Bye Bye Toshiba: Samsung Ships the First Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by asj, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You're an idiot. The people's voice, as well as the LACK of sales
    will ALWAY, and has ALWAYS been the engine of commerce. If it is
    shit, the fish won't bite... at all...

    Reviews are everything. Just ask ANY broadway producer that has ever
    had a "bomb" that was thought to be a "sure thing"...
    You're an idiot. They are reviews by VIDEOPHILES that bought the
    machines! As well as folks that were given players FOR review.
    No. YOU drew that conclusion. The news merely stated a slight
    slowing in sales.
    Warner isn't "cutting" anything. It is ONE option of the many they
    have, and losing money is kinda stupid. Remember "Field of Dreams"?

    Here's one for you:

    "If you press it, they will buy (it)." Warner isn't going to shoot
    themselves in the foot.

    You are an idiot.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 21, 2006

  2. asj

    asj Guest

    So....the lack of sales of HDDVD is telling...right? And the reportedly
    very strong pre-sales orders for Samsung's Blu-ray player is also
    telling, right?

    And btw, being foul-mouthed and repeating all the time that someone is
    an "idiot" with no particularly congent argument to back this up makes
    YOU look like the idiot.

    Going to a forum where there are opinions from both sides of the
    fanbase is not as enlightening as going to a non-biased review (and i
    provided one link from PC mag where the reviewer clearly favored
    Samsung's Blu-ray). There seems to be a faction that desperately wants
    HDDVD to succeed and Blu-ray to fail. Unfortunately for this faction,
    they're not going to get their wish.

    Content is everything, and the LACK of content for HDDVD is again,
    telling. It sucks when most studios back the other side....

    asj, Jun 21, 2006

  3. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    You obviously don't know anything about AVSForum. It's where hardcore
    home theater enthusiasts and many industry representatives discuss the
    intricate technical workings of new products.
    A PR release from Samsung is not a "news report", dumbass.
    Your logic astounds me. By your reasoning, hearing opinions from both
    sides of the argument is less helpful than reading heavily biased
    articles likely paid for by one of those sides? Fascinating.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2006
  4. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    The universe doesn't revolve around you. Get over it.

    [deletia]

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  5. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    ...not for the same level of functionality as an SVHS deck.

    The monthly service fee supports features the VCR doesn't have.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  6. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    I guess this means you will be getting DirectTV now.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  7. asj

    Tarkus Guest

    So you can archive an unlimited number of programs with Tivo?

    Tarkus, Jun 21, 2006
  8. asj

    chrisv Guest

    You don't get that $100 price unless you commit to the service for
    some period of time, guy.

    chrisv, Jun 21, 2006
  9. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    That's just what I need, a whole mess of bulky magnetic
    tape flaking itself into oblivion wasting a god-awful amount of
    space in my house.

    Tivo will do that better too. The end result with be
    cheaper, more maintainable, and remarkably more compact. Then
    you open up the possibility for a nice cascaded DVD jukebox
    solution or just a monster harddrive.

    Tape techology simply sucks.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  10. asj

    chrisv Guest

    I agree. I was one of the very early adaptors of car (and home)
    CD-players for this very reason.

    But, an affordable replacement to SVHS is not yet available, AFAIK.
    When it is, I'll joyfully expunge the last bit of tape from my life.

    chrisv, Jun 21, 2006
  11. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    Actually, you can get that price in a number of ways that
    imply a contractual commitment. It could just be for the underlying
    cable service and you might not even pay anything for the Tivo (or
    other non-tivo pvr).

    This argument worked much better when everyone and their
    brother's cat didn't have a PVR solution of some sort and when
    the naked hardware cost $500.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  12. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    Sure it is. Dirt cheap DVD recorder consoles are all over the place.

    The media is cheaper, takes up less space and is more reliable.

    It's also easier to duplicate or modify.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 21, 2006
  13. asj

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    It does seem weird to me, too. Even he thinks AVS Forum has opinions on
    both sides of the issue. And if both sides are represented, then if the
    BD-1000P were significantly better than (or even as good as) the HD-A1,
    there would be a *lot* of people saying just that.

