem one would need to be really rich to live well on
    that side of the pond. Its a wonderful country, but "different", and I don't
    think I much care for _this_ _particular_ difference. I'm sure there's other
    differences I would find very agreeable. Prolly should go visit...

    Dave Head

    Dave Head, Feb 14, 2004