Bye Bye Toshiba: Samsung Ships the First Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by asj, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. I'm really not sure why you support a format that is more restrictive, and
    gives the movie studioes even more power over you. You *DO* realize that
    Blu-Ray doesn't require managed copy, while HD-DVD does. That means that
    studio's have the *option* of whether they want to allow you to make a
    backup copy of your disk, while HD-DVD requires giving you that right.

    Also, given Sony's recent actions in regards to root kits and other
    invasive tecniques, one would have to wonder why a Linux advocate would
    trust them at all.

    And, by the way, today Terminator is ranked at #136. And The Fifth Element
    is at #410. This ranking really doesn't mean a lot. For example, Neil
    Young, Heart of Gold is #3 right now. And, "The Hills Have Eyes (unrated)"
    is number 6. Oh, and the mary tyler moore show is #14.

    Are you seriously going to suggest that these are more popular than the
    hundreds of other titles at lower ranks?

    Here's a hint, Items that are just released rank very high because a small
    number of people buy them in a short time. It's really only an indicator
    if you stay highly ranked for a long time. I also wouldn't put it past
    Sony to buy titles to pump up their ranking.

    Since the HD-DVD titles were released months ago, and the Blu-ray titles
    just in the last few days, it's natural that they would have high rankings.
    What were the HD-DVD titles rankings the first few days they were released?

    What *IS* interesting is that the HD-DVD titles are ranked higher than
    their non-HD versions, and that should tell you something.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 22, 2006

  2. asj

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    Other posters there don't like it, either. Here's just one chastising:

    "This is a Blu-Ray forum and almost of us want it to succeed. But it
    is ridiculous for you to be such a fan boy in the face of reality."

    --
    Jeff Rife | "My God, what if the secret ingredient is people?"

    Jeff Rife, Jun 22, 2006

  3. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Not every disc has LPCM audio. So far, only the Sony titles do, and the
    enormous amount of disc space that it takes up is one of the reasons for
    their subpar picture quality.

    The Lions Gate Blu-ray discs do not use LPCM, and are said to be a bit
    better looking (though still not up to the quality of an average HD
    DVD).

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 22, 2006
  4. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    And we won't even mention a comparison with the HD-XA1! ;-]
    So, just where are those comparisons to the flagship Toshiba player?
    The HD-XA1???
    OOoooopps! Looks like my secret midnight hexes are working... ;-]

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 22, 2006
  5. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    The HD content piped by a cable service is not true HD content.
    They screw with it (compress).

    Off air HD is far far better. Crisp and clean, don' need no stinkin'
    badges!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 22, 2006
  6. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Said the adolescent 12 year old mentality retard.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 22, 2006
  7. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Him? I'd say you have about a two percent chance that he'll get it.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 22, 2006
  8. asj

    asj Guest

    Uh, you DO know you're wrong, right? Mandatory managed copy will be
    part of the Blu-ray format as requested by HP.

    You're from Microsoft and you're telling us this? LOL.

    Here's a clue - Linux advocates would choose almost anyone OVER
    microsoft.

    Btw, I have no like or dislike for Sony, or Samsung, or any of the
    other manufacturers, although Toshiba I now slightly dislike because of
    the problems it's causing.

    Considering that's a daily tally, isn't it surpriusing that the ranking
    changes? Interesting huh? And yet, my previous argument about the
    relative rankings of Blu-ray versus HD-DVD remains - the miracles of
    modern science...

    Really? So, what ranking other sales would you consider?

    The fact is, Blu-ray is supported by significantly more studios and
    manufacturers than HD-DVD, which means the available content for
    Blu-ray will always be larger than HD-DVD...I mean, can you just
    imagine buying a player that will never run Disney movies, or Sony
    movies, or MGM, Lionsgate, etc movies?

    Yeah, I can see that happening...NOT.
    Now that is something that I would like to know as well. However, it
    seems that sales of HD-DVD titles have been slow overall according to
    news reports, so I wouldn't bet on those titles having as high a
    ranking as Terminator, for example. Again, it's the number of quality
    titles from Blu-ray that are NOT available for HD-DVD that will make
    the difference.

    asj, Jun 22, 2006
  9. asj

    Tim Smith Guest

    The relative-ranking argument is worthless, because of the big differences
    in what movies are available in each format. Looking over the movies in
    both formats at Amazon, I saw quite a few more HD-DVD ones that I'd be
    interested in than Blu-Ray ones.

    If the same is true for a lot of people (and looking at the lists, I suspect
    that is so), then we'd expect the top-selling Blu-Ray ones to be higher in
    sales rank, because the HD-DVD buyers will be spreading their purchases out
    more.

    Tim Smith, Jun 22, 2006
  10. asj

    asj Guest

    here's the point again - content is everything. would you be happy
    with a system that won't have disney movies, or sony movies, or mgm
    movies, etc? because that's what happens when you buy HD-DVD since most
    studios don't support it. NOW do u get it?

    asj, Jun 22, 2006
  11. asj

    selaboc Guest

    Would you be happy with a system that won't have Universal movies?
    And BTW, Disney isn't considered blue-ray exclusive. In early March (at
    the annual stockholders meeting) Disney CEO Robert Iger said the
    company still believed Blu-ray would win the format war but he also
    said the company "will probably publish in both formats". Basically
    Disney is waiting to see which way the wind blows. I suspect other
    studios have a similiar wait and see attitude.

    selaboc, Jun 22, 2006
  12. asj

    Bill Guest

    Disney went exclusively with Circuit City's DIVX for awhile, shutting
    out DVD. A couple of other studios (Paramount was one, I believe) took a
    "wait and see" attitude before jumping onto the DVD bandwagon. It's
    definitely too early to predict what will happen.

