    same time, I could buy this camera via the US online shop for US$280...

    Thanks,
    \/.

    Panno Zhai, May 8, 2006

  2. Panno Zhai

    Marvin Guest

    Some of the online shops are not honest dealers. They will
    offer a greta price, and then refuse to sell unless you buy
    expensive extras. It is unwise to buy from someone who
    offers an unreasonable low price.

    Marvin, May 8, 2006

  3. Panno Zhai

    grruffbowwow Guest

    Try the Z-6, it was the latest model from Konica Minolta before they
    closed their doors; it may be the Z-5 is higher priced because it's in
    short supply. I found the K-M Z-6 at B&H Photo (www.bhphotovideo.com)
    for U.S.$275, they ship world-wide....

    grruffbowwow, May 8, 2006
  4. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Thanks for reply. I checked the specs -- Z6 has a shutter lag of 0.48
    sec, and Z5 has a shutter lag of 0.35 sec. Short shutter lag is
    important for me, so I would prefer Konika-Minolta Z5.

    I did more research on the Internet, and I found two good cameras with
    an extra-short shutter lag. It is Canon PowerShot A700 (0.04 sec), and
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 (~0.1 sec). They cost US$280 and US$400
    respectively, from an online Hong Kong shop. I presume that with an
    increase of mere $120, I would get a very good camera (Lumix). It
    should have a lens which would provide better shots than Canon. I am
    concerned that the P&S cameras generally provide low details when the
    shot is made in underlighted area, say indoors. Lumix's lens should
    have an edge over Canon. Is this correct ??

    \/

    Panno Zhai, May 9, 2006
  5. Panno Zhai

    Panno Zhai Guest

    Lumix LX1 is such a toy. But noticeably more expensive than Canon A700.
    If I eventually get Canon A700, will I be sorry that I did not get
    Lumix when looking at the quality of pictures ?

    \/

    Panno Zhai, May 9, 2006
  6. Panno Zhai

    T Guest

    Reviews said that the Z6 wasn't as good as the Z5.

    T, May 9, 2006
  7. Panno Zhai

    grruffbowwow Guest

    The shutter lag issue is important, but it's not the be-all and
    end-all; there's not that much difference between 0.48 and 0.35
    seconds. They're both average at best. You adapt your shooting "style"
    to the shutter lag after a while and you won't often notice it unless
    you go back to a film camera. As well, pretty much all compact cameras
    have at least SOME appreciable lag compared to a film camera or dSLR. I
    have owned a dSLR and 3 digicams, an HP 315xi (glacially slow), Oly
    C-5060 (average) and Fuji F10 (very fast); my Oly E-300 (moderately
    slow for a dSLR) beats the pants off them all for startup, autofocus
    speed and shutter lag.
    I don't really know, I don't own either of them. In general, the Canon
    "A" series cameras have been popular; I've not heard of any bad ones.
    My father owns an A520 and it suits him. The construction is a bit
    flimsy, though, a minor tumble onto hard dirt broke the casing soon
    after he got it.

    The Panasonic Lumix line has it's fans, I like the image quality at low
    ISOs and the optical image stabilization (OIS). I read a thread
    recently from a very enthusiastic Panasonic owner, who insisted that
    his new LX-1 gave him better results than his dSLR. At higher ISO's
    there's a lot of noise in all the Panasonic cameras, but the OIS
    apparently helps with hand shake at longer exposures so you can keep
    the ISO down. Doesn't stop subject motion, though, which is why I got a
    Fuji F10 as a pocketable camera instead.

    Good luck.

    grruffbowwow, May 9, 2006
  8. Panno Zhai

    gr Guest