    difference. They won't know WHY but they will see it, just as they
    can see it between VHS and DVD. Even people who are not particularly
    visual will notice it.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 20, 2006

  2. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    If that were the case, my myopic wife never would have sprung
    for the HDTV and we would still be using the CRT projection TV. Even
    for TV broadcasts there's a world of difference between those two
    technologies that you don't need to be a geek to appreciate.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 20, 2006

  3. asj

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    Tivos are that cheap now.

    JEDIDIAH, Jun 20, 2006
  4. asj

    Oliver Wong Guest

    I'm ignoring "burnable Bluray" right now, 'cause I think we're still a
    while away from that technology.

    That being said, are vendors actually going to sell BR disks with
    multiple movies on them? I hadn't heard of this and I'd be skeptical of such
    rumours.

    I suspect Joe Sixpack is mainly concerned with "How much is it gonna
    cost?" and "What's so great about it that should I stop using my DVDs?"

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Jun 20, 2006
  5. asj

    Jim Guest

    but can you play Doom on a TiVo?

    I'm an ubergeek. I like my expensive kit. Which is why I built my own
    DVR over three years ago, using an AMD Athlon XP2400+, a Gig of RAM and
    an 80GB HDD. Throw in a WinTV PCI card, and it's ready to rip. Nice case
    on it, DVD burner, and I got me a £500 (then cost) DVR that I could do
    everything else on as well. These days, video
    capture/editing/transcoding is all that box does. I got bigger, better
    and faster boxen to do my other stuff on. So many boxen now, in fact,
    that I've got a storage /cluster/ (four machines), two workstations I
    use myself, the kids have a laptop each, the wife has her Mac laptop,
    and I got on top of all that, my plethora of portable gadgetry, among
    which half a dozen laptops and subnotes, two iPaq PDAs (one of which has
    GPS) (which I'm looking into installing Linux on), and two or three
    tablet PCs.

    --
    When all else fails...
    Use a hammer.

    http://dotware.co.uk

    Some people are like Slinkies
    They serve no particular purpose
    But they bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs.

    Jim, Jun 20, 2006
  6. asj

    Jim Guest

    addendum: getting back on topic, I bet I could get a machine specced the
    same as my DVR for something close to £140 or even lower these days -
    assuming I could still lay my paws on a Matsonic 8157E board and an
    XP2400+ processor...

    Jim, Jun 20, 2006
  7. Certainly, but why spec it so low when you can spec it to do so much more?

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 20, 2006
  8. asj

    chrisv Guest

    Plus a monthly service fee, of course.

    chrisv, Jun 20, 2006
  9. asj

    Jim Guest

    to keep the cost to a minimum, maybe?
    OK, you can get a standalone DVR for a hundred bucks, but there you're
    looking at an embedded system and /maybe/ a 1GHz processor. Being as
    it's there to do only one thing (compress streaming video), it shouldn't
    even need that.

    As a dealer, I'm finding it more and more difficult to lay my hands on
    anything lower than a 2800 Sempron32.

    Jim, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Actually, it's MUCH less than that. Last specs I saw for a series 2 TiVo
    was a 50Mhz low voltage PPC.

    My guess is that the Series 3's will be much beefier.

    Erik Funkenbusch, Jun 20, 2006
  11. asj

    asj Guest

    Notes on initial responses to Samsung blu-ray launch, people already
    buying players before content, and Java BD-J authoring of Blu-ray discs

    * Posted while eating late lunch on Nokia 9300 and Opera Mini Java
    browser.

    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...in_Samsung_Proclaims_Incredible_Pre-Sales/111

    Blu-ray Assault to Begin; Samsung Proclaims 'Incredible' Pre-Sales

    After months of speculation, excitement and street date delays, the
    Blu-ray
    format is set to launch over the next week amid a flurry of marketing
    hype
    for the format's first player and discs.

    Samsung began shipping its first stand-alone Blu-ray disc player, the
    BD-P1000, to stores last week in anticipation for its on-sale street
    date of
    June 25. Sony will prime the pump for the player's debut by issuing
    its
    first seven Blu-ray disc titles tomorrow, June 20; Lionsgate will
    launch its
    support for Blu-ray with another six titles on June 27.

    Samsung plans to have its player in over 2,000 storefronts nationwide,
    including such major chains as Best Buy and Circuit City. In
    conjunction
    with Sony, the companies will also provide demo players and discs to
    retailers to offer side-by-side comparisons with rival HD DVD in order
    subjectively sell the format to potential consumers.

    The electronics manufacturer also claims that interest in the BD-P1000
    and
    Blu-ray so far has been strong. "Pre-orders have been incredible,"
    Samsung
    spokesman Jose Cardona told Video Business.

    http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/20/sony_pictures_blu-ray_movies_today/

    With Toshiba having launched its HD-A1 and HD-XA1 HD DVD videodisc
    players
    in April, Samsung is preparing to be the first brand to formally
    launch a
    competitive Blu-ray Disc player in North America, with its BD-P1000
    set to
    premiere on Sunday. Despite that firm date, customers nationwide are
    already reporting having purchased BD-P1000s from Best Buy store
    shelves -
    just sitting there nonchalantly like any other DVD player, as if shelf
    stockers didn't know the difference. But today, those early adopters
    will
    finally be able to play real BD media - not just upconverted SD media
    - as
    Sony Pictures releases the first batch of BD movies today.

