  1. Hello experts! I want to start my new career with MCAD. I am both a C#.NET
    and VB.NET developer. Which do you think is more in demand in our industry
    from the two languages? Thanks in advance!

    Willy David Jr, Jan 7, 2007

  2. Willy David Jr

    Manno Guest

    If you are a .net guru, you don't need to worry about which programming
    language that is hot. From what you just said, you develop in VB.NET or C#.
    The choice then would be yours. I also develop in both languages but C# in
    my preference due to my java background.

    A lot of agencies out want to test your C# or VB.net skill even though you
    are an MCSD or MCAD. I have just get one test (C# ) done for an agency last
    Friday. They send you the link and a session code you start the taking the
    test. The test contained 38 question and they said it should not take you
    more then an hour to do it. It took me 45 min. and 20 sec. I had 34 out 38
    right. I'm pretty sure that they will be more than please with my score but
    I may not accept the position. I just wanted to challenge myself and back up
    my MCSD cert.

    Even though you can develop in VB.net and C#, choose a preference. Right
    now both are hot.

    Manno, Jan 7, 2007

  3. Willy David Jr

    Cerebrus Guest

    To answer your question objectively, I'd say C# is much more in demand.
    I won't go into the reasons for that.

    As an aside, my personal fave is VB.NET, though I'm proficient on both.

    Cerebrus, Jan 7, 2007
  4. Willy David Jr

    arnshea Guest

    Agreed. So here are my .02 dollars on the reasons:

    1-It's relatively new.
    2-It's a simpler migration path for C++ and Java developers.
    3-It's a quick filter for detecting some formal CS education.

    I have a lot of respect for self-taught developers; heck I was one for a few
    years myself. However, formal education fills in a lot of the missing pieces
    of the puzzle. In my experience developers that prefer the C/C++/C# family
    of languages are much more likely to have had some formal training than those
    that prefer the Basic/VB/VB.NET family of languages. Might be a generational
    thing but that's been my experience.

    Somewhat more subjectively, the C family of languages is far less verbose
    than the Pascal/Basic family of languages. Brevity is the soul of wit right?
    :)

    arnshea, Jan 20, 2007