    I tell which the fakes are?

    Who are the merchants I can trust on eBay?

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008

  2. Duncan H. Davies

    Dave Cohen Guest

    To each his own. I don't know all the details of ebay. My son uses them
    for everything. Sometimes he makes out sometimes he doesn't. Apparently
    the people using it rate each other. Personally, my opinion of ebay is
    shaded by the bad things I've seen mentioned here and elsewhere.
    Obviously this is not the norm but why bother if you don't have to. The
    op is basically concerned over shipping costs.
    Amazon show this item via a reseller at a lower price than B&H. Amazon
    are normally very good.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 21, 2008

  3. Duncan H. Davies

    Jeannie Guest

    They aren't any good at all. Amazon.com won't ship SDHC cards to
    Canada, and amazon.ca doesn't list them.

    Dunc

    Jeannie, May 21, 2008
  4. Do you know which merchants on eBay offer authentic cards? If not,
    your reply is off-topic.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008
  5. Duncan H. Davies

    Jufi Guest

    Of all the things you can buy on eBay, memory cards are probably the one
    item where you're more than likely to get a fake. Pay B&H, get the real
    thing, and avoid eBay. It used to be a decent service, but it's really sunk
    low lately.

    Jufi, May 21, 2008
  6. I already know how eBay works, thank you. My question was how to know
    which merchants ship authentic memory cards, not how eBay works. .

    Your response implies that a fake card can be recognized immediately
    once received, prompting negative feedback, but that is not something
    that is known to me.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 21, 2008
  7. Duncan H. Davies

    Jfixit Guest

    right now Sandisk is offering a very good rebate .BUT you have to
    buy the item from one of the retailers listed on the rebate form. I
    use Beach cam/BuyDig .com.Seeing i live in NYS i don't have to pay the
    tax from a retailer in NJ

    Jfixit, May 21, 2008
  8. Duncan H. Davies

    Frank Arthur Guest

    Many cards from Ebay are Sandisk forgeries. Try asking the seller to
    guarantee that the card is legitimate and suppl.ied directly from
    Sandisk USA or Canada.

    Frank Arthur, May 21, 2008
  9. Duncan H. Davies

    Ray Paseur Guest

    FWIW, I have bought counterfeit Sandisk CF cards on eBay. They work fine -
    sometimes a little slow or not quite up to rated storage capacity, but I
    have never lost an image. Never.

    Can't tell you that you will have an equivalent experience, but you should
    look at the feedback and see what the vendors are selling. If you have
    more than one or two negatives over the SDHC cards, beware. If they do not
    read and write gramatically good englisch, beware. If they have high
    shipping charges (not refundable) beware. If they sell SDHC cards and
    other camera components at ridiculously low prices, beware. Those would be
    the things that would seem to distinguish a less-than-perfect operation.

    Maybe you could become the Canadian Sandisk distributor?!

    Good luck! ~Ray

    Ray Paseur, May 21, 2008
  10. Duncan H. Davies

    Jeff R. Guest

    Yes.
    Its just like sex.
    You shouldn't have sex until you are perfect at it.

    Makes sense.

    Jeff R., May 22, 2008
  11. Duncan H. Davies

    default Guest

    default, May 22, 2008
  12. Duncan H. Davies, May 22, 2008
  13. Duncan H. Davies

    Frank Arthur Guest

    Legitimate Frank Arthur posts only from BellSouth Internet Group.
    Look!Turn on your header. It says- Organization:BellSouth Internet
    Group
    Otherwise it is a forgery and you are being defrauded!
    Not true. You cannot recognize a legit card. SanDisk will ask you to
    photograph views of the card. Their experts there can tell. In my case
    I sent photos of an Ebay purchased card, from a seller with what
    seemed reliable reputation. It turned out to be fake.

    Frank Arthur, May 22, 2008
  14. Thanks.

    So that means buy only from known reputable sources like local stores
    or the big mail order places like B&H.

    Dunc

    Duncan H. Davies, May 23, 2008
  15. I always use Ebay, but carefully check specs, feedback, newsgroups and
    other technical foums. So far all the memory products I've bought have
    turned out to be very good, nearly always better than I expected, and
    in some cases superior in speed to the products of the Big Reputable
    Names.

    And in the case of second hand products I've nearly always got
    excellent bargains.

    It's a trade-off. If you have more intelligence and time than money
    there's nothing to beat Ebay. If you're busy and want trouble-free
    guarantees of quality then just open your waller wider and stick with
    Reputable Names.

    Chris Malcolm, May 23, 2008
  16. Duncan H. Davies

    TJ Guest

    Nice example! :)

    TJ

    TJ, May 23, 2008
  17. Why not buy 8 2 Gb cards with the same money? Not putting all your eggs in
    one basket, after all? 1 GB sells for 20 euros, even a 1 GB genuine Hewlett
    Packard memory stick for my mother's laptop cost 20 euros, from my favourite
    merchant www.cccira.gr Go for a walk to the shops, compare prices and
    brands, and get what you really like, that would be the best IMHO, why trust
    someone whose face you'll never see?

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, May 23, 2008
  18. Duncan H. Davies

    Bruce Guest

    Bruce, May 23, 2008
  19. Duncan H. Davies

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Not sure if that makes Amazon a bad guy but how would I know, I left
    Canada 50 years ago after a 9 month sojourn. In retrospect leaving may
    not have been a smart move, but it's too late now and I don't keep track
    of who ships where. I would still avoid ebay if you're only talking
    about a few bucks.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, May 24, 2008