    Sandman Guest

    Oh, poor Tony, who made such a huge deal out of his claim that you had
    "ignored" this "fact".

    Sandman, Apr 1, 2014

  2. Usenet Account

    Tony Cooper Guest

    What? Yes, he ignored it in the original post. He's now disputing
    that it's a fact. That's OK, he's entitled to dispute it. I don't
    agree with some of his points, though.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 1, 2014

  3. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/1/2014 5:35 PM, nospam wrote:

    Sit down now!
    I agree with you. That said, I know of a specialty bookstore that sell
    for full list, and his business is good. Not great, but good. If you ask
    where a particular book is, the clerk won't just say aisle x. You will
    be taken to that location, and shown the book and related titles. People
    feel the personal service is worth the extra price. that store is a
    leading place to get antique and collectibles. They sell only
    children's, and fantasy books. So yes, you have to do something that the
    others are not doing.

    PeterN, Apr 2, 2014
  4. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    To use an old phrase. "Happy wife, happy life." Enjoy the DR. I've heard
    there's lots of good shooting there, especially one hour before and
    after, sunset and sunrise.

    PeterN, Apr 2, 2014
  5. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    The pontificating popinjay just wants free English grammar lessons. He
    refuses to learn, and discussion is pointless.

    PeterN, Apr 2, 2014
  6. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Apr 2, 2014
  7. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    ....says the illiterate old guy from Florida.

    Sandman, Apr 2, 2014
  8. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    How did that change nospam's reply, Tony? If he would have said:

    "who goes into a discussion thinking their position is wrong?"

    It wouldn't have changed his meaning at all. No one does that. Humble and
    mature people can have their position swayed when proof and substantiations
    are brought forward, and then we have people like you, who will argue your
    position for days no matter how insane it is.
    Why not? It is found in direct relation to the product they're vieweing
    online. Checking reviews and ratings *before* you enter a store isn't
    really a smooth buyer experience.
    Yeah...

    Tony Cooper
    10/20/2013 <>

    "They are called "bridge cameras". If you write "bridges",
    most people would understand what you mean."

    Tony Cooper
    08/17/2013 <>

    "Most people wouldn't have to move anything prior
    to import, but the suggestion was made to someone who has
    accumulated 32,000 images with what I consider to be a
    rather cumbersome folder/file naming system."

    Tony Cooper
    08/11/2013 <>

    "Adopting the catch phrase associated with bullies is not
    exactly what most people would want to do."

    Tony Cooper
    Re: Fireworks
    07/07/2013 <>

    "Most people just include the burst, and that's overdone."

    Tony Cooper
    05/31/2013 <>

    "Oh. Well, so what? It's an establishing shot that is one
    of a series. Not one that most people would look at
    closely."

    There's more, of course, but still - what a "turn off"!
    Tony working hard to make it seem the prices quoted aren't "about double"
    by adding unrelated parameters. And now B&H sells low-quality knock-offs
    from China?
    As long as it's not nospam's way to do things, that is. That can never be
    right, no matter what.
    I suppose this is where you should be quoting nospam discounting other
    people's preferences?
    What does "right" have to do with it? It's his money and no one but himself
    can judge whether he spent them wisely. Not being knowledgable about camera
    details does not make this an "incorrect" purchase, for all we know, he has
    always nurtured a desire to learn more about it, in which case a 70D is a
    perfectly good choice.

    Sandman, Apr 2, 2014
  9. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    When did you ever discuss anything, Peter?

    Sandman, Apr 2, 2014
  10. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    See what I mean?

    Sandman, Apr 2, 2014
  11. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    Hot air might be welcome, but spring is already here in Sweden, but thanks
    anyway.

    If you have something specific, you're welcome to share, just adding a
    series of empty words means exactly nothing.

    Sandman, Apr 2, 2014
  12. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    Must resist temptation.
    Must resist temptation.
    Must resist temptation.

    Yeh! I resisted temptation.
    Yet another survey.
    Yet another survey
    Caveat emptor
    I see you are as good with your arithmatic, as you are with business.

    PeterN, Apr 3, 2014
  13. Usenet Account

    PeterN Guest

    Good thing you understand what you the true meaning of what you say.

    PeterN, Apr 3, 2014
  14. Usenet Account

    Tony Cooper Guest

    He what? Have you acquired a stutter?
    Is that how you read the comment? Does "only" not translate into
    Swedish?
    I guess you didn't have time to read what you were replying to. It
    wasn't at all about thinking one's position is right or not thinking
    one's position is right.
    Could you translate that sentence into English?
    Really? nospam must be right, then. I do things the hard way. I do,
    if the product represents a significant expense, check reviews and
    ratings before entering the store. Seems like the best way to do it.
    Shipping costs are an unrelated parameter in deciding whether or not
    an online supplier's price is competitive?
    I guess I must have missed where nospam said online choices are
    limited to B&H.
    No, I think he was right about something. Give me some time. I'm
    sure I'll think of something he was right about.

    Just out of curiosity, does nospam send you "Thank you" notes with
    little x's and o's for coming to his defense so often?