    Since it's clear from AVS Forum posts that the first Blu-Ray player isn't
    worth the $1,000 price tag, and that the first HD-DVD player is a better
    deal, either everybody there is an HD-DVD shill, or the BD-1000P just isn't
    that good. When you go back and look at previous posts where people tout
    how much better Blu-Ray will be, and now turn an about face when they get
    the actual player and movies, that says that even the Blu-Ray supporters
    are disappointed, which is a bad, bad sign for the format.

    Jeff Rife, Jun 21, 2006
  14. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Hey jackass, I didn't point out that forum to you so that you could
    start spamming there too. I'll warn you that AVS is a moderated forum,
    and the owners don't take kindly to trolling behavior like yours.
    You want a "review". Here's a fun one, from a site that's been a big
    Blu-ray cheerleader for the past year or more:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

    "Well... I've had my first experience with Blu-ray Disc, and Samsung's
    BD-P1000 Blu-ray Disc player. For the record, I have four titles on
    hand... The Fifth Element and The Terminator (from Sony and MGM) and
    Lord of War and Crash (from Lionsgate).

    You know how I keep saying that these formats are being rushed to market
    about a year before they're ready? And you recall how hard I was on the
    HD-DVD camp for their klutzy launch and buggy hardware? And you know how
    I said that Blu-ray Disc looked like the superior format, at least on
    paper? Well... unfortunately, the Blu-ray camp has dropped a dud with
    their big launch too. Every bit as klutzy as HD-DVD. Think Clark Kent
    klutzy, or Gerald Ford klutzy, or Chevy Chase playing Gerald Ford
    klutzy."

    "Now it's time to look at my first Blu-ray Disc. Naturally, my hand
    swerved towards The Fifth Element. The title was an amazing bit of
    reference work on standard DVD, and that Superbit version was awesome.
    Obvious choice, right? Should look amazing in HD. Yeah... it should. But
    it doesn't. In fact... I'm not going to come out and say it looks like
    crap, but it is easily the worst looking high-definition title I've seen
    yet, and I've seen 30+ titles now. The image is muddy looking, lacking
    in crisp, clean detail. The colors don't quite pop off the screen like
    they should. Just a mess. Okay... I will say it. It looks like crap.
    Sony should never have released this title like this. In fact, they
    should be embarrassed about this disc. Seriously, if you compare the
    upscaled Superbit standard-definition DVD to this, the Blu-ray Disc
    looks only marginally better. This should have been a reference title in
    high-def and it's not even in the ball park. My brow furrowed in
    troubled surprise at this point. Wow... and not the good kind."

    "There are some problems I'm seeing right away with all of the Blu-ray
    Disc titles on the BD-P1000. First, when I switch to 1080i, I'm noticing
    some very obvious scaling issues that I don't see when the player is set
    to 720p. I also don't see anything like this on the Toshiba HD-A1 at any
    resolution, so this is specific to THIS player, which may be why Samsung
    ships it with 720p set by default. Second, I'm noticing a very slight
    "studdering" problem. About once a second, or maybe once every few
    seconds, the video seems to hesitate for just a instant - a tiny
    fraction of a second. You notice it most when the images on screen are
    moving quickly, or when the camera is panning. It may be that this issue
    is related to the first. Still trying to figure out what I'm seeing
    here. Lionsgate's Lord of War was the title where I noticed it first,
    and I'll have to check them all before knowing whether it's just this
    title or all of the discs. Again, it's not something I've seen on any
    HD-DVD titles thus far."

