Cambridge Camera has moved to Brooklyn!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Wiss, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    Amazon has started a yellow pages site with pictures. See http://a9.com.
    None for Brooklyn yet, but they do have Manhattan. So I checked out how
    they compare to my Manhattan Store Fronts. First I tried Adorama. The
    picture it selected was several stores away. So I found the best and put a
    check on that most accurate one. Then I tried Cambridge Camera. For its
    address there was plywood covering announcing a new store! (Again I had to
    scroll up and down the block until I found their address.) So I went to
    http://www.cambridgeworld.com/ and I found a 718 phone number. The only
    address on the web site is for repairs. Still the NYC address. The NYC
    address is still on their whois. A reverse lookup on their 718 number comes
    up with:

    Cambridge World Inc
    34 Franklin Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11205

    That's up in Williamsburg.

    Let's see what I find for their apparent sidekick:
    http://www.aaacamera.com/. The site seems dead. What other domain names do
    these people operate under?

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Don Wiss

    wayne Guest

    wayne, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    Yes. A useful site to do research. Did you look at their last home page? It
    has a big notice:

    "In order to better serve you, we are moving to a bigger and better
    location. Please check back for our re-opening date. Since our new phone
    lines are not yet connected, please place your order via our shopping cart
    or via our e-mail ."

    And then they disappeared. I never had proof that these people were
    Cambridge. I just suspected it from their next door address, and nothing
    being next door.

    Here's the record they left behind:
    http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports/Default.aspx?id=1917

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Don Wiss

    C J Campbell Guest

    How the mighty have fallen. Way back in the early 70s I ordered my first SLR
    from them. Their prices were low and service was great.

    C J Campbell, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Don Wiss

    Ron Guest

    Boy, what a red flag. Imagine a serious company making a legit move that
    doesn't keep its old lines open until everything set up in new
    facility.

    Ron, Jan 28, 2005