Buddy.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Matt, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hi I would appreciate some help on this one. I have Norton Internet
    Security Installed on my PC running Win98. It keeps telling me that a
    program called buddy.exe is attempting to connect to the internet, I do not
    give it permission to do so and Norton Keeps popping up with the message
    every now and again. I searched my hard drives for buddy and it found 2.

    One is buddy.exe located in C:\WINDOWS and the other is buddy.lgc and it is
    located in C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG.

    Now another strange this is, I deleted both of these files several times,
    but they keep returning within a short space of time.

    I always keep my Norton up to date with the latest updates and virus
    signatures and this isn't picking anything up.

    I also downloaded Adaware from Lavasoft, this isn't picking anything up
    either, so I downloaded Spybot search and destroy. This isn't finding
    anythis suspicious either.

    So as you can see I would really appreciate some help.

    When I look at the properties of buddy.exe it says in the Company Name
    section "Direct Revenue".

    In the meantime I have stopped it connectiong to the internet permanently
    through Nortons "Always use this action" option.

    I just can't get rid of the little bugger.......HELP!

    Matt, Dec 1, 2004

  2. David Postill, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Matt

    ToYKillAS Guest

    do you use lots of peer2peer software
    coz they are EVIL!
    in the past i got bonzi buddy when installing imesh i think
    ad-aware works pretty good with this

    use peer2peer at your own risk ;)

    ToYKillAS, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Matt

    donnie Guest

    #######################
    xscs.exe
    xsscs.exe
    ezstub.exe
    mfffxs.exe
    overpro-347
    buddy.exe
    webrebate.exe

    Search the registry for those files and delete them.
    donnie

    donnie, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Nothing works still! I have just noticed though, if I go into control
    panel, add/remove programs, there is an entry in there called Ceres. Now
    when i try to uninstall it, a box comes up saying Web Uninstall, then Norton
    kicks in again saying Uninstal.exe is attempting to access the internet. I
    have blocked it for the time being, do you reckon i should give it
    permission to connect?

    Matt, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Matt

    nemo outis Guest

    Nip on over to:

    alt.privacy.spyware

    and ask there.

    Or google that group's past posts - lots of stuff on "buddy"
    variants.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Matt