    solve the problem. I don't trust these bastards one inch.
    If there is tampering going on who would be responsible for that? Would it
    be openreach or plusnet?

    tg, Oct 23, 2014

  2. tg

    Graham J Guest

    Is this sync speed or download speed?

    What parameters did the router report, both before October and now?
    Specifically we need to know:

    sync speed
    SNR margin
    loop attenuation
    error rate

    .... for both download and upload

    If the sync speed is unchanged from before and now, then the issue is
    contention - a change of ISP might help.

    Can you find out from Plusnet the BRAS profile? If they have changed
    this, you should find out why.

    Graham J, Oct 23, 2014

  3. tg

    Java Jive Guest

    Yeees. I am, sort of, in a similar situation ...

    I live way out in the wilds of Scotland, and my BB from Plusnet,
    although a lot slower than yours, is usually pretty solid. However,
    as with yours, it's been chronically unreliable for about a fortnight
    or so, going down momentarily every few hours or so. About two or
    three months ago, all the local connections were cut through by a
    neighbour mowing the verge, because originally BT never bothered to
    bury the cables properly, and for a while we all used connections
    remade inside a plastic bag resting on the verge. However, that has
    now been repaired, and suddenly BT thought it might be a good idea to
    bury the cable after all (doh)!

    The local exchange is also due to get upgraded early next year, though
    I don't think we will be getting fibre coming out to as far as here.

    I share your cynical suspicions, but have no idea how one would set
    about investigating the truth. Perhaps Kraftee can comment. Also I
    think that Plusnet support staff sometimes call in here.

    Java Jive, Oct 23, 2014
  4. tg

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Hi tg, if that's sync speed lines and connections do age and speed
    falls normally but that is quite a drop in one go, Is the voice line
    quiet (pick up the phone and press one number, that will kill the dial
    tone, and listen)? If it's noisy report the noise on the line to your
    voice provider. Don't forget to listen for a clear and unbroken dial
    tone first though :)

    My line passes through some trees and every few years my sync speed
    drops and when I pick up the phone there is no dial tone - the trees
    have won again!

    Rodney Pont, Oct 24, 2014
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    Is this sync speed or download speed?
    download speed as tested with speedtest.net
    I don't have this data
    I try and see what plusnet come back with.

    tg, Oct 24, 2014
  6. tg

    tg Guest

    there has been noise on the line and that's been reported to plusnet

    tg, Oct 24, 2014
  7. tg

    Rodney Pont Guest

    You should be able to get this data from your modem. It's far more
    important than a download speed test.

    Rodney Pont, Oct 24, 2014
  8. tg

    Rodney Pont Guest

    Are Plusnet your voice provider as well as broadband? It's you voice
    provider who has to deal with audible noise on the line.

    Rodney Pont, Oct 24, 2014
  9. I wouldn't believe that coming December date tg. Mine was due to to be
    avaolable on 31st December 2012. In that month they amended the date to
    31st March 2013 and it's now at 31st December 2014. There has bee no
    outward change to the cabinet which is only about 50 yards away in all
    that time. However 200 yards away in every direction from me people
    have been on FTTC for ages now. :( I'm awaiting with interest to see
    how close they get to 31st December this time before thek amend the
    availability date for the umpteenth time. I'm using
    http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
    regularly to keep tabs on it, but don't hold out any hope. Like you
    I'm with Plusnet, but their hands are tied with regard to availability
    of FTTC, I have been with them for quite some years and my connection
    speed has also dropped a fair bit over the last couple of years when it
    was around 9.2 Mbps. It's currently been rock steady at 8.2 Mbps. .

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°14 + on desktop, Oct 24, 2014
  10. As alluded to by others, to get a full picture we'd need to know your
    sync speed, BRAS profile and Plusnet profile.
    Are you sure? Almost all current router/modems will supply it. If you're
    using our router then you'll find it under Broadband Connection > (DSL
    Connection) View More > Details, once logged into the router interface.

    You can find out the BT BRAS profile by running a speedtest here (you'll
    need to run the 'Further Diagnostics' after the initial test -
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
    You can see the Plusnet profile here -
    https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

    Rest assured, we're not deliberately tampering with your line.

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 24, 2014
  11. tg

    Graham J Guest

    Why on earth not?

    It's in your router - all you have to do is open a web browser at its
    address. To find its address, open a command window and at the prompt
    type:

    ipconfig /all

    followed by "Enter". Look for the line that starts "Default Gateway" -
    type that address into a browser. It will be something like 192.168.1.1

    The router will ask you for a username and password. This should
    evident from the documentation that came with the router. If Plusnet
    supplied it, they should be able to tell you it.

    Graham J, Oct 24, 2014
  12. 'admin' as the username and the serial number of the router as the
    password -
    http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-advanced.shtml

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 24, 2014
  13. tg

    NY Guest

    .... and then start hunting through the UI to find where the line stats are
    hidden ;-) Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but I always find Technicolor
    routers less intuitive than Netgear, Belkin, Dlink or TP-Link.

    NY, Oct 24, 2014
  14. See my post at 11:58 ;)

    Plusnet Support Team, Oct 24, 2014
  15. tg

    Kraftee Guest

    The only thing I can add, in a positive manner, is that the OP stated that
    there was a problem and there was a reset, why just a reset and not a fault
    raised to investigate possible/probable cause. In your case, due to lax
    quality your cables got cut, affecting your speeds (when/if it was working)
    but hopefully now all is restored.

    Another thumb in the jam jar is the claim that OP makes '

    'I have been working in onsite computer repairs for 15 years and I remember
    back in the days of dialup I noticed users' connection speeds were lowering,
    and this general speed slowdown co-incided with the rollout of the first bb
    packages.'

    Which could have caused by congestion and contention (remember the days of
    the seemingly imminent crash of the WWW due to extra traffic), but it also
    begs the question as to why they can not provide any real data, as someone
    who is so seemingly proficient would know where to look and to check.

    Been dealing with these types of faults since day one and whilst the cure
    have been wildly differing, they have been 99% down to end user issues, the
    other 1% vary from CP contention to REIN and the odd one or two line
    problems

    Kraftee, Oct 25, 2014
  16. For much of the path from the telephone exchange to your home your phone
    line is bundled together in a multicore cable with dozens and dozens of
    other phone lines. The noise level on your line is thus hugely dependant
    on what other people are doing with their phone lines. The more other
    people in your area have broadband the lower your speeds are likely to
    get. Also the same sorts of things local to you that might cause
    interference to long wave and/or medium wave radio can lower your
    broadband speed too, especially if the line runs above ground on
    telegraph poles.

    Brian Gregory, Oct 27, 2014
  17. tg

    Martin Brown Guest

    It is the time of year when spiders and damp migrating into the trunking
    and cabinets - it doesn't surprise me that rates fall a bit now.
    Installing FTTC disturbs existing cabinet cabling. What I find amazing
    is that the huge number of junctions in them mostly work OK and survive
    bing distrubed when the engineer has to rip some apart to free a new
    real copper circuit for ADSL (our wiring has run out).
    If you monitor your connection with something like routerstats light or
    better the German one whose name escapes me you might get some idea of
    what is going on. Intermittent connections or part breaks in wires tend
    to be worse in strong gales and driving rain.
    I'd put the odd drop down to seasonal damp and spiders. Dropouts will
    cause the system to negotiate the speed down until it becomes stable
    again. Equally if it stays rock steady the speed will rise until either
    it becomes unstable or hits the target 6dB noise ceiling.

    Much easier to diagnose if you could give the modem stats.

    Martin Brown, Oct 28, 2014