c7304 and c2924xl - strange behavior

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Carsten Ranfeld, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    here we have a c7304 connected via Fa0 to a c2924xl-en using following
    configuration:

    switch: trunk port, encapsulation dot1q, no native vlan

    int Fa0/1
    description Router Uplink
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport encapsulation dot1q
    int Fa0/2
    description testing machine
    switchport access vlan 31

    router: physical: Fa0 (so called management interface),
    logical: Fa0.XX where XX is the vlanID

    int Fa0
    no ip address
    int Fa0.31
    encapsulation dot1q 31
    ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0

    It's not possible to communicate with the router over the switch.
    vlan-configuration is ok, using a 3620 it works. Debugging the network
    should that all the packets should arrive at the router interface, tagged
    correctly, but they are not accepted, evaluted, whatever. Even arp fails.
    When configuring mac addresses statically ip and icmp fails.

    Does anyone has a hint?

    Regards
    Carsten

    Carsten Ranfeld, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Carsten Ranfeld

    Adam Guest

    Is this with an NSE-100 rather than G-100- if that is the case the Fast
    Ethernet port isn't provisioned for shifting any amount of traffic and I
    wouldn't be surprised if a lot of features were broken on the fast
    ethernet port.

    Adam, Jul 31, 2004

  3. [ snip ]
    Yes, it's a NSE-100. So you mean, the Fast Ethernet Port is really only for
    management, and for "real traffic" one has to use the GBIC ports? Do you
    have any URL for this, I didn't find anything at the Cisco site related to
    this matter.

    Thanks
    Carsten

    Carsten Ranfeld, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Carsten Ranfeld

    Adam Guest

    Sorry for the delay in replying...
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...stallation_guide_chapter09186a00801acf32.html
    The Cisco 7304 router has an RJ-45 media port that provides 10/100-Mbps
    connectivity. It is not used for regular traffic. It is used to connect to
    a network management station and for downloading images. You should not
    switch to or from this port. For more information, see the online Cisco
    7304 Installation and Configuration Guide.

    I never bothered running any test out of the Fast Ethernet port, but my
    guess is that the Fast Ethernet port is driven by the Route Processor
    rather than the PXF. The RP can only handle 450 Kpps, the PXF can handle
    3.5Mpps (provided it is hardware accelerated).
    The G-100 OTOH can support 1Mbps with the RP- and has no PXF.

    The other alternative is to use the SPA-4FE / SPA-2GE (which will cost
    more).

    Regards,
    Adam Allen

    Adam, Aug 5, 2004