    (I've been looking at Canon s70 and Fuji e510, even the Fuji
    e550 is at least wider than usual)

    thanks

    kappo50, Dec 9, 2005

  2. kappo50

    JohnR66 Guest

    There was a good discussion on this here, a couple weeks ago. It seems the
    consensus was that referbs are a risky endevour. Many of the referbs are not
    properly quality checked (if at all). You still may find a good deal.

    John

    JohnR66, Dec 9, 2005

  3. The Cannon S70 is a brilliant camera, can be used as a P&S, but also has ALL
    the manual options you would ever need, if you later decide to progress into
    more interesting photography.

    When we bought ours we shopped around online, and saved a HUGE amount of
    money. I don't know where you are in the world - but in the UK - some high
    street places were selling this camera for £500!

    We got it for just over £280 online.

    So maybe with a bit of research, you won't need to buy a refurb?

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Dec 9, 2005
  4. kappo50

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I've bought two refurbs, an Olympus Stylus Zoom (35mm film camera)
    which worked out fine, and a Nikon Coolpix 3100 which has some minor
    problems. The Nikon came with a 90 day warranty so if I'd been more
    organized I could have sent it back, but the probs aren't that big a
    deal, and might affect all 3100's rather than just my unit.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 9, 2005
  5. kappo50

    bmoag Guest

    If you buy a refurbished unit from the manufacturer you get a reliable
    warranty. I have bought from Nikon and Epson several units like this and all
    have functioned as if brand new and were warrantied identically to brand new
    units. I think you have to be a blithering idiot to buy a refurbished item
    off of Ebay.

    bmoag, Dec 9, 2005
  6. kappo50

    Rob Graham Guest

    Well this 'blithering idiot' has saved himself a shed load of money by
    buying two cameras - a Canon A80 and a D300 off Ebay as
    'returned/refurbished' items. Both have been excellent without any problems
    whatsoever and have come from a Canon approved supplier with a 12 month
    warranty.

    Rob

    Rob Graham, Dec 9, 2005
  7. kappo50

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have bought refurbished computer hardware, and been quite happy with
    it. When items are 'refurbished', they are, at least, tested, which is
    more than one can say for some new items....

    I can tell you that if you buy a 'factory reburbished' Dell product, it
    has been throughly repaired, and tested, as I have seen their facility
    and was very impressed with it.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 9, 2005
  8. kappo50

    Tony Guest

    Refurbished these days usually means - Returned and put back out, with no
    work done whatsoever and they'll keep shipping them to you until one works,
    or you fail to notice what is wrong with it soon enough. Add that to ebay
    and you have a formula for PITA.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 9, 2005
  9. kappo50

    Jeremy Guest

    Glad to hear that you came out a winner, but the fact remains that there are
    lots of items for sale on eBay that are characterized as "refurbished," that
    were subjected to only the slightest scrutiny (if any at all) before they
    were repackaged and offered for sale. And many of the warranties
    accompanying such merchandise run for a very short time.

    There is an element of risk accompanying such purchases, and the buyer
    should determine if it acceptable--especially if the merchandise is offered
    by a third party, rather than the original manufacturer.

    I wouldn't characterize you as an "idiot" for having taken that risk, but it
    would be equally inappropriate for you to suggest that your particular
    experiences, however positive, are the norm when it comes to refurbished
    equipment.

    Jeremy, Dec 9, 2005
  10. kappo50

    Sheldon Guest

    I got a refurbed Pentax Optio. It was missing a cable, but otherwise has
    worked flawlessly. I got the cable at B&H for about $10. A card reader
    would have done the same thing, and I now have one.

    Sheldon, Dec 10, 2005
  11. Refurbs are a mixed bag, and to some degree it depends on where you buy 'em.
    I bought two refurbished motherboards from NewEgg. One was perfect and the
    other was no good. I bought a refurb Rio MP3 player from Buy.com that I had
    to return.

    I've bought two refurb cameras from Cameta and both are fine, practically
    like new and with the original stickers. The last was a "display model"
    Nikon Coolpix 5400 with came with a non-original lens cap which I had to
    replace (about $5, I think) but two neckstraps, everything else just as if
    bought new. At about $202 that was a bargain, and (unlike other sellers)
    Cameta guarantees their refurbs for a full year. I've dealt with Cameta for
    years and recommend them highly. Some other sellers of refurbs on eBay I'd
    be somewhat leery of, on account of high shipping charges, short guarantee,
    and mediocre feedback.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 10, 2005
  12. I've bought two refurb cameras from Cameta on eBay and both were in mint
    condition, functioning perfectly and guaranteed for a year. I haven't bought
    any other refurbs via eBay, but satisfaction with a few other refurbs
    elsewhere has been mixed.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 10, 2005
  13. kappo50

    Dougie Guest

    I've bought 2 Items also from Cameta Auctions a Nikon 995 Camera and a
    300mm F4 Nikon Lens both refubished never any problem here...BIG Savings too

    Dougie

    Dougie, Dec 10, 2005