    with the license # already assigned to the laptop? Could I purchase a
    Windows XP home edition retail upgrade package and be legal as well?

    Thank you for your assistance.

    Guest, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Guest

    T-Bone Guest

    Last time I read the agreement, the OEM version must be sold preinstalled on
    a complete system unit.
    The license cannot be removed from the system. So therefore you could
    install 98SE if you have the media. The upgrade edition simply look for a
    qualifying product on the system, so your suggestion should work.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    T-Bone, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Guest

    Louis Friend Guest

    I buy/sell OEM Operating systems legally by including pc hardware with
    the sale. I asked an MS sales rep what qualified as I was including
    either a mouse or keyboard (I couldn't believe how ebay dealers
    offered a cheapo CD ROM audio cable). He said as long as I felt
    comfortable that it went in a computer then it was ok.

    It becomes "married" to whatever you install the machine on. So if
    someone steals your laptop but not your CD under the terms of the
    license you can't install it again on another computer (obviously
    you'd include that software cost in your insurance claim). If you
    tried to install it, Windows XP has that policing mechanism "WPA" to
    impede you or keep you honest depending on your point of view. ;)

    BC

    Louis Friend, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Hi,

    I've been wondering about this since i started to see OEM versions of
    windows XP popping up on Ebay.

    What, if any, are the functional differences of an OEM version than that of
    the retail?
    Are these differences the same for products such as Office XP OEM?

    I am looking at upgrading a number of computers, and would be buying a new
    Mobo & CPU, so i believe that satisfies the criteria for the OEM software -
    but would like to know if anyone has encountered any problems with this
    software or if there are functional differences.

    --
    Regards,
    Michael Patten

    Remember - There are 2 types of users;
    Those that have lost data, and those who are about to.

    Michael Patten, Jan 11, 2005