    decision. Can anyone give me some and point to what direction is
    simpler, cost effective and qualitative?
    tnx

    david nnaemeka, Aug 25, 2012

  2. david nnaemeka

    Dan C Guest

    You're a fucking moron. Stick with Windoze, dimwit.

    Dan C, Aug 26, 2012

  3. david nnaemeka

    Moe Trin Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    "Better" is such a loaded term.
    Which is better, a sports car or an eighteen-wheeler truck?
    It depends whether you want to go racing, or haul a hundred
    refrigerators across the country. Neither one is going to be good at
    hauling the wife and nine kids to grandma's place for the holidays.

    What are you trying to do?
    http://tldp.org/guides.html

    Translations of LDP works (languages other than English) can be found
    on the "Non-English Linux Info" links page.

    * The Linux Network Administrator's Guide, Second Edition
    version: 1.1
    authors: Olaf Kirch and Terry Dawson
    last update: March 2000
    ISBN: 1-56592-400-2
    available formats:
    1. HTML (read online) 2. HTML (tarred and gzipped package, 690k)
    3. PDF (1.5MB)

    * Debian GNU/Linux Network Administrator's Manual

    and the howtos from the LDP (http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/
    would be one source - see also ./docs/HOWTO/translations/fr/text/)

    40490 Jun 22 2000 Home-Network-mini-HOWTO
    203891 Sep 29 2004 NET3-4-HOWTO
    45604 Apr 18 2006 Networking-Overview-HOWTO
    76194 Jan 5 2010 Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO

    and then the Netfilter.org howtos (there is a French directory you
    should probably check as well)

    http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/

    [TXT] NAT-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 25K
    [TXT] netfilter-double-nat-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 9.3K
    [TXT] netfilter-extensions-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 80K
    [TXT] netfilter-hacking-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 81K
    [TXT] networking-concepts-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 28K
    [TXT] packet-filtering-HOWTO.txt 18-Dec-2010 13:56 51K

    "simple / cost / capable" - that depends on what you're trying to
    do. I certainly wouldn't try to replace the big Cisco routers at work
    (7 local subnets, gateways to three other company facilities and the
    outside world - about 3000 computers) with a PC with a couple of extra
    network cards. On the other hand, at home, I was using the remains of
    a laptop as a firewall and router (9 computers locally).

    Briefly, you want to look at how much traffic you're moving, what kind
    and how many networks (Ethernet, fiber, wireless, X25), and what OTHER
    features like firewalls and policy routing you may want to have.

    So - sports car, or 18 wheel truck with 30 ton capacity, or a small bus?

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Aug 26, 2012
  4. david nnaemeka

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    He's not good at asking the right question, but you are rude.
    *plonk*

    Jorgen Grahn, Aug 26, 2012
  5. "Not good" is the understatement of the year
    I for my part think that he should not have insulted the real "fucking
    morons" by comparing them to that guy

    Peter Köhlmann, Aug 26, 2012
  6. Routers are small and cheap and they do everything that most people need
    to do, why wouldn't you use one? The router offloads that function from
    your computer and it also isolates it from the main OS. The only reason I
    can think of using a software router is if you need enterprise level
    routing capabilities and you can't afford an enterprise router but it's
    hard to imagine a situation where that the case. An organization large
    enough to require an enterprise router can afford one. BTW if you do want
    more sophisticated routing capabilities at a consumer price, there are
    standard consumer routers that can run Linux. You still have a cheap,
    small and low power device handling the function and you have all of the
    capabilities that are built into the Linux kernel.

    General Schvantzkoph, Aug 27, 2012
  7. david nnaemeka

    Dave Guest

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    BTW if you do want
    The thing to search for here is OpenWrt or DD-Wrt, then you can pick a
    router from the compatibility list.

    Dave, Aug 27, 2012
  8. david nnaemeka

    Whiskers Guest

    Organisations don't get large and wealthy by buying routers when
    they've got obsolete desktop computers that no-one will use on a desk.

    Whiskers, Aug 27, 2012
  9. david nnaemeka

    telsar Guest

    Buy a router and learn to use it. Buy a old cheap PC with multiple
    ethernet devices or wireless and learn to use the PC as a router. Many
    of the little routers these days are running Linux anyway, only
    embedded. Learn to use both...interchangeably.

    telsar, Aug 27, 2012
  10. Organisations don't get large and wealthy by buying routers when
    Actually, they do: it's much cheaper to buy an off-the-shelf router than
    to pay someone to configure a desktop computer to do the same.
    And the electricity bill, noise, and maintenance costs will also
    be lower. It just makes a lot of sense, financially.

    Stefan

    Stefan Monnier, Aug 29, 2012
  11. They are both the samething routing in linux kernel and routing on a
    router is practially the same thing.

    Which is better depends on what you mean by better and of course your
    enviroment.

    If you in a business then a hardware router is probabaly better as its
    switched on 24 hours and built for the job. Linux will do the job as
    well but you will normally need a PC to run it on this well need to be
    reliable if in a business as like I said before it will be on 24 hours
    a day.

    So for reliablilty (hardware) I would always choose hardware router

    cheap and chearful for a home user if they dont already have routing on
    their internet modem/router then linux is ok but for most home use
    routing is not normally required!

    if you want a fuller answer then I suggest you give a little bit more
    information to you exact requirement

    Simon Quantrill, Aug 29, 2012
  12. david nnaemeka

    orcus Guest

    It's true only for SOHO routers.

    In linux box decision how to handle incoming packet is made by kernel
    code. It depends on data provided by various userspace daemons which set
    routing table and firewall rules. At the time software(kernel included)
    eats all its resources(heavy trafic, ddos, etc.) kernel don't have
    a chance to run "routing code". Often there are problems even in lower
    layer - linux cannot handle getting packets from interface when there is
    a lot of inbound packets. There was some enhancements in networking
    kernel code last years, but its still fully software based. I think
    it will always be in desktop machines since they have no specialized
    routing hardware.

    In enterprise class routers there is a feature called forwarding plane
    and control plane separation. Decision on packet handling is made by
    piece of hardware which is autonomous. Control plane is "programming"
    forwarding plane but if control plane is busy(lot of new routing
    information) or even dead packets are still following already programmed
    routes. Same for firewall rules, but only in high-end equipment.

    orcus, Aug 29, 2012
  13. Thanks for sharing I havent gone into it the depth you have intresting reply

    Simon Quantrill, Aug 29, 2012