Bye Bye Toshiba: Samsung Ships the First Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by asj, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. asj

    asj Guest

    The format war between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD has finally reached
    consumers, now that Samsung is shipping the BD-P1000 Blu-Ray player to
    retailers. The BD-P1000 ($999.99 list), will go on sale June 25th,
    making it the first Blu-Ray player to hit the market. Until now, the
    only high-definition video player shoppers could buy has been the
    Toshiba HD-A1, which has been in short supply.

    The BD-P1000 is twice the price of the HD-A1, but Jim Sanduski, senior
    vice president of marketing for Samsung's Audio and Video Products
    Group, says that won't hurt sales. "Dealer demand is really strong,"
    Sanduski says. "Yes, we are double the price of HD-DVD, but we are
    confident people will buy as many as we can build."

    The Samsung BD-P1000 supports full 1080p playback, something the first
    generation of HD-DVD players do not. The BD-P1000 also up-converts
    conventional DVDs to 1080p to improve video quality. The player comes
    with HDMI, Component, S-video, and composite outputs. Samsung has also
    included a 10-in-2 multi-memory-card interface for viewing digital
    images directly from flash cards.

    There will be just 10 Blu-Ray titles available when the BD-P100 ships,
    including 50 First Dates, The Fifth Element, Hitch, House of Flying
    Daggers, A Knight's Tale, The Last Waltz, Resident Evil Apocalypse, and
    xXx. Sanduski says by the end of year the number of titles will swell
    to as many as 200.

    This is one area where Blu-Ray could have a potential advantage over
    HD-DVD. "Eighty-four percent of all the movies released last year were
    made by studios that have announced support for Blu-Ray," according to
    Sanduski. "That is a huge strike against HD-DVD." To be fair, some
    studios plan to release movies on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

    asj, Jun 16, 2006

  2. asj

    asj Guest

    Blu-ray uses Java and supports Linux.

    I have been canvassing HD-DVD and have seen unsold players and movie
    titles here in NJ. Since Toshiba is widely-held to be subsidizing the
    cost of HDDVD, you gotta wonder how long a company like Toshiba (which
    is much smaller than the manufacturers who are shipping Blu-ray like
    Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc) can last ;-)

    asj, Jun 16, 2006

  3. asj

    rander3127 Guest

    $1000 versus $500. You really think Toshiba will tank? You don't know
    much
    about consumers.

    rander3127, Jun 16, 2006
  4. asj

    Mark Jones Guest

    Either price is way too much for me. I will wait until I can get one
    for less than $300.

    Mark Jones, Jun 16, 2006
  5. asj

    Tarkus Guest

    Early adopters typically have more disposable income than most, and are
    more willing to pay a premium for what they want. Both sides will be far
    more affordable by the time this gets anywhere near mainstream.

    Tarkus, Jun 16, 2006
  6. asj

    asj Guest

    about consumers.

    considering these are targeted towards early adopters and the well-off,
    and considering blu-ray has significantly greater storage, content, and
    other capabilitles - uh, yes toshiba is in trouble. sales of toshiba
    hddvd titles are already slow....

    asj, Jun 16, 2006
  7. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    And initial reports are that it's a complete piece of crap.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 17, 2006
  8. asj

    Tarkus Guest

    Odd, considering it just shipped, and doesn't go on sale till the 25th.

    Tarkus, Jun 17, 2006
  9. asj

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Jun 17, 2006
  10. asj

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    The players have been leaking out from retailers selling them early. A
    number of people on AVSForum have them.

    1) When has CNET ever been a reliable source for technical reviews?
    2) The writer of that article says in it that he only had the player for
    3 hours and didn't do much with it.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 17, 2006
  11. asj

    Alpha Guest

    Show one review that states they are a piece of crap (or anything like
    that).

    Alpha, Jun 17, 2006
  12. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Is that why Amazon can't keep up?

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 17, 2006
  13. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    Idiot. Magazines review sample models long before release dates in
    the past. (Xbox 360) Why should now be any different?

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 17, 2006
  14. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    My review...

    $1000! HA! That's a TOTAL piece of CRAP!

    There ya go. There's one review that says they are a piece of crap.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 17, 2006
  15. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    Says who?

    Anyway, Amazon is not a good indicator of overall popularity. It's just
    one online retailer.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 17, 2006
  16. asj

    Jay G. Guest

    Funny, since you've said that cheaper items were more likely pieces of
    crap.

    Can you find a *relevant* review that slams the machine? Like, a review by
    someone who's actually *used* it?

    -Jay

    Jay G., Jun 17, 2006
  17. asj

    Eli Renfro Guest

    sales of toshiba hddvd titles are already slow....

    Toshiba manufactures HD-DVD movies?

    Eli Renfro, Jun 17, 2006
  18. asj

    Rich Guest

    Oddly enough, when Sony was shipping their $1600 DVD player, Toshiba
    and Panasonic
    both shipped $300 and $600 players so back then people other than
    "early adopters"
    were being catered to.

    Rich, Jun 17, 2006
  19. asj

    GMAN Guest

    One if not the largest.

    GMAN, Jun 17, 2006
  20. asj

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    You're an idiot. I said nothing about a popularity contest,
    dipshit.
    and you are just one online twit.

    I have disc orders that are not shipped as they are awaiting
    inventory.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 17, 2006