    just want to scan them once, at the highest resolution. Don't wany the
    Minolta.

    How long should I wait for a 5000 dpi Coolscan before giving in?

    jameshamilton777, Aug 2, 2005

  2. It is not very likely that this is going to work. There are too many
    parameters that influence the quality of a scan. If you want to optimize
    them all, scanning takes forever.

    It is much more practical to settle for a lower scan quality for all
    frames and re-scan the best frames whenever you need high quality scans.

    Philip Homburg, Aug 2, 2005

  3. jameshamilton777

    Father Kodak Guest

    True enough, but the OP was asking if a "mythical" Coolscan 6000 was
    going to appear any time soon, the unstated assumption being that the
    6000 would yield a better scan, all else equal, than the 5000.

    Rumor mill, anyone?

    Groundless speculation?

    Anyone on an acid trip care to comment?

    Father kodak

    Father Kodak, Aug 3, 2005
  4. jameshamilton777

    birdman Guest

    I would not hold my breath that Nikon will make substantial improvements to
    the 5000. The quality of scans possible with the 5000 exceeds the needs of
    all but a niche market, and the entire film niche is rapidly eroding. In
    fact if one is in the market for a high quality film scanner now may be the
    time to buy . . . .

    birdman, Aug 3, 2005
  5. I think it is unlikely that a 5000 or 6000 dpi Coolscan will appear soon.
    Technically it should not be very hard. Take the sensor of the LS-9000,
    change the optics a bit the increase the magnification by a factor of
    1.5 and you have a 6000 dpi scanner.

    However, even sharp color films do not have significant details above 80 lp/mm
    (which corresponds to 4000 dpi). So the extra resolution will be used to
    reduce the effects of grain aliasing.

    Sharp b/w film does go beyond 80 lp/mm, but the use of LED light sources and
    the lack of ICE does not make the Coolscans all that practical for B/W
    scans.

    The fact that the LS-5000 is a 4000 dpi scanner suggests that Nikon does not
    believe that increasing the resolution is very important.

    Philip Homburg, Aug 3, 2005