    Does anyone out there have any experience of buying cameras abroad/america?
    If so
    how does this effect customs and the warenty. Any opinions will be welcome.

    simon morris, Apr 20, 2004

  2. simon morris

    Andrew Guest

    The warrantee depends on the manufacturer, and Customs will add VAT
    onto the cost over 145UKP.

    Andrew, Apr 20, 2004

  3. simon morris

    Felix Guest

    Simon,

    I have bought 3 cameras from the USA; two I brought back myself and
    one I ordered by post.

    Of the two I carried back, one was within my duty free allowance and
    there was no problem. The second was above the limit but when I went
    through the red channel, the Customs officer deducted my duty-free
    allowance from the cost (including US sales tax) and only charged me
    VAT on the difference. Strictly speaking, he should have charged me
    VAT on the total cost, but I was nice to him and smiled, so he didn't
    (my excuse, anyway).

    My best deal was the latest. I bought a Canon E300D and 2 lenses (not
    the kit lens) from B&H in New York over the internet. I ordered on
    Monday afternoon and it was delivered on Wednesday morning. Shipping
    was $68 (and I could track its progress on the Web), customs clearance
    was £11 and I was charged VAT on the total. Compared with UK prices, I
    still saved a fortune. The best thing is that I have just heard (in
    this newsgroup) that Canon will honour the US warranty here.

    Regards,

    Felix

    Felix, Apr 21, 2004