    Wow, I know I'm wrong? You know I know I'm wrong? When did you get
    psychic powers!?
    Some day you'll grow up and understand why you look so foolish.

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 20, 2004

  2. wntw

    Sommopfle Guest

    To: "one_red_eye" <>
    Re: Re: Cable vs. DSL
    By: "one_red_eye" <> to 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Tue May 25 2004 06:34 am

    eVEN THOUGH YOUR MORE LIKLY TO GET A MA

    sOMMOPFLE
    --- Synchronet 3.11b-Win32 NewsLink 1.73
    * Simsbury Online - Charleston, WV - telnet://simsburyonline.com

    Sommopfle, Jul 27, 2004

  3. wntw

    James Guest

    Shoot me if im wrong but...

    It is normally ADSL which an ISP offers, In my understanding DSL is only for
    switching stations for telephone companies to connect each other, or
    businesses that can afford it, bt offer ADSL which I used for a year, no
    problems whatsoever, 600k aswell, it depends on who you choose as your ISP,
    NTL offer cable, 150k, 600k, or 1mb

    Definition of dsl

    I would'nt worry about picking between cable or dsl, choose your ISP well

    James, Jul 27, 2004
  4. "personally i would say DSL because cable shares the connection with
    everyone
    in your area, ie all data travels down the same cable"

    So how does a phone line work then?

    Adrian Banbury, Jul 27, 2004
  5. wntw

    James Guest

    The statement below does not matter, how much you pay depends on the speed.
    with cable it is considered less secure, so users NEED to have decent
    antivirus/firewall software to stay safe

    DSL, bt offer ADSL 600k for £30 a month i think (this is 2 years ago)
    CABLE, can come in all speeds, typically 150k,600k or 1Mb to the home user,
    but is capable of speeds far more

    Is it for a business or home use?

    have a look at some ISP's website's and try to compare what speed's they
    offer compared to the price's they charge.

    personally i would say DSL because cable shares the connection with everyone
    in your area, ie all data travels down the same cable

    In your opinion, which is better?
    Cable. DSL is usually limited to 256kbps (maximum bandwidth of the line).
    Cable is capable of approximatly 27.5Mbps though usually limited to about
    4Mbps (thats a 1 MB download in less than 5 seconds).

    James, Jul 27, 2004
  6. wntw

    Jim Berwick Guest

    This is a complete myth. True, cable users are sharing bandwith via their
    neighborhood, but DSL customers still share bandwith, it is just at their
    ISPs headquarters instead of in the neighborhood.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 27, 2004
  7. wntw

    James Guest

    Trust me, there is more chance of someone intercepting something you send
    with cable

    James, Jul 27, 2004
  8. wntw

    James Guest

    I know a bit about networking architecture and cable tv networks form a bus
    but not sure about DSL maybe you know fellow

    James, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Anyway I know what I know and I know when I'm wrong

    JamesBenson is my name, Jul 28, 2004
  10. wntw

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, James mused:

    | The statement below does not matter, how much you pay depends on the
    | speed. with cable it is considered less secure, so users NEED to have
    | decent antivirus/firewall software to stay safe

    By whom is cable considered less secure?

    From an end user standpoint, the requirements of antivirus and firewall
    are the same for all users of the internet. You risk the same exposure with
    xDSL, cable, and even dialup (though to a varying degree).

    If you are worried about someone "tapping" into your cable internet
    connection at some place other than your home network, then all the AV and
    firewall software in the world isn't going to protect you. But, people can
    tap into xDSL too because it's as easy as tapping a phone line.

    The statement that cable is less secure than xDSL is a fabrication.

    mhicaoidh, Jul 28, 2004
  11. wntw

    Russ Guest

    Yeh there right, the more people on your street using broadband via cable
    and you'll see a big drop in your bandwidth.

    Russ, Jul 28, 2004
  12. wntw

    Rick Merrill Guest

    By anyone who has been infected via ethernet "ports" (and not by
    email nor web site). Use a router to be safe.
    Very true. BUT, cable users are the targets of choice for those
    looking to create "zombie" computers from which to launch their
    own spam or DOS attacks. - RM

    Rick Merrill, Jul 28, 2004
  13. wntw

    JamesBenson Guest

    Finally someone who knows what they are talking about.

    JamesBenson, Jul 28, 2004
  14. wntw

    JamesBenson Guest

    As I said before "with cable it is considered less secure"

    Read the following, I could of provided more but they will all say the same
    thing

    http://www.securemac.com/dslcable.php
    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html#II-B

    Q: Ask you self again "By whom is cable considered less secure?"

    A: By everyone who knows about networks

    "The statement that cable is less secure than xDSL is a fabrication"
    Fabricated by whom? me and all the experts

    "From an end user standpoint, the requirements of antivirus and firewall
    are the same for all users of the internet."

    What's that to do with it?

    "You risk the same exposure with xDSL, cable, and even dialup (though to a
    varying degree)."

    True to some degree but cable is more prone to attacks due to the layout of
    the networks

    If there are any network administrators reading this then please put them
    straight

    JamesBenson, Jul 28, 2004
  15. wntw

    Russ Guest

    But you ain't wrong today James.

    Russ, Jul 29, 2004
  16. wntw

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Really, that is insane considering my company's DSL customers have the same
    problem
    Again, DSL customers have the same problem.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 29, 2004
  17. wntw

    Jim Berwick Guest

    The more people on your ISP using DSL and you'll see a big drop in your
    bandwith. Both systems are shared bandwith, in fact, all systems are
    shared bandwith. Stop repeating shit you heard somewhere and think about
    the concept.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 29, 2004
  18. wntw

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Due to how TCP/IP works, if you don't do anything to proactively stop
    someone from looking at your network shares and the like, then the same
    exact thing is equally possible and just as simple to do via a DSL
    connection.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 29, 2004
  19. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Thu,
    It seems that Mr JamesBenson has a woody for Cablemodems. I think he
    must be spewing verbatim from some DSL advertisement without fully
    understanding networking principals. All computers, regardless of
    medium, are subject to hacking when connected to the Internet. That
    includes everything from lowly dial up connections to T3 connections.
    BTW, most DSL connections I know of only use PPOE, not TCP/IP as their
    protocol. That doesn't mean they're any les subject to hacking without
    security measures.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jul 29, 2004
  20. wntw

    JamesBenson Guest

    It don't really matter so long as you have a decent firewall & antivirus
    which are updated regularly, the risk is virtually minimal, again I would
    favour ADSL over cable, as cable uses LAN technology with everyone in your
    area, which is just the same as connecting two PC's in your own home via a
    cable, without a firewall the other users can see the PC and most likely use
    it's resources.

    the original question has been disregarded here

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004