cable router behind ADSL router

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Ric, Dec 15, 2008.

  1. Ric

    Ric Guest

    Hi All,
    This might be a tad OT in two of these groups, but you're all
    knowledgeable people so hope it doesn't irritate anyone too much.

    quick sanity check:

    I've got a Sky-supplied Netgear D834GT router, and I want to use that
    solely as an ADSL modem, and plug it into my new D-Link DIR-655 draft-
    N gigabit cable router so I get gigabit speeds on wired, and draft-N
    wirelessly.

    Being Sky-supplied, the Netgear uses Sky's firmware which lacks the
    native half-bridge support I was planning to use. Being Sky, they
    hide the ADSL username and password, too. I *think* I've found this
    out, so I could flash it back to Netgear's standard firmware which
    offers half-bridging, but if I'm wrong, I'm going to lose my internet
    access for a while, so...

    I was originally going to connect a LAN port on the Netgear to the WAN
    port on the D-Link, put the public IP of the Dlink in the Netgear's
    DMZ and use it that way. However, it occurred to me that there might
    be an easier way avoiding potential double-NAT issues.

    Can anyone see any flaws in turning off the Netgear wifi, and plugging
    a DLink LAN port (i.e. not using the WAN connection at all on the
    Dlink) into the Netgear LAN port. I then get all clients to connect
    wirelessly at draft-N speeds to the Dlink, and any traffic moving
    around the LAN will presumably be handled by the switch built into the
    Dlink, i.e. at gigabit speeds when cabled. DHCP could come from
    either box, I figure it wouldn't matter. The Netgear would still
    handle firewall duties, and the QoS built into the Dlink would still
    work as it'd be regulating traffic connected directly to it. In
    effect the Dlink would be acting as a wireless switch rather than
    routing, I guess.

    Am I missing something that'd stop this working?

    A neater solution might be to buy a cheapo ADSL modem with ethernet
    out that works in bridge mode, if anyone can suggest a likely
    candidate?

    Cheers
    Ric

    Ric, Dec 15, 2008

  2. Ric

    Conor Guest

    Just make sure that only one device has DHCP running.

    Conor, Dec 15, 2008

  3. Ric

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Would you even need to do this? If the second router is a cable router
    for an Ethernet presented service then I think it may just think the WAN
    IP is the one assigned to it from the Sky router's DHCP as the cable
    router is highly unlikely to do DHCP pass through. I could be very wrong
    here but I've certainly used an old Belkin cable router this way. The
    only immediate problem I can think of is if the private IP scope is the
    same for both devices, then the NAT/routing tables might get a tad
    upset...

    Clint Sharp, Dec 15, 2008
  4. Ric

    Marge Guest

    Theres no problem with flashing the latest NetGear firmware, I did
    mine 12 months ago,
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834GT.asp

    this sites pretty good too, sorry if you've already visited both
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/tech...-done-flashed-router-got-my-sky-password.html

    Marge, Dec 17, 2008
  5. Ric

    Ric Guest

    it's working, and so is DHCP from netgear to clients on Dlink - but
    can you elaborate on the QoS? that *isn't* working, and i'd quite
    like it to. any pointers? do i need a bridging adsl ethernet modem
    instead of the netgear?

    Ric, Dec 17, 2008