Buying camera Tomorrow afternoon and need help deciding on these two....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by The Spectre, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    Canon A80
    Canon S50

    I can get either one under $400.00 so price is not issue. I wanted to go
    Nikon as I am a long time Nikon user in 35mm, just sold off all my n90S
    equipment. Nikon doesn't really have anything in this type of camera that
    has all features I want or are over priced for what you get especially with
    NO AF assist on any camera (stupid). I was looking at Sony 898, Nikon 5800
    and similar 8mp but I think I will hold of for a year and let the inevitable
    shake out occur the small CCD's on these cameras seem to have maxed out at
    4mp. Also, I am tired of lugging lenses and crap so I really ultimately want
    a pro-sumer all in one high end digital. So for now I want a pocket type
    camera with BEST quality, least shutter lag, BEST exposure latitude
    especially in low light and that is in the $400.00 range. After much
    research I have narrowed it down to these two your opinions are most
    appreciated.

    By the way the runners up that did not make the cut were the;

    Canon SD100
    Nikon 3200
    Nikon 4500
    Nikon 5400

    The Spectre, Feb 2, 2004

  2. The Spectre

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Here's all the help you really need :)

    Take a sheet of paper, make two columns. One column, advantages of the
    A80, the other column you should have figured out by now. Study the two
    columns and your answer should become apparent.

    For a tie breaker, do the same thing, but list disadvantages.

    To be extreme, make a spreadsheet and weight the relative importance of
    each item :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Considering no AF assist, my Nikon CP 4500 was very good. Would focus
    at parties where only a few candles were lit. Not all with AF assist
    will do that. So no problem for me.

    Sold my 4500, got the Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel, and a cheap
    Nikon CP 2500 for backup. The CP2500 was the absolutrely best deal around.
    Low shutter lag is not Canon, except dSLR. Minolta S400 rules here.
    But I did not like its colors. Minolta is also pretty good. There
    is way more out there than what you looked at.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Feb 2, 2004
  4. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    OK, went with the s50 will post my findings....

    The Spectre, Feb 6, 2004