    Thanks for any replys. I am wondering, because there is a camera that i
    am looking at.
    Richard

    rjpalace, Jan 7, 2006

  2. rjpalace

    Dave Guest

    By far the best option is the credit card, if for no other reason than
    your purchase is partially insured. I would never never never use a debit
    card online. Be careful buying online. Consider going to photo.net to get
    reviews of the company before you commit money.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 7, 2006

  3. rjpalace

    Crash Gordon Guest

    Some places take debit cards. Although, using a debit makes me a little
    more nervous that using a credit card.

    Crash Gordon, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Was wondering. Do you need a credit card to buy online, or would a
    Assuming your debit card goes through one of the large plastic-money
    services, like VISA, a debit card will work with all online retailers.
    If it's something like "Switch" in the UK or "Handicard" in Australia it
    won't work, AFAIK.

    Derek Fountain, Jan 7, 2006
  5. rjpalace

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Richard,
    A debit card works just find online, although it is treated as a
    credit card by the vendor. Depending on your bank, it might have
    advantages. My bank guarantees correction of any problems with the card
    within 24 hours, and 0 risk for its usage online.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2006
  6. rjpalace

    MaryL Guest

    If you use a credit card, you can file a complaint (often successful) with
    the credit card company if you run into difficulties. If you use a debit
    card, you are entirely on your own. In addition, some credit card companies
    include a 1- or 2-year extended warranty on purchases made with the card
    (but you would need to check with the particular company to verify this).

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Not true with Switch. I have been using Switch on-line for the past 5 years
    with no problems.
    I like it because it is like an instant cheque and comes off your account
    straight away. So theoretically harder to get in debt. If there is no cash
    in your account then they can't take the payment.

    My bank has now changed all its switch cards to "Debit Visa" cards which I
    think is another name for the Delta Visa. I don't know if this is being
    rolled out UK wide.

    Steven.

    Steven Campbell, Jan 7, 2006
  8. If
    What about US based sites - do they understand a Switch card number?

    Derek Fountain, Jan 7, 2006
  9. Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 7, 2006
  10. rjpalace

    Jeremy Guest

    There is a subtle, but significant, aspect of using a "Debit" card through a
    "Credit" card payment system. My bank issued me a debit card with the
    MasterCard logo on it. I can use the card at any merchant that accepts
    Master Card.

    But the card does NOT have the protection offered by MasterCard--and I just
    found that out last week.

    MasterCard offers a Zero Online Fraud protection policy, and all credit card
    transactions are subject to US Federal protection as to the maximum amount
    you can be responsible for if the card was used fraudulently (MasterCard
    advertises a "ZERO" amount if there was fraud).

    Well, I used my MasterCard/ATM Debit card to purchase a piece of jewelry
    from an Irish web site as a Christmas gift. AFTER the site took my order,
    charged me extra for Federal Express overnight delivery, and debited my
    account, they sent me an email advising that the piece was going to be
    custom made, and that I could expect delivery within FOUR WEEKS.

    I phoned my bank and asked about the online fraud protection from
    MasterCard, and the rep told me that these ATM cards were "licensed to use
    the MasterCard logo," but that the fraud policies were set by each
    individual bank, and that the protection that I would have received had I
    used a REAL MasterCard credit card did not apply in my case. My bank was
    willing to investigate, etc., but I had to visit a branch and fill out an
    "Affidavit of Fraud," etc, etc., and wait 10 days for the results of their
    investigation, etc. etc.

    The reason I mention this is that, for years, I have always asked merchants
    to run my card as "Credit," rather than "Debit," being under the erroneous
    assumption that I would have an extra layer of protection by going the
    "credit" route. Not so, as I've learned.

    As an aside, I've noted that PayPal routinely asks customers to select
    "Debit" and pay via an electronic bank debit, rather than using a credit
    card. They will let you pay via the credit card if you really want, but not
    before you first get that screen asking you to change your mind. I wonder
    if one can charge back PayPal for a fraudulent seller transaction, but
    cannot charge them back if the direct bank debit option was used?

