    layouts etc. .

    has anyone undertaking such a project, any links to set ups ?.

    thank you

    picture taker, Sep 1, 2006

  2. picture taker

    stauffer Guest

    Not intentionally, but we built a sun porch a year ago. It has windows
    on three sides, and faces south. It has proved to be a great studio!
    We do a lot of tabletop (macro) stuff, and we close the blinds on any
    direct rays, the rest of the windows giving a nice even lighting. We
    can of course use floods or flashes also. I made a stand for a
    backdrop reel, but am redoing it to make it stronger and bigger.

    stauffer, Sep 2, 2006

  3. picture taker

    C Wright Guest

    I have no idea where you could find actual plans but what you might do is
    search for photographer's rental studio space. Many of them show pictures
    of the studio available for rent or at least describe the space and
    facilities. Also, local portrait photographers might be willing to show you
    their studios. If you have windows in the room at all, north facing windows
    are preferable. Ceiling heights of at least 11-12 feet are preferable.
    Chuck

    C Wright, Sep 2, 2006
  4. picture taker

    Pete Guest

    There are various books on this subject. See for example ISBN 0817454640.
    You can buy it used on Amazon for US$3.50.

    Pete, Sep 2, 2006
  5. picture taker

    Frank ess Guest

    We did our 20x20-foot 'den' with 4x8 open-beam ceiling. A backdrop
    reel is pretty well hidden behind the last-but-one beam.

    Since we are in San Diego, outdoor living is pretty much year-'round.
    In the patio we put up one of the Dixieline assemble-it-yourself
    'gazebo' frames with a beige fabric top. That's where I do most
    daytime work. Nice even lighting, and so far color balance hasn't been
    a problem, what with in-camera and Photo Shop adjustments.

    Sometimes I just step outside the gazebo for direct sunlight. I have
    gold, silver, and white collapsable reflectors, and one white
    translucent diffuser-reflector. With old tripods, clamps, and a couple
    of light-stands they allow pretty good control of light. A few months
    back Sears had a sale on halogen shop lights, two 250-watters on a
    collapsable stand, $19.95. Couldn't pass that up, and it has come in
    handy for 'studio' work.

    Frank ess, Sep 2, 2006
  6. You need a minimum of 10 ft. ceilings. My studio was 11x21, and that
    was too narrow for anything more than 3 people. As to Master Rail type
    lighting or using stands, I always preferred stands. Seems I'd always
    bump my head on the damned Master Rails when I'd go to a friend's
    studio. But that's personal preference.

    Randall Ainsworth, Sep 5, 2006