Cable modem randomly dropping my connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -=zZz=-, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. -=zZz=-

    -=zZz=- Guest

    I'm hoping that some can help me with this very frustrating and
    irritating issue with my cable modem.
    WARNING: Extreme whining about to commence...

    Here is my specs first:

    1) OS - WinXP

    2) Cable Modem - Toshiba PCX1100U (This is junk that an RCN tech man
    came and swapped out for my original Toshiba PCX2500). Didn't even
    have the decency to replace what I had originally, which was a
    newer/better model.

    3) Router - Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router WRT54G

    4) Firewall - Outpost firewall v2.1.303

    Now for the whining...

    Here is the issue,

    My cable modem randomly drops it's connection atleast 5 times a day
    mainly at night between 9pm and 10pm at night and sometimes for the
    rest of the night. This has been going on for almost 2 months now. I
    have made at least 6 tech support calls and still no fixy wixy. I had
    tech support come out once about 3 weeks but like I said, He just
    swapped out my perfectly GOOD/NEW PCX2500 for some junk and I'm sure
    that that wasn't even the problem (WAAAA WAAA, I want my PCX2500
    back). I'm like frustrated beyond all @#$%&@$% h3ll.
    James Earl Jones just keeps ringing in the back of my mind (Verizon
    DSL) I'm tempted man, really tempted! I like my current speeds but
    will sacrifice that to save my thumbs. Oh speaking of thumbs, I forgot
    to mention that in order to reconnect I need to power cycle and
    reconnect the Cable to the modem and man this will kill your thumbs
    after 20 or 30 times of doing this. most of the time that doesn't even
    work, it's almost as if someone is sitting on a switch and the only
    time I can connect is when they get up to go to the shitter. This is
    really painful can someone "HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

    Yeah yeah I know, Quit ya whinin' ya baby... Man I'm serious this is
    killing me!!!

    Please help out a fellow techy if you can
    Any help is extremely appreciated,

    Damaged thumbs

    -=zZz=-, Sep 3, 2004

  2. -=zZz=-

    Guest Guest

    Likely the router is the cause of the dropped connections. I used used so
    many routers and seen so many bust all of them within 6 months some within
    days.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Just a thought here.

    I used to have the same problem with COX a couple of years
    ago. It turned out to be a line problem about the same time as yours
    in the evening. Only in warm weather. One of the connections in
    their line was faulty and would degrade the signal. Loose my cable
    connection for about 5 - 15 minutes and cable TV signal was de
    gradated. After a few minutes all would slowly get better. After
    repeated calls COX finally sent a lineman out and they over the course
    of several evenings traced the line at the same time until the
    discovered the bad equipment and replaced it. The attributed it to
    the temperature change after the sun went down until it got cool
    enough. But they did fix the problem.

    You might have them check your line to the house. About
    every two to three years I have them out to change the line as the
    connections at the pole degrade and I start to get a ghosting on my
    local channels.

    Harvey Wallbanger, Sep 6, 2004
  4. -=zZz=-

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Just a thought here.
    Whew! I thought I was the only one! Charter denied vehemently that this
    could never happen. So they put an amplifier in my line. When they came out
    recently to add a DVR to my system, they tested it again, and had to replace
    the line. Guess what - no more amplifier (duh!) and I know have 3 TVs, 3
    VCRs and the DVR connected. I think I'm gonna hook it up to my capture card
    in the PC next. (Not addicted, am I?)

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004