  1. wntw

    wntw Guest

    In your opinion, which is better?

    wntw, May 25, 2004

  2. wntw

    one_red_eye Guest

    Cable. DSL is usually limited to 256kbps (maximum bandwidth of the line).
    Cable is capable of approximatly 27.5Mbps though usually limited to about
    4Mbps (thats a 1 MB download in less than 5 seconds).

    one_red_eye, May 25, 2004

  3. wntw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Are you high?
    Where are you pulling these ludicrous numbers from?

    -= Hawk =-, May 25, 2004
  4. wntw

    Ian Guest

    one_red_eye wrote:
    || Cable. DSL is usually limited to 256kbps ????

    where you get that info from ?

    Ian, May 25, 2004
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In one_red_eye <> typed
    || Cable. DSL is usually limited to 256kbps (maximum bandwidth of the
    || line). Cable is capable of approximatly 27.5Mbps though usually
    || limited to about 4Mbps (thats a 1 MB download in less than 5
    || seconds).

    Huh? Where are you? In Oz we have up to 1500 downstream ADSL.

    Cable can have a higher top speed, but it's like a shared water pipe: the
    more usuers in your street, the less bandwidth you get for yourself. With
    ADSL you get the entire bandwidth to yourself.

    Robert de Brus, May 25, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    The one with the maximum uptime at the lowest price in your
    neighborhood.

    Given both - the one that supports what you do on the Internet at
    the lowest price.

    I'd take either where I live, since neither is available ... sigh.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, May 25, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    Err - Exactly which orifice did you pull THAT out of?

    G.Lite (the DSL "standard") specs up to 1.5Mbit down, 256Kbit up.
    There's also a DSL Lite around here that's 256K down, but at about
    25USD/month here.
    More like 3Mbit/sec down. But that's compared to DSL's 1.5Mbit down

    Then again, cable is shared at the edge of your house. DSL is
    shared at the central office. What THIS means is that if the next door
    neighbor discoveres Napster and the one on the other side discovers KaZaA,
    your bandwidth goes down the tubes on cable. It's kept up much better on
    DSL.

    TYPICALLY. As always, TTLE, YMMV, BNI.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, May 25, 2004
  8. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    michael turner, May 25, 2004
  9. wntw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Wow, slow. They're rolling out 3Mbit DSL service around here.
    That's a fallacy. ALL bandwidth is at some point 'shared' bandwidth.

    -= Hawk =-, May 25, 2004
  10. wntw

    Martik Guest

    When we had cable, at 4-5pm when everyone got home the modem was slower than
    dial-up until midnight. Switched to ADSL and the speed is consistent
    24hrs/day.

    Martik, May 25, 2004
  11. In news:,

    Not so true anymore - the "shared water pipe" analogy used to be more
    evident while they were constructing and hard-wiring the local cable
    networks around here. Like your next-door nay-bore logs on, and your speed
    slows to a crawl? Naw. Not happening here.

    It's pretty consistent here on the Yellow Brick Road. Fair example is that
    I get a uniform average of ~3.25 Mbits/sec on the download--- peak
    business hours, like morning boot-up time, and COB last-minute rushes
    barely affect the speeds - it *is* noticable if you're running something
    like DUmeter - but it's really negligible and probably about the same
    proportion with DSL and dialup.

    The catch on this wonderful cable speed is on the *upload*, where my ISP
    puts an *absolute* cap of 256Kbits/sec - which includes your up and down
    packets for that transfer totaled, and that comes off your overall
    download speed a little disproportionately. IOW: if you're d/l-ing a file
    @ 3.25 Mb/s and you start uploading a file, the upload will allow you to
    cap @ ~2.49 Kb/s (the total of up + down would be >2.56 by itself) but
    your d/l would slow to ~2.32 Mb/s until the upload completed, and then
    you'd return to the previous 3.25 Mb/s d/l. And that's a pretty fair
    example.

    I guess the point is that ISP's target a download speed *and* an upload
    speed in their package; and, the upload could well be as important as the
    download speed in a lot of circumstances. (It also helps to goto
    broadband.reports.com and get Dr.TCP; and go thru those tweaks as well.)

    Bucky Breeder, May 25, 2004
  12. wntw

    one_red_eye Guest

    Sorry, I accidently left my foot in my mouth. The fastest DSL I've ever
    heard of was 1 Mbit. And the company was selling it for like $100USD/mo. The
    256kbit is comparable to cable's 4Mbit at about $30USD/mo.

    one_red_eye, May 25, 2004
  13. I am on DSL and Doubled that at 512 and I could go higher if I could afford
    it

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, May 25, 2004
  14. wntw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    What cable company is giving residential 4Mbit service?

    -= Hawk =-, May 25, 2004
  15. wntw

    Special Ed Guest

    Mindspring ADSL 1500/384

    1264/217 covad.net @ 60123 24th 10:18AM
    chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net

    Special Ed, May 25, 2004
  16. wntw

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    it depends on your area...
    in a congested community, dsl will work better.
    in a not so congested community, cablemodem will work better.

    also, distance will be a concern. cablemodem holds better bandwidth than DSL
    over long distances.

    price is also a factor.

    bandwith depends on the internet traffic. bottlenecks will reduce your
    transfer rates.
    i'm more concerned with latency than bandwidth.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 25, 2004
  17. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In -= Hawk =- <> typed
    || On Tue, 25 May 2004 22:19:58 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <[email protected] o t
    || m a
    || i l.com> scribbled:
    ||| In ||| one_red_eye <> typed
    ||| Huh? Where are you? In Oz we have up to 1500 downstream ADSL.
    || Wow, slow. They're rolling out 3Mbit DSL service around here.

    And?

    ||| Cable can have a higher top speed, but it's like a shared water
    ||| pipe: the more usuers in your street, the less bandwidth you get
    ||| for yourself. With ADSL you get the entire bandwidth to yourself.
    || That's a fallacy. ALL bandwidth is at some point 'shared' bandwidth.

    The only fallicy here is you, bozo. ADSL uses the existing phone lines which
    are NOT shared with anyone except the person paying for the line. It's only
    shared once it gets the the exchange.

    Cable, on the other hand, is shared from the word go. The same cable is
    shared down an entire street, or block. The more people connected to the
    cable, the less bandwidth the user gets.

    Robert de Brus, May 25, 2004
  18. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Martik <[email protected]_nospam_telus.net> typed
    ||| Cable can have a higher top speed, but it's like a shared water
    ||| pipe: the more usuers in your street, the less bandwidth you get
    ||| for yourself. With ADSL you get the entire bandwidth to yourself.
    || When we had cable, at 4-5pm when everyone got home the modem was
    || slower than dial-up until midnight. Switched to ADSL and the speed
    || is consistent 24hrs/day.

    Yep, that's the way it works. ADSL is much better if you don't mind the
    slower overall speed.

    Robert de Brus, May 25, 2004
  19. wntw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    And it's rather pathetic to brag about half the speed other people get.
    What part of "ALL bandwidth is at some point 'shared' bandwidth" didn't
    you quite understand? Was it the polysyllabic words or just the general
    gist of the message?
    Let's not forget to mention the incredible signal degradation that DSL
    lines suffer. You might as well be sharing it from "the word go" with
    the pitiful drop off in signal strength it suffers over even short
    distances.

    But hey, you believe whatever you want, you're entitled to be as wrong
    as you'd like.

    -= Hawk =-, May 25, 2004
  20. wntw

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    That's the way people pretend it works. In the real world things are
    different.

    -= Hawk =-, May 25, 2004