Cable Select question?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Will Hay, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Will Hay

    Will Hay Guest

    Another A+ query!

    If I use 2 UDMA drives on one IDE channel (80 wire cable) - one master the
    other slave and use cable select, why does the master go on the end and the
    slave in the middle? Would it not be better if the master was the first
    drive nearest the controller so the data has a shorter path. I seem to
    remember that in the past the slave would go on the end of the cable. If the
    jumpers are set master and slave rather than cable select are you free to
    place the drives in any order?

    Many thanks

    Here's some info I found in a text book (A+ Complete - David Groth - Sybex
    p.144)

    "The Mystery of Cable Select

    In addition to Master and Slave, some drives have a Cable Select jumper
    option. Cable select

    is a unique technology that allows the drive's position on the cable to
    determine whether that

    drive is a master or slave. This technology is available on most drives in
    use today. However,

    it is not compatible with standard 40-wire IDE/ATA cables. You must use
    either a special cable

    known as a Y cable (because the system board connector is in the middle) or
    a special 40-pin

    ATA cable designed for cable select. Thankfully, that special cable is not
    needed with UDMA ATA

    drives, because the 80-wire cable used with these technologies includes
    support for cable select.

    In order to use cable select, jumper both devices so they are both cable
    select and connect them

    to the cable (which is then connected to the motherboard's IDE bus). In the
    case of the earlier

    cable select cables, the drive connected to the middle connector designates
    itself as master,

    and the drive at the end designates itself as slave. The opposite is true of
    UDMA cabling with

    cable select: The device at the end is the master, and the device connected
    to the middle

    connector on the cable is the slave."

    Will Hay, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Will Hay

    philo Guest

    It does not matter what is better or not...
    that's the way it is if you use cable select
    (though I doubt the difference would be noticable)

    I seem to
    If you use the master /slave jumpers the placement can be
    in either position.

    philo, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Will Hay

    Will Hay Guest

    Will Hay, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Will Hay

    Will Hay Guest

    Will Hay, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Will Hay

    lisa nicholl Guest

    lisa nicholl, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Will Hay

    Rifleman Guest

    Could you please post something?

    Rifleman, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Will Hay

    DC Guest

    I would prefer that she didn't.

    DC, Feb 24, 2004
  8. I prefer to use armoured to sticking it in a conduit but then, I always was
    crap at bending tubes..

    DC wrote:
    :: Rifleman wrote:
    ::
    :::: [snipped, well... nothing]
    ::
    ::: Could you please post something?
    ::
    :: I would prefer that she didn't.
    ::
    :: --
    :: DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001
    ::
    :: Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    eric the seal, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Will Hay

    DC Guest

    eric the seal wrote:

    [...]
    WTF are you talking about?

    DC, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Sounds like he's saying he pokes tankers.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Howdy!

    Selecting cables, of course. Specifically mains wiring cables ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 29, 2004