Calculating MAL for a optical fiber cable assembly

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Brad, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I am taking measurements for link loss on several fiber paths using a
    pair of Tempo 525n-30 multi-mode optical line test meters. My question
    is do you count the connections at the test metter you are using to
    calculate the loss or were those connections "zeroed out" during the
    setup procedure for the test meters? If anyone has any information
    that may help ease my mind I would appreciate it.

    I know the formula:

    MAL = Aca L + Nco Lco + Ns Ls

    Where:

    MAL = Maximum acceptable loss
    Aca = Maximum attenuation of the cable
    L = Length of the cable
    Ns = Number of splices
    Ls = Maximum loss of a splice
    Nco = Number of connectors
    Lco = Maximum loss of a connector (mated pair)

    Brad, Jul 26, 2006