    "I think I may end up giving Round One of this format war to HD-DVD, and
    that surprises the hell out of me. Sure, that Tosh HD-DVD player was a
    lemon until the firmware upgrade, but it's worked like a charm since.
    And the first 25 or so HD-DVD discs I've viewed just look better overall
    than the first 4 Blu-ray Discs I've seen. The HD-DVDs also have a LOT
    more extra features than the Blu-ray Discs"

    "I keep hearing these comments (both official and unofficial) from
    Blu-ray execs saying that they're leaving off the extras so they can
    give all the extra disc space over to the best video quality possible.
    Which tells me that Blu-ray is having major disc space problems. I've
    heard from more than a few industry sources that Blu-ray is having
    trouble getting the dual-layered BD media to work, which means that
    discs with lots of extras and good video quality aren't an option now.
    It also means that longer movies aren't an option now either. Both are
    problems for this format that don't seem to be troubling HD-DVD at the
    moment - at least not at first glance, based on the initial title
    offering."

    "I'll have more to say about Blu-ray Disc and the Samsung player in the
    next few days, as I spend a little more time with it. But so far, I'm
    less than impressed."

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2006
  15. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    Or Dish, or rent a DVR box from the local cable company.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 22, 2006
  16. asj

    J Rusnak Guest

    I find AVS an invaluable source of info on the entire gamut of home
    entertainment. Right now, I have neither an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player. I
    have certainly been on the side of Blu-Ray, at least initially. For me,
    I'm looking for the best picture, audio, and software content. I have to
    say that, for now, I'm leaning more towards HD-DVD. It seems to offer
    sharper PQ, equal or superior audio, better upconversion on standard discs,
    and more of the title's I'd want. (Give me SERENITY, BATMAN BEGINS, KONG,
    UNFORGIVEN over RESIDENT EVIL and A KNIGHT'S TALE anyday!)

    However, as anyone who ever preferred laserdisc over VHS, or Betamax over
    VHS, already knows...quality does not necessarily define what the publics
    opts for. That's not to imply that BR is inferior. We'll have to wait for
    the Sony and Pioneer players (and more software) before a verdict can be
    determined. However, BR is doing a MUCH better job in building consumer
    awareness...from working with and informing retailers to advertising. For
    example, the UNDERWORLD tv commercials plainly state "Available on DVD and
    BLU-RAY." They also have commercials on HD tv channels. I have yet to see
    any such promotion or DVD release ads for HD-DVD. (Just as there was very
    little on-going advertising/promotion for laserdisc.)

    I'll be getting a player during the holidays. But which format that will
    be, I can't say as of yet. But AVS will certainly play a big part in my
    decision.

    J Rusnak, Jun 22, 2006
  17. asj

    Tarkus Guest

    Equal or superior audio? Blu-ray is using PCM 5.1.

    Tarkus, Jun 22, 2006
  18. asj

    AZ Nomad Guest

    *can use* pcm.

    From http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_audio_codecs:
    Linear PCM (LPCM) - offers up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio.
    Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs also known as AC3, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
    Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of DD, offers increased bitrates and 7.1-channel surround sound.
    Dolby TrueHD - extension of MLP Lossless, offers lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio.
    DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
    DTS-HD - extension of DTS, offers increased bitrates and up to 8 channels of audio.

    I'd be more interested in what is actually being used by published BRDVDs.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 22, 2006
  19. asj

    Tarkus Guest

    Like I said, PCM 5.1. It's one of the things early reviewers have touted
    as being superior to HD-DVD.

    Tarkus, Jun 22, 2006
  20. asj

    asj Guest

    Although the first Blu-ray player from Samsung has not yet officially
    launched, sales of Blu-ray titles from Amazon are much stronger than
    the weaker HD-DVD sales.

    For example, Terminator (Blu-ray) is in the top 100 DVD titles at #86
    and the 5th element is at #290, while none of the HD-DVD titles even
    made it in the top 600!

    In the end, CONTENT is what matters, and with most studios backing
    Blu-ray (Sony, Disney, MGM, Lionsgate and others will NOT release any
    movies in HD-DVD), studios will look at the strong sales of Blu-ray
    titles and the weak HD-DVD sales and thus relegate HD-DVD and toshiba
    to the land of the Dodos!

    BYE BYE TOSHIBA! Take Gates and Microsoft along with ya, ok?

    asj, Jun 22, 2006