Caller ID - Another "can it be done"

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Pete, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    Trying to work out a method of having something other than an
    "international" or mobile no. caller ID from voipcheap.com and a few
    ideas hit me.

    Firstly I tried sending a verification text to my voipfone free text
    mobile number..... still waiting for it to come through.

    Then I thought... Why not send a text to the geo. number on my voip
    service... chances are it wouldn't take a text, but, our BT line does
    recieve text messages, so, though it is no good for me, if anyone has
    their BT line connected for incoming calls try enabling text service
    (ours is enabled through a function on our DECT phone but I expect it's
    easy to do) The send verification text to landline, type in the code
    and bob's your uncle....

    Well, it might work or it might not. Gotta be worth a go for the few
    pence cost of a text!

    Any ideas as to whether my logic is flawed?

    Pete

    Pete , Feb 7, 2007

  2. Thus spaketh Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk:

    Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification text
    to a landline.

    Then there is the matter of because often during the day calls are
    routed from outside the UK even with a landline number CLID it will on
    BT landline still get displayed as international. They same way as if
    you use 18185 or 1899 from a UK landline, often due to routing it will
    still get displayed the other end as International, even if you are only
    calling your next door neighbour.

    Since I dumped my landline around 18 months ago and rely just on VoIP as
    my 'landline' service I don't get this 'International' call problem when
    people call me, my VoIP services display the number even if sometimes
    due to routing (all friends and relatives use 18185 or 1899 from their
    lines, some VoIP) it gets displayed a 0044..... (Though my DECT phones
    still recognize this even with 01... or 02... number programmed and
    displays their name). Also when I get calls from people who are outside
    the UK I get their CLID displayed.

    It's about time BT just let the CLID through and stopped masking it as
    International - Though as I no longer have a regular landline that no
    longer a problem for me.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Pete

    Jono Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} pretended :
    Did you miss out n't in the above?

    I can't verify my lamdline number as you imply you were......

    Jono, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Thus spaketh Jono:
    Sorry yeah, I keep doing that, missing the 'n't off words.

    Unless any thing has changed you weren't able to send a verification
    text
    to a landline.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Pete

    Herman Guest

    SMS reception is set to on by default for all landlines (it delivers them as
    a voice message so you don't need a compatible phone). This even works for
    some/all VoIP numbers.

    HOWEVER: you cannot verify landline numbers. Trying to fool the system into
    thinking it is a mobile number is hardly likely to work either. They asked
    me a couple of times to provide a verified landline or mobile number, I
    think to prove land of residence. However they state that VoIP landline
    numbers do not count, and indeed, it kicked out my VoIP landline number.
    Give it a try by all means, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

    Herman, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Pete

    Jono Guest

    Herman pretended :
    The "Verify" button isn't present on numbers beginning 00441, only
    00447

    Jono, Feb 10, 2007