Buying Crucial Brand Memory from Ebay Is it worth the risks?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. Sandra28

    Sandra28 Guest

    I need to upgrade my Dell Pc 4550 Fsb 533mhz purchased Jan 2003 with an
    extra 1 GB RAM (256Ram installed currently)

    and my Packard Bell Laptop R 8750 12 months old by 1 GB RAM too
    (512Ram installed currently)

    Is buying from Ebay worth it could I wreck my Pc by installing substand
    memory thats assuming I am sold Counterfeits or Fakes which I am told
    have poor quality rating?

    The seller on ebay has 100% feedback and is a powerseller.

    I realise I will not have a 12 month gaurantee if I buy on ebay too.
    Heres what Crucial UK
    will be charging me

    Remove Part No. CT563555 512MB, 184-pin DIMM Upgrade for a
    Dell
    Dimension 4550 (533MHz FSB) System £37.99 Quantity 2
    £75.98

    Remove Part No. CT6464X335 512MB, 200-pin SODIMM Quantity 2
    £37.99
    £75.98

    Subtotal £151.96

    Shipping Charge £5.00

    VAT calculated at 21% for Ireland: £32.96

    Estimated Total £189.92 (UK Sterling Currency)
    (Click to recalculate basket if changes are made.)

    Any suggestions? has anyone on here purchased memory on Ebay and been
    happy?
    I keep getting
    windows crashing intermitently despite having fast dsl broadband 2megs
    per second
    what can I do besides upgrading extra memory to improve pc performance.

    I was told by Crucial USA that the average system ram to have in a
    computer is 2 GB this seems like a massive amount was he just saying
    this to increase sales of the Memory he was selling:)?

    Regards

    Sandra

    Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006

  2. Sandra28

    doS Guest

    how you gonna put a 200 pin dimm in a 184 dimm machine, or vice versa?

    doS, Oct 21, 2006

  3. Sandra28

    beenthere Guest

[...]

    Find our if the Ebay stuff is `used` or `new`. And the `make`.
    You didn`t say what his prices were. Not enough info.
    HTH.

    beenthere, Oct 21, 2006
  4. Sandra28

    GHalleck Guest

    If one has any questions buying off eBay, then don't do it.
    There are no secure guarantees or warranties and the buyer
    should always be aware.

    As for upgrading the computers, just how are they being used?
    With a 533-MHz CPU in the Dell, the gains might be marginal.
    As for the Packard Bell, using 1 MB of RAM is considered by
    some to be the "operational" minimum with Windows XP.

    GHalleck, Oct 21, 2006
  5. Sandra28

    GHalleck Guest

    Sorry...minor mis-read of the Dell. Just how fast it and hoq
    is it being used? For real serious work that includes graphics
    and number-crunching, think of 2 MB and eve 3 MB of RAM.

    GHalleck, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Sandra28

    Baron Guest

    I would find out why the machine is crashing first !!

    Baron, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Sandra28

    Sandra28 Guest

    *******
    The Memory is New but its shipped from Hong Kong I asked Crucial on the
    phone did they

    Sandra

    Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006
  8. Sandra28

    Sandra28 Guest

    **********
    PC use sometimes I stream video content of Youtube.com
    on my Dell 4550 Dimensional thats got 256 MB of Ram and 60 GB

    the laptop Packard Bell R8750 just browsing the net its got 512 Ram and
    60 GB harddrive too

    Sandra

    Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006
  9. Sandra28

    Sandra28 Guest

    *********
    It gives error messages that it needs toclose & communicate to
    Microsoft thats using IE and Firefox browsers

    Regards

    Sandra

    Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006
  10. Sandra28

    Sandra28 Guest

    Hi there

    the Dell is 3 years old and now out of warranty now

    Sandra28, Oct 21, 2006
  11. Sandra28

    Neil Green Guest

    **********
    PC use sometimes I stream video content of Youtube.com
    on my Dell 4550 Dimensional thats got 256 MB of Ram
    and 60 GB

    the laptop Packard Bell R8750 just browsing the net
    its got 512 Ram and
    60 GB harddrive too

    Sandra

    For browsing and general use 512Mb is fine, and fine
    to run Win XP as well no matter who tells you
    otherwise.
    Don't waste your money.
    Put an extra 256Mb in the Dell 4550 and that will be
    fine as well, video streaming is more dependant on the
    speed of your internet connection than the PC, and the
    Dell 4550 is more than adequate.
    I would buy the RAM locally if I were you.

    Neil Green, Oct 22, 2006
  12. Sandra28

    Baron Guest

    I agree completely ! But it doesn't solve the problem of why
    the machine is crashing ! Adding more ram won't make it any
    better, and could make the situation worse !

    Baron, Oct 22, 2006
  13. Sandra28

    Scoresby Guest

    If you're a moron, buy from a reputable company, not eBay. It's as
    simple as that.

    Scoresby, Oct 22, 2006
  14. Sandra28

    Neil Green Guest

    Possible but unlikely.
    Simple enough to check the event log for some pointer
    to the crashes, but this type of diagnosis may be
    difficult for Sandra.
    She would be well advised to get a more tech savvy
    friend/acquaintance/workmate or whatever to have a
    look at the machine as sporadic crashes can have a
    number of causes.

    Neil Green, Oct 22, 2006
  15. Sandra28

    Ron Guest

    Sandra download a free program called CPUZ. It will tell you the specs on
    you're memory and then you can buy any brand with the same specs.
    The crashes should be checked out before you upgrade though.

    Ron, Oct 22, 2006