    I'm currently printing A3+ (admittedly on matte paper) my ancient 12
    MP D300 seems to be doing a magnificent job.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Jan 13, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Of course not. But the Nikon and Sony ranges include some lenses that
    would be good enough, and a 25 MP APS-C DSLR would generate strong
    demand for those lenses.

    For that reason alone, dealers and distributors are likely to be
    supportive, as selling lenses is more profitable than selling DSLRs.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2011
  4. RichA

    Rich Guest

    I'd still be very interested in the result of their efforts. I'd do
    it without an AA filter as well. Push the envelope if noise isn't a
    major consideration. A high res camera, 1/4 the price of the D3x for
    use primarily at 400 ISO and under.
    Problem is, if you wanted to do wide field work, it is likely you'll
    get better optical quality from a 24mm lens on a FF than an 18mm lens
    on an APS. Faster too.

    Rich, Jan 13, 2011
  5. RichA

    Rich Guest

    Which (wide to normal) lenses in the APS series can handle that pixel
    count? They'd have to be better (higher resolution) than the FX
    lenses at the same pixel count.

    Rich, Jan 13, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Why are you asking only about DX lenses? There is nothing to stop
    people using FX lenses on a "25 MP D400".

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2011
  7. RichA

    Rich Guest

    It's a waste of money. If they come out with a 25mp APS they should
    have lenses for it that can support it. There is no point in using
    more expensive, wasteful and larger FX lenses.

    Rich, Jan 13, 2011
  8. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    Damn!

    That's metrication for you. I never recognised 13" x 19" as A3+. To me
    A3+ is 329 x 483. Somehow, that sounds bigger.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Jan 13, 2011
  9. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Unless you're planning to get a FX body later. Who wants to buy all
    new lenses every time they upgrade bodies?

    Ok, maybe a lot of us would *want* to, but how many can afford to?

    Anyway, if they have developed sensor tech that allows decent
    performance at that pixel density, an APS sensor would be a logical,
    less expensive, step toward an FX sensor at that density. Lets them
    work some of the kinks out before applying it to pro gear.

    John A., Jan 13, 2011
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Don't be ridiculous. Lots of people own DX cameras and FX lenses.
    People buy lenses that they like and/or that suit them best, and that
    certainly doesn't exclude using FX lenses on a DX body. Other people
    have owned FX lenses since they used 35mm film SLRs. There is
    absolutely no reason not to use them.

    You really have some strange ideas about how people behave. Here's a
    clue: most people are not like you. Another clue: they do not share
    your strange little ideas.

    Understand that, and you might begin to make some sense.

    We can only hope.

    Bruce, Jan 13, 2011
  11. Well, a diffraction limit at about f/6.3, roughly. We are talking
    really good lenses.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Jan 14, 2011
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Olympus did it. I'm sure Nikon can.

    RichA, Jan 14, 2011
  13. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    I find that on a per square meter basis it's the cheapest way to buy
    paper.

    It probably works that way in square inches, also.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Jan 14, 2011
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Nikon already has. But if the D400 does get a 25 MP sensor, you can
    bet that Nikon will wish to exploit the demand for more and better DX
    lenses.

    Just as the superb Canon EOS 7D revitalised interest in Canon's APS-C
    offerings, a high-MP D400 would do the same for Nikon's. It would be
    disappointing if a D400 came with "only" the 16.2 MP of the D7000.

    Bruce, Jan 14, 2011
  15. RichA

    Eric Stevens Guest

    That's interesting. The driver for my Epson Pro 3800 has no Super B
    but it does have a Super A 329 x 483.

    Eric Stevens

    Eric Stevens, Jan 15, 2011
  16. RichA

    peter Guest

    I take small crops from my and blow them up.
    BTW not all of us stick to 13x19.

    peter, Jan 19, 2011
  17. RichA

    peter Guest

    I hope this doesn't start a holy war. Do you think GF produces a better
    image than CS5?
    I have not seen any difference in the results.

    peter, Jan 19, 2011
  18. RichA

    peter Guest

    thanks,

    I had tried it a few years ago, but saw no real advantage. I will give
    it a shot and see if it works better for me.

    peter, Jan 20, 2011
  19. RichA

    peter Guest

    I know what you mean. The problem becomes worse as you get near the end
    of the roll.

    peter, Jan 21, 2011