    I did not find answer from the documentation.
    Obviously it is ok to mix EMI and SMI images as far as the release is same.

    thnx, Vuju

    JV, Nov 27, 2007

  2. JV

    Thrill5 Guest

    No. All the switches in a stack must be running the exact same version of
    code.

    Thrill5, Nov 27, 2007

  3. JV

    Peter Guest

    Greetings,
    It is possible (but not recommended) to run a different Level of S/W,
    but I don't think you can mix SMI/EMI in a stack. About 3 months ago
    I had the task of resolving a situation with one C3750G 2 way stack
    that was running not only a different LEVEL of Firmware but also a
    different version of Firmware (I kid you not). Both were EMI though...
    To recover from this I was forced to break the stack and manually
    correct the Slave Switch Boot config to match the Master, then join
    them again.
    I wouldn't bet on that, although I haven't tried it. When you
    configure a stack you can boot each stack member from its own image or
    from a single source image, however the initial boot REQUIRES a
    suitable image in each switch to start with. If you have disparate
    images, your stack will refuse to join (and I have had that too).

    Cheers....................pk.

    Peter, Nov 28, 2007
  4. JV

    wayne Guest

    Mixing SMI and EMI is possible, I've configured this before. The EMI
    switch becomes the master and all stack members get the EMI functionality.

    I would not do this in a two-switch-stack, though. If the EMI switch
    fails, you lose the EMI features. The one time I did this was a
    four-switch-stack, two with EMI, two with SMI.

    One major drawback is that the master will not auto update the slave's
    IOS in this configuration.

    wayne, Dec 1, 2007