Building my CISCO (CCNP CCIE) Home Lab

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JohnNews, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. JohnNews

    JohnNews Guest

    Folks:

    I am in the process of building my own moderate CCNP & CCIE home lab.

    The basic design is taken from www.optsys.net and looks lik this:
    ************************************
    One BASIC rack

    Three Cisco 2501 routers, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash
    Two Cisco 2503 routers, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash
    One Cisco 2511 router, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash
    One Cisco 2514 router, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash
    One Cisco 2522 router, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash
    One 2620 router, 64MB Dram/16MB Flash
    2x wic-1t (DB60 Serial Ports for 26xx router above)

    Catalyst 3550 w/ emi software
    ISDN Simulator

    All routers with 12.x Enterprise Plus IOS
    Rack ears for all routers
    Power Cables for all Devices
    Two octal cables
    Twelve DTE/DCE DB60 serial cross-over cables
    Eight Ethernet transceivers
    DOC CD and console cable kit
    ************************************

    Here are a few related questions:

    * What is WIC?
    * What is the name (and cost) of any BASIC rack that I would need to
    support these devices of my CISCO lab?
    * Why do I need 8 tranceivers and what purpose do transceivers play?
    * Why do I need 12 DTE/DCE DB60 serial cross-over cables. What role do
    these play?
    * Why do I need 2 octal cables
    * What is this EMI software for Catalyst 3550 Switch?
    * For my 26xx routers, would I have to buy separate voice interface cards?
    * I notice that some routers have 8/16/64 Mb memory. Can I use 64Mb for
    all of my routers

    Thanks,
    John.

    JohnNews, Sep 8, 2003

  2. JohnNews

    Brad Ellis Guest

    Brad Ellis, Sep 8, 2003

  3. JohnNews

    Sean Guest

    Here are a few related questions:
    WAN Interface card, this can be a serial, ethernet, adsl, etc.
    Lots of brands available. Contact your local electronic/telco supplier,
    you can generally get a rack for under 200$
    You should probably look into some basic networking courses if you don't
    know this one. CCIE is a great goal to have, but remember to learn your
    basics.
    Trancievers handle (some of)the physical layer aspects of networking.
    Most older 2500 series routers with ethernet have AUI adapters for their
    ethernet connection. This allows you the flexibility of using 10bT or
    10b2, etc. Rather than being stuck with a single type of connection, i.e.
    RJ-45
    These are here to connect your 2500 series routers back to back (i.e.
    without other equipment like a CSU/DSU)
    The octal cables let you use the 2511 as a terminal server. This means
    you have one device you can telnet to, that will connect you to the
    console port of your other routers.
    This is just a time saver. It keeps you from having to swich your console
    cable out over and over between various routers. It also allows you to
    have several routers open at the same time, without using any serial ports
    on your computer.
    EMI is just the (more) feature rich version of the 3550 software. Some of
    the features only in that version will be covered on the CCIE test.
    cards?

    Yes, if you plan to incorporate voice into your labs.
    No. The 2500s max memory is 16, other routers have other max ram values.
    Also if you happen to get a hold of a 2611XM (or any XM series), it's max
    RAM is 128, not 64.

    Hope this helps.

    -Sean

    Sean, Sep 8, 2003
  4. JohnNews

    Jeff C Guest

    Brad gave you a pretty neutral answer. After reading you question I was
    tempted to respond with... Do you have a CCNA? If so how did you not learn
    this stuff in doing that. I guess that if you just read books to pass then
    you missed the experiance os hands on labs (I'll get my attitude checked
    eventually... :)
    A Wide Area Interface Card, typically a T1 or Fractional T1 card (for the
    2600 series router in this case)
    I think they are simply grouping these devices into the "basic" catagory.
    You could just pile these things one atop the other for a home lab.
    A tranceiver is (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/computing/transceiver) used
    to connect the 2500 series routers to an ethernet cable.
    The DTE/DCE cables simulate a WAN connection between serial interfaces.
    You don't need the Octal cables if you are sitting in the same room. These
    just make it much easier to set up a console conection to all of those
    devices. They would be used in conjunction with the 2511.
    EMI is enhanced software (can't remember exatcly what the letters stand for)
    it allows the 3550 switch to function as a router and I am sure adds other
    features usefull for CCIE practice.
    cards?

    To work some of the practice labs for CCIE you will need FXS & FXO cards.
    This will allow you to demo SRRT, survivable remote site telephony.
    If the router supports it, sure. I think the 2500 tops out at 16/16

    Good Luck,
    -Jeff C

    Jeff C, Sep 8, 2003
  5. i had the same feeling..have you got CCNA ?

    Marcin Strzyzewski, Sep 9, 2003
  6. JohnNews

    timaz

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Mr. Brad Ellie. I'm in the middle of the same problem like others in Building CCNP Home Lab! I Want you to really help me. I wanna exactly the equipments and their quantity to build the BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW and ONT Scenarios and I dont have alot money (less or more 5000$). my email is . please contact me

    timaz, Jun 28, 2008
  7. JohnNews

    carlespacor

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,

    Although I guess that this answer is topic is far too old now, I'll tell you the lab I use for CCNP (increased since my CCNA).

    For BSCI I'm using:
    2 * 3640 (1 * Base IOS, 1 * IOS Adv. Ent.)
    3 * 2610xm (1 * Base IOS, 1 * IOS Adv. Ent., 1 * Voice Plus IOS+CME)
    1 * 2511 (16 lines access router)
    1 * PIX-515E

    For BCMSN I've bought:
    1 * 3550-24-SMI
    1 * 2948G-L3
    2 * Catalyst 2950G-EMI
    2 * Catalyst 2950T
    2 * Catalyst 2950

    NM and WICs bought:
    2 * NM-4T
    1 * NM-4AS
    1 * NM-1FE2W
    3 * NM-1E2W
    1 * WIC-2T
    4 * WIC-1T
    Several WIC-1BRI (were included with routers but I'm not using them)

    Books bought:
    All Cisco authorized self-study guides (BSCI, BCMSN)
    All Cisco authorized certifications guides (BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT)
    All cisco command references (BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW, ONT)
    Labs for BSCI.
    Cisco BGP-4 configuration.
    Cisco OSPF configuration.
    Cisco Troubleshooting Routing Protocols.

    Last three books are harder than CCNP guides but are intended for CCIE aspirants so they go deeper in subjects which are part of CCNP and where you might like to learn more.

    All together (Hardware + Books) = 2500 euros.

    Cheers,
    Carles

    carlespacor, Aug 20, 2009
  8. JohnNews

    rinoel

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2009
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    All the routers mentioned above you got them for only 2500 euros ??? woow, where do u got them?

    rinoel, Aug 21, 2009
  9. JohnNews

    emedina31

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Assistance with IOS version for 2511, 2514, 2610, 2621

    Hi Brad,

    I could use some help with my home lab. I have the following and would like to know what IOS would best to help me pass my CCNP. Thank for any help.

    (2) 2514, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash flash:c2500-is-l.123-20.bin
    (1) 2511, 16MB Dram/16MB Flash flash:c2500-is-l.123-20.bin (Access Server)
    (1) 2610, 64MB Dram/16MB Flash flash:c2600-j1s3-mz.123-10.bin
    (1) 2621 64MB Dram/16MB Flash flash:c2600-is4-mz.123-23.bin
    (1) 2950

    emedina31, Mar 24, 2010
  10. JohnNews

    emedina31