    with Fastethernet interfaces is there some way around this. I can't figure
    out how to trunk my switch to it.

    Any help greatly appreciated

    Mark St Laurent, Oct 14, 2005

  2. :My 3640 series router running 12.4 Firewall feature set no encryption
    :(c3640-io3-mz.124-1a.) does not have the command encapsulation associated
    :with Fastethernet interfaces is there some way around this.

    I'm not sure that it was necessary to post your question 3 times?

    :I can't figure
    :eek:ut how to trunk my switch to it.

    It doesn't support VLANs at all, so you aren't going to be able
    to trunk your switch to it. Not without upgrading the software.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Mark St Laurent

    stormrunner Guest

    Sorry for the excessive posts waited about half an hour didn't see the post
    so started new topic.
    In this situation would adding additional fastethernet port on router and
    configuing ip address of proposed vlan2 then plugging into static assigned
    VLAN2 port on switch solve problem.

    stormrunner, Oct 14, 2005
  4. :In this situation would adding additional fastethernet port on router and
    :configuing ip address of proposed vlan2 then plugging into static assigned
    :VLAN2 port on switch solve problem.

    The problem you have defined to us is to "trunk" your 3640 to your
    switch. No number of additional physical interfaces you add to the
    3640 will allow you to do that without changing your feature set
    on your 3640.

    If trunking is your proposed -solution- to a problem, rather than
    the problem itself, then before we can tell you whether any particular
    technique will solve the problem, you'll have to tell us what the
    problem -is-.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 14, 2005
  5. The problem would be, once VLAN2 is active how to pass traffic to the
    internet or adjacent segments through the router, is trunking the only way?

    Mark St Laurent, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Mark St Laurent

    stormrunner Guest

    A little experimentation confirmed this is definately doable, only tried
    from one switch.
    Set ports Switch1, 18, 19 to static VLAN2, then configured C3640 fa 0/1 ip
    to intended network @ 192.168.2.253 set nat inside and created additional
    overload to C3640 external interface. Laptop connected to Switch1 18 does
    NAT to the internet and (until I modify with access rule) see adjacent
    network. I am aware that just because something works, does not mean its
    correct. On the off chance that this is an accepted practice it is centainly
    cheaper to purchase ethernet switch port module for router than upgrading
    flash, dram, and IOS. Question now is what, if any, are caveats related to
    this configuration.
    Any response greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    stormrunner, Oct 15, 2005