    Tony Cooper, Apr 3, 2014
  15. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    Good point, I think Peter here usually enters a discussion knowing he's
    wrong.
    Huh? Does peter not think that $200 is a third of the price of $600? Or was
    he just unable to read to save his life again?

    Sandman, Apr 3, 2014
  16. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    Indeed I do, given the fact that I always elaborate on my views and
    positions, provide ample substantiations, quotes and links to back it up. I
    don't go around making empty claims, as you know.

    Sandman, Apr 3, 2014
  17. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    Nope, I just thought what you wrote was extremely ironic coming from you.
    I guess you didn't have time to read my reply to realize I had read it just
    fine.
    What part has you confused?
    Many people do - that doesn't make it a smooth buyer experience, just like
    I said. It's an added step you have to add before you go to the store.
    Unknown shipping costs, added by you without knowing if there were any.
    I guess you missed that nospam was specifically talking about a B&H
    example, yes.
    See what I mean?
    I am not defending him, I'm questioning your arrogance and agenda in this
    group. It has nothing to do with nospam. It's just that it's something
    usually found in your replies to him since you dislike him - possibly due
    to the many many times he has proven your claims incorrect.

    Sandman, Apr 3, 2014
  18. Usenet Account

    Sandman Guest

    It's like having a hip-hopper tell me my taste in music is bad. Best
    endorsement I could get.

    Sandman, Apr 3, 2014
  19. Usenet Account

    Mayayana Guest

    | > there is something inherently dishonest about charging high prices
    | > without offering anything in return, ripping off the customers. why
    | > would anyone want to shop in a store where they get ripped off?
    |
    | Disagree. Stupid, but not dishonest. Problem is perception of value. I,
    | personally, perceive a lot of value in simply being able to hold the
    | product in my hands before purchase, and have my questions answered by
    | a (presumed) expert. Unfortunately, customers have overwhelmingly voted
    | they place little-to-no value on that, by purchasing elsewhere.
    | Dishonesty comes in on the customers side, where they TAKE that value
    | (showroom demonstration) without paying for it (making the purchase at
    | the dealer offering it).

    It seems that you're both focusing on one
    part of a complex issue. Nospam wants cheap
    and chooses to ignore the cost of actually
    having a store. He thinks it's dishonest
    for stores to charge high prices. (Especially ironic,
    given that nospam shills for Adobe at every
    opportunity -- a company famous for gouging a
    captive customer base.)

    You would prefer to view stores as places where
    kindly and knowledgeable clerks are there to help
    you, and deserve to charge a bit more for that. You
    don't think it's dishonest for stores to overcharge
    customers, but you do think it's dishonest for
    customers to take advantage of store sales staff
    without buying. Both are dishonest. Both are misleading
    the other party. Both care only about themselves,
    lacking what used to be known as common decency.

    But it's also more involved than that.

    Yesterday I was looking to buy a cane for my
    extremely elderly father. Walmart and Home Depot
    both claim to carry it. At Walmart it's only $17.
    But those stores don't really carry the product.
    It's not in their stores. They just claim to carry
    anything at all and then act as a middleman delivery
    service through their websites. I wouldn't be surprised
    if I could buy a circular saw or TV set at CVS or
    Safeway online for less than Home Depot and Walmart,
    respectively, charge for those items. But woe to me
    if I need to return them. :)

    I don't like to buy online, and I especially avoid
    anyplace where I can't call and talk to a human.
    I ended up getting the cane at Walgreen's for about
    $40. Walgreen's and CVS overcharge, simply because
    they can get away with it. They're giant, "godless"
    corporations, operating only for proift. Recently I read
    about how CVS sells customer medical records to
    insurance companies; just making a little extra money
    on the side. I'd prefer to give my business to a local
    drug store. And I wouldn't mind paying a little extra
    for that. But they're all gone. The undercutting strategy
    that Walgreen's and CVS started out with drove those
    stores out of business. The clerks in Walgreen's know
    nothing about the products. Nor should they. They don't
    get paid enough for that. They're paid to be robots who
    ask politely, "Do you have one of our valuable loyalty
    cards?"

    I wouldn't entirely disagree with your point. CVS
    and Walgreen's exist in large part because of the
    tendency you're talking about: People fall for the
    low prices, ignoring the slightly less obvious fact that
    by supporting chain stores they're driving out competition.
    The customer tendency to go only for price is what allows
    companies like Walmart to thrive. And now it's become
    what allows online mega-retailers like Amazon to thrive.
    But it's not as simple as a battle between nice, expert
    retail clerks and amoral online mega-retailers.

    Mayayana, Apr 3, 2014
  20. Usenet Account

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, learning all you can about a product you intend to buy is an
    added step. Omitting that step can make the purchase process
    smoother, but can also result in buying the wrong product or buying
    from the wrong source. Why you think this "bump" in the purchasing
    process should be avoided in order to keep the process "smooth" is
    rather strange.

    Uhhh...get your story straight. If he is talking about B&H as you say
    below, B&H charges shipping. I've purchased many items from B&H, and
    their shipping charge policy is not unknown to me.
    The B&H that does charge for shipping?
    Sure. We shouldn't believe what we see.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 3, 2014