    Bill, Jun 22, 2006
  13. We'll see. History has shown that content alone will not drive a
    technology people don't want. And frankly, Sony has seldom succeeded in
    driving consumer technology (Minidisc? Memory Stick? Betamax?). If Blu-Ray
    is more expensive (and so far, it is.. Blu-Ray $999, HD-A1 $499) and Sony
    can't get their act together in terms of marketing... we'll see.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 22, 2006
  14. asj

    asj Guest

    HD-DVD is DEAD....all the big players are launching entire product
    lines
    around Blu-ray. Given the amount of money poured into Blu-ray by the
    major
    manufacturers like Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, and others, they'll
    simply
    outwait Toshiba, which is a much smaller player than them and may
    simply
    lose too much money on HD-DVD to continue.

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6086986.html

    Panasonic wants to remodel the entertainment center around Blu-ray.

    In September, the company will begin to sell a Blu-ray player, as well
    as an
    audio-video receiver and a set of speakers tuned to work with the
    player.
    Panasonic will promote these components alongside its plasma TVs: the
    company in fact will deliver a 65-inch plasma TV to coincide with the
    Blu-ray launch.

    Panasonic has already released recordable Blu-ray drives for PCs and
    has
    come up with tools to make video authoring easier. HD video cameras
    now cost
    close to $2,000, but relatively inexpensive--$1000 or less--HD video
    cameras
    will emerge over the next 18 to 24 months, according to manufacturers.

    Right now, HD-DVD players are considerably less expensive than Blu-ray
    players. Blu-ray backers, however, say their discs will hold more
    data. A
    single layer disc will hold 25GB, and a multilayer disc will be
    capable of
    storing 200GB on eight layers, which is more than enough for a
    high-definition movie and a lot of extras.

    Like all things Blu-ray, Panasonic's living room components won't be
    cheap.
    The player, which plays discs but can't record, will retail for
    1,299.95,
    while the receiver will sell for $999.95. The speakers will go for
    $2,999.95. Consumers will be able to buy the components separately, or
    as
    part of a package.

    The cost of Blu-ray players will come down over time, according to
    Kazuhiro
    Tsuga, executive officer in charge of digital network and software
    technologies for Matsushita, which sells products under the Panasonic
    name
    in North America. The biggest problem when it comes to cost right now
    is the
    laser and the lenses. As volume manufacturing kicks in, prices will
    decline,
    Tsuga said.

    The price of Blu-ray media will also drop, he added. Panasonic has
    developed
    a spin-coat method for disks that will drop the price. Right now
    recordable
    Blu-ray disks cost $19.95.

    asj, Jun 22, 2006
  15. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Look at all that great content available on UMD that nobody's buying. If
    your format sucks, all the great content in the world won't convince
    anyone to buy into it.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 22, 2006
  16. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    HD DVD discs "screw with it (compress)" too.
    OTA transmissions "screw with it (compress)" too.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 22, 2006
  17. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    Not true. Disney released some select titles exclusively on DIVX, but they
    started supporting DVD around the same time as well.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 23, 2006
  18. asj

    Larry Qualig Guest

    It is the consumer that will determine the ultimate winner in the
    HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle. Consumers don't know and don't care what
    format MS, Java, Linux, etc are standing behind. What consumers care
    about is cost. When they walk into a BestBuy/CircuitCity store and see
    one unit selling for $1000 and another unit for $599 they will buy the
    less expensive model.

    They won't care which one has marginally better quality video. Most
    people can can tell the difference between standard video and HD but
    few consumers will be able to discern the subtle difference in quality
    between these two formats. The difference in price... that's something
    they understand.

    At current prices not enough of either format will be sold to determine
    the outcome. The real battle will be to see which format can break the
    $399 barrier first. My prediction... first player to sell for $399 or
    less will be the winner.

    Larry Qualig, Jun 23, 2006
  19. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    That's a good point, although if those HD DVD adopters are happy with the
    format and HD DVD titles keep coming out at a consistent rate, we shoud see
    HD DVD sales stay at a fairly consistent level.

    Which is, in fact, what they are doing, according to this site:
    http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

    It's interesting to note that while Blu-Ray has 4 titles with a better
    ranking than any HD DVD title, the top 10 HD DVD titles have a better
    average sales ranking than the top 10 Blu-Ray titles. It looks like the
    little dip in Blu-Ray sales over the past few days synce up with Amazon
    slightly raising the price on average for Blu-Ray titles.

    At the moment, it's still too soon to call either format a clear winner. I
    think both sides consider these summer launches to be "soft" launches, with
    the real battle looking to be the fall and holiday shopping season.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 23, 2006
  20. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    Please detail how you think Blu-Ray "sucks." It's very similar in form and
    function to HD DVD, with the differences being either minor technical
    differences (the largest being the different storage capacities), or
    poilitical (who supports which format).

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 23, 2006