    Video outlets today should already have received, and will likely have
    displays ready for, 50 First Dates (Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore),
    Hitch
    (Will Smith), House of Flying Daggers, the original Terminator, the
    sci-fi
    "new cult classic" The Fifth Element (Bruce Willis), Underworld
    Evolution,
    and XXX (the film, not the rating). One title, A Knight's Tale,
    originally
    scheduled for release today, is being pushed back to 25 July. The
    high-energy motorcycle violence film Ultraviolet joins the line-up
    next
    Tuesday. Lion's Gate Home Entertainment is due to follow up next
    Tuesday
    with the BD releases of 2006 Best Picture Crash, Terminator 2:
    Judgment Day,
    the horror flick Saw, Lord of War (Nicholas Cage), and the Marvel
    Comics
    vigilante piece The Punisher.

    Java: Brave New Disc-Authoring World

    Blu-ray Disc relies on BD-Java (BD-J) for its disc-authoring
    environment;
    HD DVD uses Microsoft's XML-based iHD, or Internet High Definition. "I
    think
    BD-J is better future-proofed," says Eklund. "But it is complex," and
    implementing it properly will take more time, he says.

    The switch to BD-J required adding programmers and engineers to the
    disc-production mix.
    BD-J has two different profiles. Sony's first content will be in what
    Eklund
    refers to as BD-MV, or "movie mode." "The menus will still be quite
    different than what you're accustomed to with DVD," he promises.
    "BD-MV is a
    powerful format for creating interactive menus, and it will give a
    better,
    more seamless experience than what users are getting from DVD. You
    don't
    have to jump around between menu pages as you do with DVD. We use a
    graphics
    layer to present all of the text information, so you don't have to go
    back
    and access the disc in order to access the menus. We also have a tool
    called
    a pop-up menu that the user can use to access disc features during the
    movie's playback, so, for example, you can get to a commentary track."

    As powerful as BD-MV is, it has its limitations. "We are currently
    still
    investigating how we're going to author picture-in-picture content,"
    says
    Eklund. "But I'm sure we will be exploring that later on in the year."

    asj, Jun 20, 2006
  12. asj

    asj Guest

    Only the initial group of titles from one of many studios. Hold on to
    your hats, the battle for the world's living rooms is about to turn
    hot. Microsoft with its stoodge toshiba on one end and Java/Linux/etc
    on the other side.

    asj, Jun 20, 2006
  13. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2006
  14. asj

    asj Guest

    LOL....i think everyone pretty much can figure out who's "desperate",
    and it begins with the letter "T".....oh, yeah, links, dude....

    asj, Jun 21, 2006
  15. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    www.avsforum.com

    Go to the Blu-Ray sections and marvel at the sheer volume of people
    voicing their disappointment.

    And stop cross-posting. It's obnoxious.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 21, 2006
  16. asj

    asj Guest

    How many times are you going to use a FORUM as some sort of proof.
    There are obviously two camps here, and citing a forum filled with both
    sides is not considered "proof" of anything.

    I cite news reports showing that HD-DVD is falling flat on its face,
    with slow sales and Warner cutting HDDVD titles, you give me a FORUM.
    Great job.

    asj, Jun 21, 2006
  17. asj

    asj Guest

    Hands On: Samsung's BD-P1000 Blu-Ray Player
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002302.html

    Design. The industrial design of the Samsung is far superior to that of
    the HD-A1 in several ways. The sleek, piano-black box has a tapered
    look; a circular, pressure-based front navigation panel; comfortable,
    lightweight remote control; and a 10-in-2 card slot reader for reading
    photos or MP3s. The player even resumes disc playback where you left
    off, whether you press stop, or you power the unit down-a nice touch.

    Responsiveness. Again, the Samsung rates ahead here. Across a variety
    of standard definition and high definition films I threw at it, the
    Samsung was generally fast at navigating around and titles and menu
    options, and the remote's soft-mold buttons responded to my commands
    in a timely fashion. Sometimes, the Sony BD discs I tried (including
    House of Flying Daggers and Fifty First Dates) were a bit sluggish when
    accessing chapters, but this problem did not seem evident with
    standard-def discs, which leads me to believe it's an issue with the
    discs, not the Samsung player.

    asj, Jun 21, 2006
  18. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Learn how to quote properly and answer the right post in a thread,
    dumbass. I never said that.
    THAT's the part I wrote.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 21, 2006
  19. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    I will never buy a DVR until there are no subscription BULLSHIT
    attached to them, and they will record HD program material.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 21, 2006
  20. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You guys should have went and checked out the post I made of an
    image of my system in alt.binaries.pictures.misc the other day.
    Reposted...

    I have the HDTV / HD DVD / screamin' multi OS PC from hell!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 21, 2006