    I am starting to think that the old fashioned way of paying BY MAIL, using
    CHECKS rather than these electronic options might afford more protection?
    Someone posted awhile back that if you MAIL an order to a camera dealer, and
    the dealer fails to deliver exactly what was ordered (or strips out the
    accessories, or substitutes gray market goods in place of officially
    imported goods) that the buyer can have the Postal Inspectors (in the US) go
    after the merchant. Same if someone intercepts your check while it is in
    the mail, and tries to cash it. Same with sending letters, versus sending
    emails. Your MAIL is protected by law, while your emails are open for the
    world to see, and to act upon.

    Honestly, I'm thinking that these modern electronic conveniences may come at
    a price--a price that may be getting a bit too high.

    Jeremy, Jan 7, 2006
  11. I picked you up wrong. I don't know now you mention it. Maybe now they
    have changed the switch to a visa debit it will be recognised.

    Steven.

    Steven Campbell, Jan 7, 2006
  12. Mail order laws are in effect even if actual USPS is not used. the term has
    become a bit generic since product is shipped UPS, FedEx etc. Checks may
    be OK if you have a lot of time as most merchant don't trust them and will
    not ship until the check clears.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 8, 2006
  13. rjpalace

    Stormlady Guest

    If you have enough money in your bank account, but not on credit, then why
    not just transfer it to your credit card and then use that? Then you are
    not running up any more credit debt, as you just put the money there to
    cover the expense, and your credit card will probably have some sort of
    insurance against fraudulent use that your debit card won't.

    Stormlady, Jan 8, 2006
  14. Not true with Switch.
    :Shrug: I have no idea myself. I've only ever had a debit card with a
    Visa logo on it.

    In Australia the idea of Visa-based debit cards has only appeared over
    the last year or so. Most people still use the card issued by their
    bank, and they don't work over the net - even with .au based websites.
    Still, Aussie banks are still in the dark ages - free personal banking
    anyone? No chance... :eek:(

    Derek Fountain, Jan 8, 2006
  15. rjpalace

    Paul Murray Guest

    You might want to consider using a credit card instead.
    In the UK your consumer protection is much much stronger when you buy with a
    credit card vs a debit card.
    As an example, some friends of mine ordered a PC, and paid with a debit
    card. The company went bust before delivering. They had no recourse, and
    were placed with other creditors when it came to reying to get some money
    back. If they had paid by credit card the credit card company would have
    been liable to refund them their full amount.

    Paul Murray, Jan 8, 2006
  16. It depends. Most places can take either credit card or debit card, however
    I've had some Paypal auctions where I had to use a credit card rather than my
    bank account backed default Paypal.

    Note, I would strongly urge you to get a real credit card however, since you
    have better options about contesting charges and protections against somebody
    cleaning out your account with a credit card.

    Michael Meissner, Jan 9, 2006
  17. rjpalace

    Paul Bartram Guest

    I've been using a Suncorp-Metway Visa debit card online for at least 4
    years, both here and overseas, without a single 'refusal'.

    As long as I keep $2000 in my Everyday Savings account (connected to that
    card) I don't pay any fees, other than 40c for a direct debit outside
    Metway.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 10, 2006
  18. rjpalace

    Jer Guest

    Some things have changed, my debit card is covered by the same
    protections as that of any major credit card.

    Jer, Jan 10, 2006
  19. I don't use a debit card for anything. You have an opportunity to
    review a credit card bill and contest any bad charges before you pay.
    With a debit card, the money is gone from your account, and you have
    to try to get it back.

    That having been said, many on-line merchants will take a debit card,
    and if your debit card has the Visa logo on it, virtually any merchant
    will take it.

    Personally, if I had the cash but an insufficient credit line, I'd
    prepay a credit card and use it in preference to using a debit card.
    Contact the credit card company before you do this, though.

    Leonard

    Leonard Lehew, Jan 10, 2006
  20. rjpalace

    Jer Guest

    Not entirely true... my debit card has all the same protections as any
    major credit card. I believe it's covered by the issuing bank though,
    instead of Visa, not that I care.

    Jer, Jan 10, 2006