cable connection stops working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I think my laptop computer locks on to an IP and will not allow
    another one to be assigned.

    I have a Toshiba laptop
    P4, 2GHz
    256 Meg Ram
    Window XP Home (OEM Version)
    All the latest updates including SP2
    I have Zone Alarm, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster and Kaspersky AV, all
    up to date.

    I use Roadrunner cable Internet connection. It utlizes dynamic IP
    addressing.

    My connection in IE properties is set up to automatically detect
    settings.

    My TCP/IP settings are "Obtain an IP address automatically" and
    "Obtain DNS server Address automatically"

    I can use IE and Free Agent fine until suddenly, I cannot access any
    sites or servers. I must reboot to clear the problem.

    Rebooting will almost always fix the problem temporarily.

    The "repair" action of the network connection appears to refresh the
    IP address but it never fixes the problem.

    Occasionally I can disable then enable the network connection and fix
    the problem temporarily, but this usually does not work.

    Sometimes, from the command prompt, ipconfig/release then
    ipconfig/renew will fix the problem temporarily, but this usually does
    not work either.

    Time Warner Cable suggests disable/enable or, if that does not work
    then reboot.

    This is no way for me to live.

    My other location uses DSL (Sprint) with WIN98SE. I never have a
    problem with that one. It is always available to me for remote access
    when I travel.

    How can I fix this roadrunner cable access problem please?

    BTW, I have run searches on Google and read until my eyes are crossed.
    I feel like I understand less now than I did before. Call me stupid
    and I'll probably acnowledge the call.

    Fred

    Fred, Jan 20, 2006

  2. I think you should call RoadRunner back and ask for second level or
    third level tech support. Get tough. This is not a normal situation.

    My RoadRunner IP address has not changed in months. (My computers and
    router are on all the time.)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Have you tried configuring your network connection to use static settings
    and running it for a while? This would help diagnose the problem.

    Malware Magnet, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Fred

    Scribner Guest

    Maybe you should download Road Runner Medic to give you some
    diagnostic information. I would also consider trading in my modem for
    another one. I have no problems with RR.

    Scribner, Jan 20, 2006
  5. No, don't do that. Everything anyone has ever said about the program is
    that it's worthless.
    That's a thought. <g> Might need a second-level tech to approve it?
    Heck, he should ask for a serviceman to come to the house and test the
    line. That's free.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks to everyone.
    My confidence is restored to the point where I will insist on better
    support from Time Warner.
    I did switch over to specific IP, etc based on what I captured with
    "IPCONFIG/ALL" from the command prompt.
    It's working.
    I'll see how long it lasts.
    Thanks again.
    Fred

    Fred, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Fred

    Scribner Guest

    I find it marginally useful.
    Naw. No techie approval needed. Simply unplug it and take it back to
    the Time Warner store. I hate having to make an appointment and wait
    for those guys to show up. And when they do, they are usually
    clueless. So they'll switch the box.

    Scribner, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I downloaded and ran all of the tools of RoadRunner Medic.
    It did not do any good.
    Once, whle IE was refusing to connect, I opened RoadRunner Medic.
    It connected to The Internet.
    I did not appear to do anything, but it did connect.
    I have been trouble free ever since.
    I'm still sceptical but somewhat hopeful.
    Fred

    Fred, Jan 31, 2006

    Do you say Fred for some special reason?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006
    What are your feelings now?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    What comes to mind when you ask that?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    Oh, I ask that?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    You say you ask that?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    You're not really talking about me -- are you?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    Does talking about this bother you?

    Elizavita Chirkova, Jan 31, 2006

    What are your feelings now?